LoN... New set Unattune Items

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-NytewolfDarkassassin, Sep 28, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Crismorn Guest

Xalmat wrote:
    Good, SoE can make some more $ and some players will get to move an item from their Illy to their Wizard and since I dont buy LoN cards I will never get it outside of my free 5 packs a month.
    It does not bother me in the least, I'm just glad that SoE finally dumbed the game down in a way that could actually benefit a raider as well for once, heck maybe they will do it again someday,
  2. ARCHIVED-Thunndar316 Guest

PlaneCrazy wrote:
    Cause my friends are on Crushbone perhaps?
    I don't have to switch servers because I don't like policy. I try to change the policy.
  3. ARCHIVED-Yimway Guest

Thunndar316 wrote:
    I'm also for this, however that is a completely separate discussion.
    The issue here is unmitigated greed from SoE and the fools that will throw piles of money at LoN packs to be able to move choice gear off a former main.
    I'm all for a company turning a profit, however in this case the cost of providing this item vs the cost to obtain pushes my morality buttons.
    If it was $30 bucks on SC, it would bother me far less. But I fear I'm going to hear about some fool spending 400 bucks on lon cards and weeping cause he missed his car payment and didn't get the item.
    Some will say the fool is the only culpable party in that transaction, however I personally think SoE shares in that, and thats why this item provided in this delivery mechanism turns my stomach and just adds to the bails of straw on my camels back.
  4. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

Atan@Unrest wrote:
    No it's not. It's the same discussion. Anything that allows you to unattune an item calls into question the existence of the attune mechanic in the first place.
    Now if you're talking the no-trade or heirloom mechanic, that is a different story.
  5. ARCHIVED-Crismorn Guest

Attune was added years ago so SoE could later add an unattune item and make a bunch of $.
  6. ARCHIVED-Skywarrior Guest

Thunndar316 wrote:
    This is sort of really tangental to the actual topic but I wanted to comment anyway. I'm for a free market as well - in real life. The problem is that a game economy (at least in these games at this time) there is no such thing as a workable free market. Everything is controlled by the game according to the developers' design goals. Item drop rates, coin drop rates, harvest items, everything is controlled by the software in accordance with a desired outcome in the design.
    If players find a way to affect a rare item that is highly prized to make it less rare then the devs will find a way to close that loophole. No Trade and Attunable are simply tags put in the game to help alleviate the item availability problem. If the tags were not there, then the items in question would likely have an overall drop rate far below what currently exists in order to keep the overall numbers of the items in circulation down. This is the way that EQ1 worked in the early days - extremely powerful but tradeable items that dropped very rarely from a rarely spawned and contested mob. People got really fed up with those kinds of camps. Most of us still shudder when we think on them. So they changed the equation to make the items a bit less powerful and dropped a bit more often or had the mob spawn a bit more often. When players pined for more powerful items more often (less boredom) the decision was made to use item tags that effectively took the gear out of circulation (no trade/bind on pickup).
    The point is that game economies MUST be controlled in some fashion because there is no limit to resources entering the game over time. Any game economy is ultimately based on unlimited supply (everything respawns at some point) and limited demand (active players who need/want something). How much would any Master spell be worth right now in the game if every player could loot a master, memorize it, use it until he got the upgraded spell in the next tier, then somehow put it back on a scroll and sell it to someone else to use? Now think about the same thing with Adept spells. After a while there would be absolutely no real reason for anyone to spend any time harvesting rares because every single Adept and Master spell in the game would be available dirt cheap on the broker. Supply and demand.
    I would love to see a game that could actually work with a free market model. I don't expect one any time soon.
  7. ARCHIVED-Jrral Guest

Shardcj@Nagafen wrote:
    I noticed. What I didn't notice was anything saying whether this was an unlimited-use item, or a limited-charge or one-time item. If it's a limited-use item it should be OK, but an unlimited-use item gives one person an insane advantage (think never having to buy equipment again).
  8. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

You bring up a good point Skywarrior. What about spells?
    Previous tier masters that gain upgrades are relatively worthless, but current tier Experts still retain value. If one had a current-tier Expert, and upgraded to Master, and were able to "unattune" the current-tier Expert, it would devalue future Expert spells.
  9. ARCHIVED-Grumble69 Guest

Each month I open my 5 free packs. It's 50/50 whether I get some useless house item or nothing at all. *shrug* The only reason I check LoN is for the occasional scenario that gives a free AA potion. That's it really.
  10. ARCHIVED-LardLord Guest

Skywarrior wrote:
    Good explanation of why no-trade/heirloom tags are important, but I don't think that logic comes into play when you're considering using an heirloom item and then passing it along to an alt.
    I'd be interested to hear if anyone could explain what's so game-breaking about passing along heirloom items to alts after using them on a main.
  11. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

Quabi@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    It eliminates the need for you to reacquire that item for that character, thus reducing demand and increasing supply. That is unless you actively go out and farm it for both characters to wear at the same time. On the other hand, if the item is not attuneable, and if every time you change characters you make a pit stop to the shared bank, then essentially you're reusing the same item across multiple characters.
    In essence, it devalues what makes rare items valuable: their rarity.
    This was how the game was when it first launched, prior to adding the attune mechanic.
  12. ARCHIVED-ThomasCH Guest

I'd rather have been able to buy a potion through the market but even this will do. Thanks!
    Now, if you would allow PvP to PvE and linking accounts you guys could make a lot of extra moneys!
  13. ARCHIVED-LardLord Guest

Xalmat wrote:
    Heirloom items don't really factor into the supply/demand equation, though, unless you're talking about selling looting rights.
    At launch, if my memory is right, the main problem was selling gear to other players after outgrowing it? That's not a problem with Heirloom items. You can already easily get Mark and Seal gear (and BG gear) for your alts to bypass top-tier crafted gear, and it's not really much of an issue.
  14. ARCHIVED-Dreadpatch Guest

15. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

Again, HEIRLOOM has absolutely nothing to do with ATTUNEABLE. There are tradeable items that are ATTUNEABLE, and HEIRLOOM items that are not ATTUNEABLE. HEIRLOOM was only added so that you wouldn't have to switch characters to loot an item for an alt; you could loot it on your main instead, and HEIRLOOM it down via the shared bank. However it is still ATTUNEABLE, which means once it's equipped, it's stuck on that character.
    Either way you still need to acquire the item for that character. And once it's attuned, it's stuck on that character.

Seriously, people need to learn the difference between ATTUNEABLE and HEIRLOOM.
    • ATTUNEABLE - Once equipped, it can no longer be traded
    • HEIRLOOM - Only tradeable via the shared bank, not tradeable with other players once looted
    There are ATTUNEABLE items that are tradeable but not heirloom, and there are items that are HEIRLOOM and not attuneable
  16. ARCHIVED-LardLord Guest

Xalmat wrote:
    Yeah, I'm saying that, while I see a clear need for NO-TRADE or HEIRLOOM tags on items, and I see a clear need for the ATTUNEABLE tag on tradable items, I do not see a reason for HEIRLOOM items to also have the ATTUNEABLE tag.
  17. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

Have you forgotten that most HEIRLOOM items used to be NO-TRADE and required looting it on that specific character to use?
  18. ARCHIVED-LardLord Guest

Xalmat wrote:
    Not at all, but it's not going to break the game if people can suddenly pass along used heirloom items to their alts. It's probably not going to have any effect on you at all. Worst-case scenario, there will be less demand if you try to sell looting rights on an item.
    By contrast, if everything were tradable, margainilizing the attuneable tag could royally screw up gear progression. Everyone and their brother could easily acquire raid gear (at least low-end raid gear) by the end of the expansion by just spending a relatively small amount of plat on the broker.
  19. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

Sigh, this isn't about HEIRLOOM mechanics.
    This is about ATTUNEABLE mechanics.
    There is a MAJOR difference.
  20. ARCHIVED-Crismorn Guest

Xalmat wrote:
    Their is nothing rare in this game anymore, well except for this new unattune item.