LFG Window

Discussion in 'Developer Roundtable' started by ARCHIVED-Rothgar, Dec 10, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Linaan Guest

I don't think the checkboxes are very important. By now most people have a good idea what to expect or rather what is needed out of most classes, i.e. tank, healer, dps, support. Most of the time I use the simpler lfg window when searching for group members.
    However, having the ability to look through a search and find player that is willing to play x, y, z class (his/her alts) as someone has mentioned would certainly further assist in groups getting together.

What honestly helps me the most in grouping though, is using my friends list as a directory for players who I'd like to group with.
    If this friends list could be made so its universal among all my characters, then that would be excellent so I could see who's on with any of my alts and see if we could get a group going. I often run into people that I've had a really good experience with but never grouped with before. I simply just don't remember who that person is, with so many players, that I have to add them to my friends list.
  2. ARCHIVED-Alienor Guest

would be cool if the lfg tool could parse the chat and as soon as somebody enters something like "80 guard lfg CoA" this person get's the LFG flag switched on. Sadly, chat is currently the lfg tool, not the UI window
  3. ARCHIVED-Lord Montague Guest

I think the LFM feature of the window is a very wonderful idea with a LOT of unrealized potential (mainly due to almost no one on my server uses it much). I attribute this to the cumbersome effort it takes to get to that window, coupled with the natural human tendency to be lazy. What I find mind-boggling is so many people were begging for this feature before it came out, and then once it was out it just sort of went by the wayside. What the heck happened there?
  4. ARCHIVED-Thantoes Guest

I haven't used it in a very long time. From my experiance, most people/groups these days are min/maxing and only want either the "perfect" setup with guildmates or already have a set group of people they play with (usually RL friends)and only use the LFG if they can not fill with the people they normally group with.
    Then they will spam the chat channels a few times looking for a certian type of charactor (I.E. 'chanter, plate heals). THEN if you respond and they don't know you very well will say "Sorry we're full" or something along those lines. And Yea yea I can hear them now = Make friends, join a guild, this is a MULTI PLAYER game.
    Well I had what I thought were friends, but after getting screwed too many times, I decided to go a different route. With my play times (odd hours- short time frames at once) it has become difficult to make or join a group in the time I have. AND NO I will not find another game that better suits my playstyle - I started EQ1 just before Kunark came out - played for 4 1/2 years and have played this one for about 3 1/2 years now - I like the diversity.
    Edit: Put in Kunark instead of Velious
  5. ARCHIVED-Jaxl Guest

Alts is a fantastic idea. It would sure help out the mid-game peeps lfg!
  6. ARCHIVED-Aera Guest

I love the advanced LFG window. I wish there was some sort of incentive for people to use it over the channels. I usually use the LFG window when I am just sort of casually looking for a group while crafting or doing something else, but if I really want a group a.s.a.p. then I usually resort to the channels.
  7. ARCHIVED-MonkeyBobNz Guest

Slightly off topic, but almost relevant. Kinda. What I would like to see is the functionality of the Friends list changed slightly. I would like to see the ability to flag one of your toons as your main. When you add a person to your friends list then the account gets flagged - not the toon. For instance: I have a friend whos main is Kermit. He has alts of Miss'Piggy, Gonzo and Beaker. I add him to my friends list and whenever he logs in under any toon I see the name of the toon and the name of the main - i.e.: Miss'Piggy (Kermit) or Gonzo (Kermit) or Kermit Also, I would love to see the friends list become account wide rather than toon based. Ok... so it wasnt really that relevant... but, whatever...
  8. ARCHIVED-Kordran Guest

Honestly, I think the LFG system as is should just be scrapped. I don't even see the benefit of having the (LFG) tag next to your name as it's displayed to other players. Everyone is so spread out everwhere, it's just useless information. Oh, look, that random person running by me has their LFG flag up ... I have no idea who they are, what their class is or what they want to do, but they're "LFG" for something somewhere. Wonderful to know.
    If it's a system that 99% of the players out there have absolutely zero interest in, I just don't see the merits of keeping it around in any shape or form.
  9. ARCHIVED-Ylis Guest

Mubik@Runnyeye wrote:
    I think that City of Heroes/villains has this setup. You have a global handle which can be added to a friend's list, and that automatically adds your alts or any character you create thereafter.
    I agree that by developing the friend's list slighty we could use it to find groups more easily.
    1. Make it shared across all your characters. Every alt has the same global friend's/ignore list.
    2. Give players an option not to be global too. I have at least 2 alts that I hardly play and only use them for farming low level transmuting stuff or to help a lower level guildy if they need it. I don't want tells to my level 80 Dirge asking for my level 22 Zerker to come and tank SH.
  10. ARCHIVED-Oranor Guest

The role checkboxes make only sense when you are LFM. But I would say, remove them, to make the window simpler. The fact that nobody uses it shows, that the LFG window is too complicated.
    Typing /lfg should just flag you lfg without popping up a window. The window should have i'ts own command. And it should remove anonymous and roleplaying automatically. It makes no sense to search for a group when nobody can see your class and level.
    Most players want to be passive. They want groups, but they don't want to build them. So just give them the ability to flag themselves lfg. This should automatically sent information about all thier characters, thier active quests and thier timers to a database, that players who are more active can query. The main design flaw of the current lfg system is, that it is not friendly to passive players.
  11. ARCHIVED-Bratface Guest

Mubik@Runnyeye wrote:
    Oh no, no way, nuh uh.
    Thhis is apparently already available and I don't like it at all.
    I put a master up for sale and suddenly I am getting tells on every toon on that account about the master, drove me crazy.
    If I want people to know my alts/mains then I will tell them, period.
  12. ARCHIVED-Albert2180 Guest

hmm, seems like most people complain about the LFG system, but I think it's perfect. I don't alt hop just play one toon, and I adventure from 10-80. I wish more people would use the LFG window and the purpose too. Everyday when i Log in it's one of the first windows I open to check who's looking, before my guild window too hehe. Close to all of my groups are pickup, and I use the LFG window to start and find most of the people. It helps if people use the chat channels too, but either or, I'd rather have the LFG window and a purpose.
    ~Gemo
  13. ARCHIVED-Bratface Guest

Oh Rothgar,
    Since you are fiddling with the LFG UI how about adding a way for tradeskillers to find groups for TS missions?
    Of course this would include alts as well =)
    To be able to have any and/or all of your alts available for adv or TS grouping would be the best way.
  14. ARCHIVED-MW2K2 Guest

Ylis wrote:
    Only if they give us the means to control who and how we're seen. Otherwise it could be abused and used to harrass and stalk.
  15. ARCHIVED-Ylis Guest

Bratface wrote:
    Really? The only way I know how to look up alts currently is through eq2 players, and then only if they have the premium service and have checked to enable alt visibility. If there were another way in game I would use it. I alt hop a lot. If you know about this could someone please PM me how to do this.
    I think the important thing to remember is to keep alt visibility completely optional, and I don't think anyone here is asking for forced visibility.
    On another point, about people not wanting responsibilty for making and maintaning groups, how about an option for everyone to be able to invite group members -- for example either by delegating invite powers to more than one person, or by automatically enabling invite powers to everyone in groups constructed via any kind of automatic method, like an auto grouping sytem.
  16. ARCHIVED-Bratface Guest

Ylis wrote:
    I don't have premium service and people tracked me down withing seconds of logging on, it was pure hell. I finally sold it for less just to get rid of it, next time I will just mute it and be done with it.
    I don't know how they all knew but they knew quick, if there is away to keep that information from being known I would LOVE to have it* so I can do whatever it takes to keep my characters private.
    I am all for the LFG tool giving the ability to put alts in there for grouping, I am totally against all of my characters being known just because someone knows one of them, if I want someone to know my alts I will tell them, unfortinately for me it's too late.
    ~~~~~
    *Found out while typing this that you can choose to keep them private at the eq2players site, which is where I am going when done posting this.
  17. ARCHIVED-Ylis Guest

I am not sure what to tell you, but when I try to look at my own alts on EQ2Players (logged in) I only see the following:
    "You must have a subscription to EverQuest II Station Players Advanced Character Profiles to access this page."
    It must be that people with the service can see them.
  18. ARCHIVED-DaFriar Guest

If you have the EQ2 players package you can search people's alts.. If you want to keep your alts private you do not need the subscription, but just goto you administrative rights. For example:
    Click on Characters
    On the Right hand side click on your character you want to modify
    Click on Admin Tab
    Uncheck the Box for Alts - Public
    Then just modify your characters till all of them are no longer set to public for Alts.
    Hope that helps keep your spam down :)
  19. ARCHIVED-GrunEQ Guest

I use LFG some...mostly with no results, but sometimes get a taker. I would love for it to show alts lfg as the role boxes are redundant for the most part and serve no real purpose. Would love to have a feature to check what zones you are looking to do as well as quest check boxes of some sort. Anon and RP should show level and class always. I will not ask a player to join or answer a call to fill group if I cannot tell level and class.
    Would like friends list to be account wide.
  20. ARCHIVED-Rahatmattata Guest

I use it every time I am looking for a group. I rarely advertise that I am /lfg in channels and the /lfg tool determines whether I will try and start my own group or not. If I see the classes I want in /lfg window I will try to put together a group. I rarely pay attention to players spamming the world chats.
    It's much easier to just open the /lfg window and see who is... you know... /lfg, than it is to scroll up through 30mins worth of spam garbage and discussion I could care less about in world chat.
    I would like to have a looking for duel or arena tag (looking for pvp basically).
    I would definately like to see the default "will mentor box" checked set to unchecked.

Also, I've found most people use it in tier8, but at lower levels the solo content is more rewarding than the heroic and epic content so people just don't group and don't use the /lfg tool either.