Level 19, which 2 spells to upgrade to adept 3?

Discussion in 'Warlock' started by ARCHIVED-Arsenal, Nov 24, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Jamesr Guest

Just upgraded Freezing Whorl to adept 3 this morning. Next will be painful Meditation. I don't see the use in upgrading ice spike personally as the spell just sucks. Blaze I already had Adept 1, and with being level 20 and have the 23 nuke adept 1 sitting in bank already, I thought it'd be pointless to upgrade Blaze to adept 3. So far I'm happy with Freezing whorl Adept 3, does 10-15 more damage per tick then apprentice 3.
  2. ARCHIVED-Siltae Guest

Painful Meditation will become my second Adept III tonight. For some reason when deciding on which to upgrade after Blaze, I was thinking it got replaced rather soon in the early 20's. I constantly cannibalize myself for power, so this spell upgrade will do nicely I think. Besides a Warlock sucking his own life for power...just seems to fit...might as well do it at a Adept III level. :smileyvery-happy:
  3. ARCHIVED-Aysen Guest

Where do you find corals at? Do you just buy them and it lets ya make 2 adept 3's?
  4. ARCHIVED-Jamesr Guest

Corals are rare resources gather in antonica and commonlands. So far I've only managed to get 1 from mining in antonica. Although I seem to get 1 rare each resource gathering I go on. So far I've gotten 1 coral, 2 blackened iron, and 1 average pelt. It's kinda of a pain to go out there and gather till you get one, but it's much better then paying 3g+.
  5. ARCHIVED-Siltae Guest

Created Painful Meditation Adept III for myself last night....very nice upgrade from App III! Now have it and Blaze at Adept III...not sure what spell I'd upgrade if I stumble upon another piece of coral/silver....Now that Freezing Whirl has a poison debuff..maybe that would be a good candidate?
  6. ARCHIVED-Attrius Guest

I was thinking of doing the gift of the magi/vivid seal adept IIIs...guessing that the power pool/replenishment upgrades would do well for groups. Also thinking of doing incinerate to get the big debuff in. I'm not gonna do blaze because I have 2 better nukes at 24...dark distortion and suffocating breath.

Costs for silver are about 1g to...4 or 5g (wth are these people thinking?). Need to find some copper so I can upgrade static pulse and watch that life tick away :)
  7. ARCHIVED-Jamesr Guest

I've noticed gift the magi is useless after getting boon of the void at 21. Boon of the Magi doesn't add any power/resists when you have Boon of the Void, except take a concentration point.
  8. ARCHIVED-Siltae Guest

Good catch!. Didn't notice this myself until I read you post and tested it. Looks like I can take Gift of the Magi off the hotbar. Thanks!
  9. ARCHIVED-Tiberius Guest

Dont bother at 23 we geta nice nuke and blaze goes green rather worthless if you ask me on some adept 3 spells.
  10. ARCHIVED-Mastire Guest

I got my blaze 3 Adept 3 at level 14 it was well worth the 2GP to have it for 9 levels. Havn't found any silver or coral, or seen any for sale for under 6gp. I think freezing whorl will be my next adept 3 then Painfull meditation.
  11. ARCHIVED-Nirvy Guest

Message Edited by Nirvy on 12-07-2004 06:35 AM
  12. ARCHIVED-Hexi Guest

Finally, at level 22.8, a friend has decided to give me a coral so I can get my first adept 3.

A number of you have had a few upgraded to adept 3 for levels and levels now... I need some help between:

Shadows: Seems to be an upgrade in the later 30s for this. As a crafter, I'm often trying to run between aggro mobs to get to harvesting spots. As odd as it seems, this might be a good one for me. I am at Adept 1 level, though. Is it going to be a significant difference?

Freezing Whirl: My #1 debuff, and the "upgrade" appears to have a much longer cast time. How much did the dot increase? Are you happy or do you feel you could have upgraded a better one? I am at App3 level for this one.

Painful Med: I use this thing religiously. If the "upgrade" is on a seperate timer and I could use both... What did the hp to power conversion become at Adept 3 level? I believe this one is an Adept 1 currently.

As a side question, has anyone ever found an Adept-level for Negative Absolution? I can't even find an App3 currently.

Thanks all.
  13. ARCHIVED-Raminicus Guest

I can't respond to your other questions, but I'll throw in my experience on the last one. I've been hunting and hunting for an Adept Negative Absolution, both in the wild and on the broker, and also in /auction. I haven't been able to find anything. Also, I'm looking pretty hard for an adept Dark Distortion, which I'll qualify for in another jaunt to the Steppes.
  14. ARCHIVED-Splatterpunk28 Guest

I don't know, for the mid 20s I would say the most useful adept 3's would be Dark Distortion (biggest nuke) and Curse of Darkness (best debuff/dot).

I very, very rarely use Painful Meditation. If my power gets below the healers by much at all, I'm tanking from casting too much. Med breaks are usually based on healer power bar, so if I stay in sync with healers...I don't use the spell (waste of another heal.)
  15. ARCHIVED-Jacmac Guest

If I was going to upgrade two, it would be Freezing Whorl and Painful Meditiation or Frozen Manacles. I'd lean toward Frozen Manacles, especially if you solo alot. Freezing Whorl is most important for the debuffing ability, it will help Dark Distortion land and do more damage.

My comments, by the way, assume level 10-19 are to be upgraded. Some people are talking about level 20-29 spells as if you intended to upgrade those. In regards to splatterpunks comments about Painful Peditation above, let me say that I very, very, very commonly use Painful Meditation. If your power is so high that you don't need to use it, you just aren't trying damage the mob enough. My power is usually down, unless we are fighting blue and green group mobs. Those die so fast that I don't hardly have to cast at all.

Message Edited by Jacmac on 12-13-2004 01:55 PM
  16. ARCHIVED-Arsenal Guest

Sure, you can conserve your power, but that is kind of a waste - especially in a group. I typically just flat out nuke non-stop with my best stuff until the monster is dead. A couple painful meditations thrown in there let me catch my power back up to the healer (who cares about my health). Since we kill the monster faster, the healer uses less power healing the tank and overall we take fewer med breaks which is always good.
    Of course there are some situations where you want to conserve power, but for general xping in a controlled situation, you are almost always better off killing things as fast as possible.
  17. ARCHIVED-Nothin2d00 Guest

I'm constantly Painful Med (have adept 3) during battle all the time, with good food I just regen my HP. I regen most of my HP before the next pull. I use both Painful Med and invite Void. I think Painful Med is the best pre-20 adept 3 spell you probably should get, mainly because it lasts way past lvl 30 and you'll be using it a lot. Blaze adept 3 is probably useful up until 23-24 where you get Dark Distortion and Suffocating Breath.
  18. ARCHIVED-Hexi Guest

Thanks for the input everyone. I went ahead and upgraded Freezing Whorl, but I haven't tested it out yet. My reasoning was the the dot w/debuff would increase the damage of a few members in my party, thus having a greater beneft. Another aspect that contributed to my decision was that when I use Pain Med, a few things happen. Tanks tend to think I'm getting hit; Healers think I might be getting hit and waste power on me; and groups think I can't control my aggro properly. I make a point to try and educate my groups when I join, some get it, some don't.

It was a really tough decision between Freezing Whorl and Painful Med. I'm hoping that I'll be able to find another rare for Pain Med before too long.
  19. ARCHIVED-Biswen Guest

Quick info. I just ding'd 23 and got Dark Distortion. Lucky for me I got this spall as adept 1 in my inventory (got it from veteran in TS). As adept 1 my new main nuke does 250-350 dmg. Pretty nice I think.
  20. ARCHIVED-Max122 Guest

I have updated Painful Meditation and Summon Shadows so far to Adept 3. For me they seem the only 2 spells i use anymore past lvl25ish. Summon Shadows Adept 3 is great can get to groups in areas i couldnt have before, all in all just alot safer to run around.