Legends of Norrath - Loot Packs

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Mizgamer62, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

I love how they set these up so that its a gamble just like with the mercenary crates. I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this point.
    Belenos, Jaden, Ishuna and 3 others like this.
  2. Billyrayy Active Member

$$$
    Belenos, Ishuna and Feldon like this.
  3. Arandar Well-Known Member

LoN loot cards were always random. You expected anything different?
    Livejazz likes this.
  4. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

When they first announced it, I understood it to mean that individual loot items would be for sale. I was wrong apparently lol :p.
    Febrith, Belenos, NrthnStar5 and 5 others like this.
  5. Mermut Well-Known Member

I understood it as specific items as well. Money saved for me, I guess. Gambling does NOT do it for me.
    Belenos, Ishuna, Feldon and 5 others like this.
  6. Aivet Well-Known Member

What I'd like to know is if the items within a loot pack all have an equal chance, or whether they're weighted in some way. If they're all equal, then I might buy some if there's a few items I'm after in a single pack. If not, then there's no way I'll buy any. I'm happy to gamble, but only if: a) I know the odds; b) I consider the odds worth the money; and c) I have the money to spare. Not necessarily in that order though.
  7. Arandar Well-Known Member

I'm sure they are weighted, just like certain loot cards were much rarer than others.
    Livejazz likes this.
  8. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

I bought a few of these today to see how they work - there are several layers of "unpacking" to be done. The next to the last layer shows you what the item is, but it does not become heirloom until you do the final unpack. My running mate was able to mail one of the loot items to one of my toons, and I was able to mail a loot item to one of his... I WISH the merc crates worked like this!
  9. Arandar Well-Known Member

You also know what you've got in its "pre-unpacked" state, and if it's something that you're not interested in you can put it on the broker. That ratonga illusion form that you got may not work for you, but someone else might really want it.
    Belenos and Livejazz like this.
  10. Lucus Well-Known Member

why offer something for sale when you can sell 'tries' to milk more or equal money the item is worth without giving out the specific item? so you know they will be tempted to just keep handing you money on an RNG roll that isn't looked at by regulators?

I never bought cards from LoN for loot cards it's too wasteful hoping you'll get something good, so i have just been opening the free packs i get.

Gambling real money for game items is lame and money hungry, yes DBG is a business and business makes money i get that but i despise gambling, sure there's guarantee of something loot card but still it's little better then the old LoN system.

Majorly disappointed. I expected something more like the old tournament packs you could buy from the marketplace, you spent $$$ on an actual item purchase from the market not a new lotto barely different then the old one.
    Belenos likes this.
  11. Tetrol Well-Known Member

People who don't mind the RNG/gambling aspect of this probably don't understand how much it irritates those of us who do. If I could select a particular item, I would buy stuff - buy to get a raffle - no chance at all.
    Belenos, Mizgamer62, Ishuna and 4 others like this.
  12. Cecie New Member

No thanks. Unless I can actually choose which items I'm buying, I don't want to waste my time/money. I already have so many LoN paintings that I could build a house with them.
    Belenos, Mizgamer62, Ishuna and 3 others like this.
  13. Arandar Well-Known Member

Actually, you can choose what you want to buy. You just buy it for plat, from another player who got the item and either doesn't want it themselves, or prefers the coin. So in the end, Daybreak set things up so that it is possible for you to get exactly the LoN item that you want, and not even have to spend any credits to get it. You'll just need to wait a while for items to start appearing on the broker.
  14. Lucus Well-Known Member

it relies still on gambling, you having the plat to buy it and someone else both buying into this and willnig to sell to you. it's a workaround at most and is supporting the very thing we don't like.

it doesn't matter that we could pay plat for it, the person getting the plat has paid money into the system and encourged this practice of using gambling to maximize profits rather then balancing player enjoyment.

people hate P2P games and avoid them like the plague specificly because they are set up from the get go to milk the most amount of money possible and erect as many pay barriers, hooks and 'buy this ticket for a chance to get an item we aren't obliged to give you, oh and piss away tons of money for our non-sale' as possible.
    Jaden likes this.
  15. Arandar Well-Known Member

Then I guess you don't buy it. My point is that in practical terms, there's a good chance that you'll be able to actually buy what you want. If you're going to start basing your decisions over what other people choose to do with their DBC, that's your choice, naturally. I just find this kind of philosophical whingeing over virtual items in a game to be kind of odd, but whatever works for you.
    Livejazz likes this.
  16. Lucus Well-Known Member

It's about gambling itself and their obsession with adding more of it rather then you know doing an actual merchant transaction where you give money and receive an item you want for a price that is reasonable rather then a chance which is designed to suck people into 'trying one more time' while the company can get far more then what they could reasonably sell it for.

it's also 'voting with your feet', if people can sell the loot ingame, by buying it you are supporting and reinforcing their obsession with gambling and encouraging it, it doesn't matter if you paid with cash or plat, DBG sees the cash on their profits and is encouraged.

if they make no money or little on this system at all don't you think they might reconsider and offer them as an actual transaction and not a lotto where they control the odds completely with no oversight?
    Belenos likes this.
  17. Tetrol Well-Known Member

It's the fact that it is becoming (or has become) the core of the game - whether it be merc crates, key quests and now LON loot packs. Someone could answer that repeating zones over and over to get particular loot is as well I suppose - but I don't do that either.
    Belenos likes this.
  18. Lucus Well-Known Member

running zones over and over isn't the same as paying for a chance at something (or being annoyed that 'buying off the marketplace isn't really buying, it's just get a random loot card in a lotto'), RNG for dropped loot is a way for the devs to engage us for a minimum amount of time and a variable max time so we don't burn through content too fast.

mechanics, quests, adv solos, heroics, raids are all time sinks to keep us playing and to stop us breezing through content too fast.

lotto rather then buy directly is a way for them to burn through people's wallets without really having to give the player what they really want.
    Belenos and Mermut like this.
  19. Arandar Well-Known Member

And other people can find it to be fun (the random element) to see what they get, with the added benefit that if it's something they personally don't want, there's a chance someone else does. I know of folks who spent a lot of money on LoN decks to get random loot cards, and you weren't guaranteed you'd even get any. Anyway, to each their own.
  20. Froglok Member

Please give us the chance to buy the items directly, even if its at like, a 25% markup. This is ridiculous and anti-consumer.
    Belenos, Mizgamer62, Ishuna and 3 others like this.