Legends of Norrath Closure Notification

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Mizgamer62, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Ingerimm Well-Known Member

Hello Daybreak,

and what is with our money, what we have invested over the years in our playing cards? Simply everything away?

Not a good business policy Daybreak. Hundreds, if not thousands of $ and € just gone.

- 10090 game cards gone :(
    Meneltel likes this.
  2. Palomidus New Member

Ingerimm, that is part of the reason LoN didn't take off very well. There are small groups that play, but nothing serious. Nobody owns a single thing. Not a single thing from the cash shop do you own.

Sadly, there is a lot of nostalgia bloat in all these games Daybreak got from SoE. Yeah, I'm pissed about EQ Next, and now it seems like they are just cutting more and more; however, if you only have a handful of people participating in something is it worth the effort to keep it up? What condition was EQ Next really in when it was cancelled? Not sure, but I think Daybreak is shooting themselves in the foot. I can't speak for everyone, but I can say that my little group of around 40 people have all cancelled their subscriptions and uninstalled the games. Certainly we are not the only ones.
  3. suka Well-Known Member

I don't think too many are quitting- especially not over this. we will miss the packs, but when you own a company, you have to be focused on making the best decisions about what you can and can not afford to continue work on. a lot goes into that decision.

one of the biggest problems most small businesses have, and i am sure it sometimes applies to corporations as well, is they get so emotionally as well as financially invested in a project that they can't see when it is time to let go.

this is not the only project in the company - it is one of many. a lot of companies have gone bankrupt because of that emotional attachment to something a few customers really use and that is draining their money. That is why in corporations and large companies, the owner or the project manager is usually not the one to make the decisions of when to let go. they are too emotionally involved and may not see the big picture.

we as customers are also too involved in our own emotional and financial investment. at any time when i went in to play the game, i may have seen 7 or 8 people on the game. this was when it was a more popular game than it has been lately. lately i have often been the only person in.

the game was difficult for most to master. there were a lot of rules you had to remember. and even with some skill, there was a lot of rng involved. i remember times when i thought i had it figured out, but then lost completely on several rounds. i kept a copy of instructions on a notepad to make sure i didn't miss anything i needed to know to be able to play. and still lost - a lot.

so i ended up just using it for the loot. as most people did. that is not enough reason to keep the game alive. as for the houses, etc, if you bought the entire deck, you were assured of getting all of the loot cards. it cost about $100 but was cheaper in the long run than buying a few cards here and there hoping to get it. still not enough people bothered to buy anything- we often couldn't afford to. so we accepted our free monthly cards with no other expenditure. the few people who did buy were not enough to keep it profitable.

all in all, it is a business decision that only an objective person with all of the facts before them can make. as such i respect the decision, whether i like it or not is another matter and has no bearing on the situation.
    Prissetta likes this.
  4. Moonpanther Well-Known Member

I think a great idea will be to have them on the veterans awards vendor for all of us who have played it for so long. That way we would have something new and fun to spend our vet points on.

While I understand the company needs to make money, punishing subscribers and taking away subscriber perks simply doesn't sit well with the clients. The list of perks is shrinking for paying members, while the f2p is quite generous. Folks will look at that and guess what...many will go f2p unless there is a great reason to pay. So I'm not sure what they plan to do about that. It will upset paying members watch their value shrinking. If it had not been a perk in the first place it wouldn't have mattered so much. To put these packs on the marketplace and ask folks to pay for something that used to be a perk simply will not sit well with most.
  5. Merriel Well-Known Member

This, I think is an excellent idea...but the cost is too high. I averaged about one loot card every other month, with only one six month stint where I got nothing. That six month stint was a rarity though, in the number of years I've played this game. With a total of five chances per month to get loot, which included a chance at a house, a mount, or other desirable house deco or fluff items, and some months I'd get two or three rewards, and others only one or none...I think at MOST this should cost no more than 80 loyalty tokens to purchase.

To be honest though, I think it would only add more to the value of our subscription if they would simply give us one RNG loot card like those that they have put on the marketplace (but allow us to choose the scenario for the loot that came from that scenario, as we could in LoN) to supplement the loss of the LoN loot packs they have taken away from us, and this would satisfy the removal of one of our perks for subscribing. It's not going to cost the company any more than it did, giving us the card packs, and in fact, would only give us one chance at loot as opposed to five but with a guaranteed chance at loot. At least this would make up for the loss of the perk of receiving five packs per month.

I really don't think it's fair to even ask us to spend our loyalty points for these RNG packs, and would not feel that makes up for the loss to our subscription value.
  6. Tekka Well-Known Member

As a player who has been on both sides of the subscriber fence (though the majority on the paid side) and played other titles that offer subscriber perks, as well as a free to play model and cash shop - I can tell you that the EQ2 f2p is not at all generous when compared to other games in my experience.

Unless you're a grandfathered silver account you have no broker access, no mail access and limited channel access. On top of the gear and spell/ca restrictions. And as of the last GU, all game content is no longer available to all players, since it can't be purchased as a DLC, it's sub-only content.

I agree with you 100% - while they're not required to provide anything additional with your subscription, removing an existing perk without offering an equivalent will just make players feel cheated. Moreso when they then see those items being offered for cash on the marketplace (loot card lotto). I have see a few folks on forums, and in game, say that the LoN closure wasn't the only reason for cancelling, but it was the last one.

I think the art on the cards themselves would make good game additions through various means, including the cash shop though.
  7. Cassta Well-Known Member

There are approximately 11 days left before Legends of Norrath is no more. :( Some of us have avatars desperately trying to win all the scenarios to get loot cards. It would be REALLY NICE if our fabulous Devs would allow play of all the special/holiday scenarios during these final days so those of us who missed some of them could have a final chance to beat the scenario and earn the loot card. I am not above begging on my knees......PLEEEEAAASSSEEE!!! There are only a few of us left that still play and even fewer that have been around since the beginning of LoN. Also, thank you VERY MUCH for giving us the free booster packs on 8-01-16. I was under the impression July would be the last month for them and was very happy to log on to grind through the scenarios and find them. Thank you.
  8. MalcolmXBox Active Member

My thoughts in their simplest form:
    The company DBG, has little (if any) regard for it's players/customers beyond getting their money as easily as possible.

Anther way I see it:
    DOE tried to have beautiful geese laying golden eggs; while DBG just wants golden eggs laid by geese.
    Tekka and Castegyre like this.
  9. OMGthisistoohard Member

10. Castegyre Well-Known Member

I would go so far to say that it's not even DB. DB is not SOE with a new face. If anything I think DB is effectively CN with a mask on. CN wants those eggs and is using the players and DB to get them by any means.
    Tekka and MalcolmXBox like this.
  11. That guy. Well-Known Member

Dungeon Maker neutered into useless slop, LoN being removed. Thought the point of a live game was to ADD content, not take it away.
    Loncards, Avahlynn and Meneltel like this.
  12. MalcolmXBox Active Member

Just to make sure it was clearly a typo, I meant SOE, not DOE.
    Castegyre likes this.