Layout Editor Problem. Please Help!

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Ealdian, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Ealdian Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have been giving my guildies Layout Editor lessons using Jesdyr's LE. We are having a problem with the LE stealing items from the environment even though there are plenty of items in the packing crate. I have been using the LE for a few years and am well versed in it. I have made sure that Aney has her settings correct including checking the "Auto replace UID's" box. Her command paths are all correct, she can move items in the environment using the MultiEdit Controls, rescale, edit the position of items in the spreadsheet itself, but when it comes to duplicating items, the LE will steal items from the floor before it will take them from the packing crate.

We even went to the trouble of deleting her current LE and re downloading it with a new set of pathway commands.

I am using my LE in the same house and there are no problems.

Anyone who can figure this out with us would be our HERO!!

Thanks in advance,
    Ealdian,
    but you can call me Eli
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Gretel like this.
  2. Merriel Well-Known Member

Ealdian, this has been an issue that I've been experiencing myself in the last several months. What is happening, is that even though you have the replace UID's from moving crate box checked, it's not using those items. It's creating negative UID's, and if you try to replace the negative UID's with the UID's from actual items you have listed in the editor, it won't let you.

The only work around I have found, is to create groups of the actual items listed, so that you can keep track of what you're working with. Highlight the row of the first negative UID item, copy location, paste to the first item in your group of actual items, rinse and repeat with each of the others until the locations of the negative UID numbers are assigned to an actual item in your group. Once you've copied these locations, highlight all the rows of negative UID's and delete them from your layout, then save your layout and load it in game. You should now see these items used in the house instead of pulling from other builds in the house. It's more tedious, but it does work. I can't say why it's happening, I just know that it is, and is quite annoying.

When I asked JesDyr about it a while back, he said to work with the entire layout open, not with New from Diff, but I find it happening either way. I prefer New from Diff because it allows me to work with items in the house at the same time someone else is working in the layout editor. It's how Vas, Cey, and I are able to all three use the layout editor in the same house at the same time, and it is such a fantastic tool. We just communicate with each other and when we need to take new saves, we all stop work and do our saves, then go on once all the saves have been made.

I find this particular problem happens most often, when using the circle/spiral tool or when trying to Modify Group. It doesn't seem to happen so much when it comes to just duplicating items.
  3. Ealdian Well-Known Member

Thanks Merriel,

I'm not sure what you are saying. I use the With, Without, and Working macros as described by Jazabelle. Would you mind spelling out EXACTLY what to hit? I'll have to understand it so that I can explain it to my guildies.

We are trying to skin a wall, and tile a floor by duplicating (rather than using the "Build Row" feature). I am able to use the duplicate feature with ease...I wonder why she can't?

Since I can't see what she sees in her LE I can't tell if they are negative values, or different UID's or anything.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  4. Merriel Well-Known Member

When I get into the game later, I'll hop into a house and open up the editor and try to screenshot what it is I'm talking about. I think it will be easier to explain if I can show you exactly what I mean.

I don't use macros though I did make them at one point and they still exist in my macro list but that's neither here nor there as it has no effect on what's going on with the editor.

I stopped using the moving crate, as I've had issues with using items from it despite the checkbox, so I just put the items down into my house directly and never pull anything from the moving crate anymore when using the editor. Makes taking a New from Diff a little more complicated, but I prefer it to having the editor ignore stuff in the moving crate. I do use the Notes section of the editor quite heavily, though, to help me keep track of items.
  5. Merriel Well-Known Member

Hmm, it's been a while since I've used the editor but I have never had an issue with the Duplicate feature creating negative UID's before, but when I duplicated a tile in my house a few min ago, it gave it a negative UID even though there are additional tiles in the moving crate. I've also never noticed this particular tool under the Tool tab before, that brought up a pop up box asking me for a file location so it can replace the fake id's with real ones. Are we now directing the layout editor to the house we are working in, when the items are in the moving crate for that particular house? I've never had to do that before.

[IMG]

This is the box I've always had a check mark in, and under, hmmm is it Circle Tool or the Manipulate Items tool where it also has a checkbox to replace fake uid's with real ones?

[IMG]
  6. Oldpoint Well-Known Member

I experience this problem when I was decorating my first 2 houses. And I think the root cause is as follow

1. When you pick up an item and drop it in the house again that item UID will be changed.
    2. For example, you have several same items and the ID is 01, 02, 03, 04 and their location is A, B, C, D correspondingly.
    3. For some reason, you pick up item 04 from D then drop it again somewhere or into moving crate (so, The new ID may be 05). And then you loading the CURRENT layout file.
    4. The data in the layout file will try to find 04 and want to place it in D but 04 is not inside the house anymore.
    5. A bug appears since the layout file data and what exactly the items inside the house are not matched. The system will just get 01, 02 or 03 to place in location D. (it will not draw items from the moving crate even the desire item is in-short outside...I don't know why)

Even i know this, i still making this mistake sometime. When it happens i will just saving the layout by using the in-game command providing that the data in the file and the actual decor item are matched. Then correct/place the decor as normal again.

For me, Layout Editor does not have any problem so far

Hope it helps
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Hmm, that does make sense, but why wouldn't it draw from the Moving Crate as an option? Silly thing... :(

Uwk
  8. JesDyr Well-Known Member

Based entirely on observation from years ago :
    As far as I can tell, all placed items are in a Database table server side. This table is only placed items so when You pick something up, it is removed from the table, if you set it back down a new record is created in the table giving it a new Primary Key (unique identifier for the record). The Primary Key is what the UID is. When you load a layout, the server script will first look for an exact match of the UID, if non is found, it will use the first item it finds that matches the ItemID and does not have a UID that is also in the layout. It does not sort, it is whatever record is first on the list (which is somewhat random, but often will be the lowest UID).

Current version of my editor is designed to always have a complete and recently saved layout loaded. "New from diff" is not recommended, you should use "Diff" which will return the same results, but in a group. I had removed the old functions, like new from diff, I wrote before UIDs were added to layouts but added them back in at the requests of some players.
  9. kianne Well-Known Member

eeek i always use new from diff.... only way i know how to use it ..save, pack in mc, save new, do the bis on new from diff on LE then load.... :( ooh i hope it will still be ok when was last updated Le brought out b4 of after 4mths ago?
  10. JesDyr Well-Known Member

It was years ago when that change was made (1.6 versions where the old way, 1.7 was when I moved to using groups). You can still do things the old way, but you can run into the problems like the above.
  11. kianne Well-Known Member

well phew ....:D its been good to me the LE is still working fine cheers jes :D
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

So, in other words, using just plain "Diff" should be no different (heh! ;->) in procedure than using "New From Diff" was ("save, pack in mc, save new, do the bis on new from diff on LE then load")?

Uwk
    kianne likes this.
  13. Merriel Well-Known Member

Sorry, I am so completely lost. I don't understand anything anyone said after my post above. I wish I had more time to play with the editor, but school has me so busy I just don't have the time right now. I did, however, completely rip out the editor and re-downloaded it again this morning before leaving for school. Maybe this weekend I'll have time to play with it and see if it's working any better. I still don't understand why it's doing what it did above, cause I've never ever had that happen before.
  14. Ealdian Well-Known Member

This is the problem, Jes,

We are standing right next to each other, I am giving her EXACTLY the steps I use to duplicate a tile, then move the original down. When she does it, it steals from the environment. When I do it, it takes from the crate.

I don't understand how we can both be doing the same thing and getting different results.

We have re-downloaded her LE. We have set it up with the proper command paths, and I am bumfuzzled.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Merriel like this.
  15. Ealdian Well-Known Member

To add to this last post,
    She can manipulate items using the LE. When she uses the "build row" feature that works. But she is trying to skin a wall. Unless there is a way to use the "build row" feature to do that, duplicating is the only way *I* know to do it.
  16. JesDyr Well-Known Member

That is a relic that I put back in due to "New from diff". It will replace the UIDs with ones from the crate in the selected layout. It is not needed if you use "Diff" and Autoreplace UIDs.

Looking at your screenshot, there is nothing in the crate tab so either you have nothing in the crate, or it is not a full layout (you used New from Diff)

Try having her delete everything in %localappdata%\PrettyHouses (%localappdata% should expand to something like "C:\Users\JesDer\AppData\Local") and the checking settings again.
  17. Merriel Well-Known Member

Ahh I see. Yeah, I used New from Diff, and the items were in the moving crate but because of New from Diff, it didn't indicate that. I tested it to see if it would replace the negative UID's though, by directing it to the With file, but it didn't replace the UID's, so I'm not sure I know how to use it. Maybe I should have directed it to the Without file instead, since that would be the file where I placed the items in the crate? Not sure why I directed it to the With file, but I was tired and still fighting a bad cold so wasn't feeling well either. Stands to reason I'd make stupid mistakes, hehe.
  18. Ealdian Well-Known Member

Thanks for your response Jes, good to know you're still around to help.

I think this IS the problem. She had used the "Find" feature to populate those New From Diff fields. We'll try deleting them today. I might need a touch more help....