Launcher Problems

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Maizing, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Maizing Member

I'm having issues with the launcher. When I try to start the game, the launcher is just a black rectangle. It was working fine earlier this week, but now I can't do anything with it. The only change to my system is that I updated AVG Internet Security (i.e. my anti-virus program). This has not caused any problems with any of my other games, however, so I don't know if that is what is messing up EQ2. The initial issue I was having was that the launcher would start up, then auto-close, so I tried reinstalling the game. That resulted in what I am experiencing now. I actually deleted the game from my computer and tried doing a clean install, but the results are the same. I cannot even start the game in this state. All I can do, is to click on the task bar to close it.
  2. Cragfire Well-Known Member

I have the feeling AVG is blocking a port the game need open to run.. Make sure the game is cleared thru the security program.. There should be a 'white' list or something similar.
  3. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

As you will note in several other forum threads, there is currently a backend bug that is affecting a slew of things, from logging in to the broker and others, which may be further impacting the problem. Meanwhile, some things to try:

(1) AVG's firewall is a known problem. To disable it while you're playing:
    • Open AVG Control Center by right-clicking on the icon in the system tray. (Lower right-hand corner of the screen)
    • If you are using AVG 8, click on Tools, then Advanced, then Resident Shield. If you have a later version, simply click on Residency Shield.
    • Deselect the option to "Enable Resident Shield."
    • To re-enable, select "Enable Resident Shield" again.
    A better solution is to whitelist the Launchpad and game executables, including awesomium_process.exe. Instructions are available from AVG.

(2) Routers can also block ports that EQ2 needs for both updating and running the game. Try shutting the router off, wait a full 30 seconds, then turn it back on.

(3) Still having problems? Some other things to try:
    • Right-click on the LaunchPad icon and select Run as Administrator to load it with full access. Does this help?
    • Navigate to the directory of the game you are trying to play and open the launchpad.libs folder. Delete the launchpad.cache folder and relaunch the LaunchPad again. Does this help?
    • Have you recently installed a browser toolbar such as Google Toolbar or Yahoo! Toolbar? They can cause connection problems while using LaunchPad. If so, uninstall them, reboot the machine, and then re-launch the game. Any improvement yet?
  4. Zorennon Member

I am having the exact same issue as Maizing . If any one has a solution sure would like to know what it is