Lag spikes

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Teld, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Teld Member

I get really bad lag spikes while playing at home on my wifi. I don't have the option to run a LAN line at the moment.

Comcast wifi router. 100mbps internet subscription

My laptop
    Intel I7 - Quad core 2.8ghz.
    12g ram
    Radeon RX 580 card

I typically run around with under 150 ping and around 100FPS.(I don't play with shadows, flora, or water effects on)

I figure it has to be a setting on the comcast router, but I am not familiar with any of the wifi settings. Anything in particular i should be making sure is checked or unchecked?
  2. Beee Well-Known Member

EQ2 packeloss? (F11, the red value) to which server?
    WLAN in an apartment has the behavior to be very weak on some Locations, check the Speed eg with speedtest.net
  3. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

To play through router, you don't need to configure anything. You just turn it on. If you are forced to configure something, or to understand how it's configured, it means, some link is chosen incorrectly. Yesterday I checked my wi-fi (having received Wi-fi receiver for desktop on post) on desktop and didn't notice difference with the connection via LAN. Try kicking your provider by telling him that Internet is not working properly. But before, reboot everything again and check again. It is also perhaps that some files will have to be thrown from client and server will have to download them again. At same time, write about your problem in support (from our beloved DBG) at address/link that is repeatedly indicated on this forum. If DBG has nothing to do with it, then it’s okay - perhaps they’re used to receiving messages about bad connection or lags. They will always find where to send you :) Well, or they will tell you what to do. Oh yes, it happens of course that wifi receiver itself starts to work poorly. In this case, you will have to get a new one, not built-in. But with them be happen problem is that new ones too work poorly. But take your time. The fact is that lags, as you know, come here from time to time. And likely It's that after some time, everything, as it were, will work normally again.
    If you have Windows, then it's possible that a bad driver for your Wi-Fi in a laptop. Try to roll it back and reinstall. You need either one that Windows 7 or higher installs or from a laptop disk (from the website of the manufacturer of your laptop). It maybe one way or another
  4. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

With more schools and business closed, more people are working from home and playing games from home at all hours. Downrightnow and other monitoring groups are seeing some big slowdowns in certain places. See https://www.internetsociety.org/blo...et-resilient-enough-to-withstand-coronavirus/

Have you tried the simple stuff?
    (1) Start the Launchpad. When you get to Character Select, try hitting the up arrow a bunch of times, repeat with the down arrow. This sometimes forces it to redisplay. Did that help?

(2) Shut down the game, shut down your computer, reset your modem and router. Then turn it all back on. Start the Launchpad, and click the Advanced Tools button (crossed hammer and wrench icon). Ask it to validate files. Did that help?

(3) Close the game, then try opening your EQ2 folder and deleting your logincache-us and/or logincache-eu folders. Start the Launchpad again but don't select a character in the Launchpad, let it go to the Character Select screen. Did that help?

So, as for the lag. The next step, if the things above don't help, would be to get more information:

(1) Go to http://speedtest.net/ -- Click Begin Test, then click Share This Result, then copy the URL it gives you into your reply here. This tells us something about your ISP, type of connection, and UL/DL speeds.

(2) From the START button, in the little window type CMD and hit enter to open a command window. Otherwise, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories, right-click the Command Prompt and select "Run as administrator" (For Windows 8 - Press the WINDOWS and X keys together and then click on Command Prompt (Admin). Click Yes to the User Account Control message that appears.)

(3) In the CMD window, you should have a folder address (mine says C:\Users\Administrator>) with a flashing cursor after it. Type in each of three three commands below, one at a time, and let each run. You know it's done when you get the folder address and cursor back.
    • ipconfig /all > c:\netinfo.txt
    • tracert lpj.daybreakgames.com >> c:\netinfo.txt
    • pathping lpj.daybreakgames.com >> c:\netinfo.txt
    (4) Now, go to C:\netinfo.txt, and open that file with Notepad. Copy and paste all that info here. These three commands help us see if you have internet roadblocks, and exactly where they occur.

You need not share these results here if you don't want to. You may be able to see from the results what the problem is, and if so you may be able to take steps to address it yourself.Otherwise, you can paste that info here and we can try to see what the issue may be.
    Breanna likes this.
  5. Teld Member

Thanks for all the tips. Going to try them one by one and see what works.

I did a speed test and got 71 up and 15 down.

I bring my laptop back and forth for work so resetting isnt a issue.

Reset the router

validated all the files on the EQ launcher.

Going to play for a bit and see if it is any better.

To Beees question, I occasionally see packet loss with really bad spikes. The best description is the yellow bars when I hit F11. They will sometimes drop to zero and then spike to 30 or 40k. When I see that happening the lag is the worst.
  6. Seth Well-Known Member

BUY a better PC or send DBG some cash and they will sort those lag spikes out for you.
  7. Teld Member

I tried what was listed and reached out to daybreak as I was still having issues. Definitely my router and I am pretty sure my kids playing roblox isnt helping.