Lag fixes?

Discussion in 'Zones and Populations' started by hellzelves, Feb 22, 2013.

1. hellzelves Member

Ok how is it POSSIBLY client side when a raid full of people is using the the particle priority command on the absolute lowest graphic settings and EVERYONE is having the problem some of us with brand new pretty awesome computers. Even if it OCCURS client side the problem is not with out computers. It is with the way data is coming through. Client side implies there is nothing SOE can do. If people with decent, newer computers cant efficiently raid on lowest possible settimgs because of these client side issues then the game is unplayable. I understand some people (^that guy) need to show off their TECHNICAL knowledge. grats, you do something for a living or funsies that I don't. Whether we are using the right word or not it is good people are describing the problem because when entire raid forces are frustrated with it, it isn't the players problem
  2. Taysa Well-Known Member

No, see not everyone who isn't a technological genius is a complete idiot as you seem to believe. There IS such thing as common sense. My settings were on extreme PERFORMANCE with particle effects completely OFF.

Stop implying everyone is an idiot and recognize the fact that there has been a severe decline in coding for performance since DoV.
  3. Neiloch Well-Known Member

If its true lag then IT IS a problem with SoE and graphical settings will have nothing to do with it. If it's a frame rate issue its clientside, be it your computer or the games engine/coding, in which case it has little to nothing to do with the data they are sending. Particle priority command would do NOTHING to remedy lag. It might help with frame rate issues, but not lag.

Lag/Delay in actions - server side
    Frame rate drop - client side

I have just decent rig, no where near top of the line, and raid at the the very tip top of raiding and my clientside performance is fine. The only problems I get are lag related which means either the connection or the servers.
  4. Taysa Well-Known Member

You'll also notice the word "lag" didn't touch my post.
  5. Neiloch Well-Known Member

Well you should probably report it then. They will probably want your technical specifications as well as time it occured. Especially since I asked my guildees who did run it last night and they had zero problems, so its not a universal constant that everyone has the problem making the problem harder to nail down.
    I never said what you were experiencing was lag.
    Using the right terms is a BIG DEAL when talking about these problems. For one if they see people talking about 'lag' when they mean frame rate problems and they are already aware of lag problems, nothing new gets across and they aren't made aware of the problem properly. It also just slows down the whole process of getting fixes done.

You can actually avoid these mix ups if you avoid some terminology completely. If you said 'my framerate drops' or 'my game locks up for a few seconds' or 'when I hit an ability the game doesn't respond timely but my frame rate is fine' the possibility for confusion is down and the problem getting properly recognized, reported and fixed go up.
  6. Kraeref Well-Known Member

Why to argue at all with each other then? Soe just has to admit the poor coding that is in place causes both lag AND fps drop in raid zone of latest expansions. I didn't have any issues with neither lag nor fps until coe expac. My desktop only 2 years old. It can perform flight similations with real weather and all sorts of environmental perks and extreme quality landscapes and nothing wrong with a client. But in eq2 old game fps drops very badly. I still can play and comp and drivers handle everything just fine b/c i never went ld unlike some of my guildies. But it's just ridiculous to blame people's clients.

If we say it's a client performance then soe won't do anything to fix their coding.

Btw in one of performance threads soe admitted that something is wrong with hardware they use in b/w ca and nevada (?) that causes big memory leak. Hopefully they are working on it. This problem actually had to do with a drop on fps.
  7. Taysa Well-Known Member

If someone who didn't go to school for IT, has zero technological background in the work force, and is just the run-of-the-mill computer user can figure out and dissect these peoples' problems (IE: me), then the people at SoE can too.

Seriously, you're getting hung up on a word its blatantly obvious people just mixed up the terminology.
    Kraeref likes this.
  8. Neiloch Well-Known Member

Of course they can, but they are getting much more than a handful of people talking to them. It still slows them down as well because to get a proper idea of what's happening they have to pry it out of them first instead of getting to it quickly. When working on these problems things like 'well they said lag but I think they meant hitching or drop frame rate' is not good enough if you want a prompt fix. Lots of general complaining will motivate them to start feeling around in the dark for possible problems but it would be unreasonable to expect a quick turnaround like that.

Mixing up the terminology wouldn't be an issue if both problems weren't happening and have COMPLETELY different solutions requiring completely different people to fix them. Vaguely saying 'fix all the code' isn't going to get anything done either.

I'm trying to help people expedite a solution. If you don't care if it takes longer then fine, call it what ever you want. Call it 'bad things when I'm playing with lots of people', it would be about as helpful as when you mix up lag and hitching.

They have and are already doing something about the lag.

Prestige abilities bards and beastlords have were causing an abnormal amount of strain and have been changed and pushed to test.
    http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...t-update-notes-tuesday-february-26-2013.4754/

That's true but unfortunately that isn't entirely in SoE's control. I believe all they can really do is complain and apply pressure to the people who oversee that hardware.

I suspect their clients only because it isn't a universal problem. I myself have experienced very little to no drop in framerate using performance settings and I can't run most new games at max settings without dipping below 30 FPS. But its also ridiculous to act as if it can't possibly be client side. I know for a fact some of these are client side because I've solved them on these very forums.
  9. Kraeref Well-Known Member

I know Neilock, you always were helpful in support forums and i hope and sure people appreciate your help!
    I just hope that soe will continue to work on these two issues from their side of the road. B/c it's unfair to sit and rely on customers helping customers instead of the game developers as well.
    Neiloch likes this.
  10. slippery Well-Known Member

It's 10 year old net code that hasn't been touched and isn't remotely optimized for all the additional information that has been added to it. It's passing too much information in a horribly inefficient way. More information needs to be passed in a single message. When I cast an AE everything it hits, proc's, and does should be passed in one message too and from the server. Right now that isn't remotely the case. Right now every target, every type of damage/deagro, every proc, everything is a different message to the server. So instead of one message that you can streamline a bit, you have a ton of messages that are just giving you a ton of additional overhead that has to be processed.

Also, I'm pretty sure this game has a heart attack when you try to cast instant cast spells.
  11. Neiloch Well-Known Member

Did you notice the effects on the new equipment? Its just static effects for like 6 CB and such instead of procs. I found that kind of amusing.

One piece of delay I get a lot is on AE auto attacks, I can see everyone just go idle for a couple of seconds while my auto attack bar is full, then it catches back up in a big burst.
  12. Kraeref Well-Known Member

Lol'ed
  13. Kraeref Well-Known Member

Oh, I noticed it too about autoattack.
  14. Avithax Well-Known Member

Before you say what is and isn't lag you should try pulling an Avatar or any contested mob on Nagafen when an opposing player is within tracking distance in the zone. Coming from a bluebie server i doubt you have a clue what you're talking about when it comes to how bag our lockups/lags happen here. Take a 20mbs connection hooked up to a gaming rig that laughs at anything that this outdated game can put out and all of a sudden you're playing at 1fps, you have a mechanics issue called "LAG" because you are not seeing the fight in real time anymore.

I'm sure it's all wonderful in your rose garden on BB but come experience it first hand before you dictate that a server full of players are imagining things or have bad computers.
  15. Neiloch Well-Known Member

FPS problems != lag. Lag isn't a blanket term for 'not seeing the game in real time' especially when dealing with online games. 1 FPS isn't a mechanic issue called lag, its a problem called 'low frame rate' or 'low FPS'

This is lag. Loldawg just thought the game was froze because everything stopped moving which is understandable especially if you don't have a FPS monitor up and/or a 'button' user rather than a 'clicker'
  16. Drumstixx Active Member

Kind of tired of this guy trying to explain in his opinion what lag is.

Unsurprising to many, there are actually server-to-client, and vice versa, problems/slowdowns happening that also cause severe FPS drop for unseen reasons. There is however tons more where the game data is slowing down or stopping completely, and the FPS of the game is unaffected. In addition, you will find that the game sometimes thinks it's FPS is running at a different rate than it actually is due to some kind of client slowdown.

Lastly, I'm almost positive that the term "lag" has zero exclusivity to internet data transfer. Just because it is used most commonly in that method, not everyone (obviously) uses it describe the same thing. Go look it up and kindly instruct yourself. On the plus side, yes it's useful when people describe their problems as as much detail as possible.
  17. Neiloch Well-Known Member

Its not an opinion. Unless of course 'jet lag' and 'lagging behind' are referring to people suddenly moving as if they were projected as a slide show or moving like a bad claymation cartoon opposed to experiencing a relative time discrepancy.

Calling something lag when it isn't, where there are already other established and more accurate terms causes confusion. Even in the most recent lag problems for EQ2 there were already uninformed people assuming people complaining was there computer hitching due to poor performance.

I'll stop doing this when people stop correcting there/their/they're and your/you're in every instance possible. At least when people screw that up they still get the meaning. Then again I have eased up since February (this thread), I've instead opted to simply asking 'Can you describe your problem without using the word 'lag' please?'
  18. Draylore Well-Known Member

I push button....nothing happens for several seconds. I don't care what people want to call it (i know its Lag) ....but its annoying as hell and has gotten worse over the last few weeks.

I can get 60FPS in raids but its pointless if I am also getting a few sec of delay on actions.
  19. Drumstixx Active Member

Not sure how I managed to find this thread before the other when looking and posting. In the end I don't care much, because even as much as these issues have been brought up, it hasn't been enough to get enough fixes in the game to cause real results.
  20. Mankar Active Member

Random spikes of 2,000+ ms ping on pulls or in the middle of a fight; sometimes lasting as long as 10 seconds. Feels bad man :( And it isn't my internet. Not a single other game of mine does ping spikes like this.
    Kraeref likes this.