Koko's AoM Warden Guide

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Koko, May 25, 2015.

1. Koko Well-Known Member

In-House Ethereal Farm 8/16/15, 400-500 ping hype!
    Posting memorable moments after sleeping, but they include
    Complaining about ping throughout the entire video (continuous, start to finish, sorry/not sorry)
    Discuss using Winds of Salvation to block End Around and then completely forgetting to call for it (it was 2:00 am!)
    Burning RC event heroic name #3 with three sleep deprived players with high ping to avoid the script
    Lots of proactively managing timers by feel

No commentary this time, there is however, group banter.
  2. Koko Well-Known Member

PUG Ethereal Farm 8/18/15
    When I stream PUGs there is a 100% chance of a fighter ethereal dropping, 2/2 nights.
    Moments include:
    Trying to AE pull RC #1 with monk/warden/no hate management (don't do this)
    WTF knockback mechanics in Thresh #1
    Whiff DP on HH #1

Overall very uneventful 6 zones (1 hour 11 minutes), edit fighter ethereal hype!
  3. Tsurupettan Active Member

this was changed in 2005. :rolleyes: mitigation is considered first and then the ward absorbs damage.
    Arielle Nightshade and Mermut like this.
  4. Koko Well-Known Member

PUG Ethereal Farm 8/19/15
    No fighter ethereal this time, /sad panda, I blame playing poorly (easily the worst performance so far).

Anywho, rebirth highlight time: RoM Name #2 (31:00)
    31:30 I am randomly selected for script (port group to player, root player, player radiates death AE)
    31:50 Another player is selected and I am ported to them, but am still rooted*
    31:54 My root breaks
    31:55 I die to radiating death AE after failing to obtain sufficient distance
    I should not have died here. However the play that I made and the logic behind it were sound.

I found myself ported and rooted, neither of which made sense. Typically players are ported or rooted, and yet I had both. I concluded if I was rooted from the previous DoT everyone around me would be dead (apparently a false conclusion, as per video review, but a logical one!). From which I had two options:

1. Assume I'm unjustly rooted -> break the AE and run away
    If right - I don't die to a rooted group member AE pulse
    If wrong - I pulse AE and kill everyone within 5 m of me
    2. Assume I'm unjustly ported -> attempt to move but do not break AE
    If right - I pulse AE but everyone moved away safely
    If wrong - I die to a rooted group member AE pulse

I went for option 2, hoping that if I were unjustly rooted it would break on its own and I could move to safety in a sufficient amount of time. Option 1 was correct, I was unjustly rooted, but I was unable to move sufficiently quickly and died (Q_Q). If I had paid attention to my detriment window, and recognized the detriments and their effects, I could have made the correct play.

tl;dr script borked rebirth fixed it. I'm overcritical of myself and, while the death was avoidable, the judgements for the unforeseen scenario which lead to its manifestation were sound. These scenarios happen, they are never "plan A," but they do and will occur.
  5. oranges Member

Is Faerie Ally actually useful under any circumstances?
  6. Koko Well-Known Member

Rarely, I recall casting it on Grendish the Betrayer in ToV in the (humorous) hopes that it would fly off and assist our weakest group (est. 100+ m away).

It suffers from health pools being too small relative to damage dealt (as do most non-ward heals). If health pools were to drastically inflate (50~100x) current values, which would approach the heal power vs. health pool ratio of RoK, it would be a powerful skill again.
  7. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

Faerie Ally is one of those things that might work, or might not. Since you aren't really conserving power...why not cast it? You just never know.
  8. Koko Well-Known Member

Duo Ethereal Farm 9/15/15

Highlights
    One zone because ain't nobody got time for that
    RC Event because belts are cool
    Watch me not cast anything for a second near the end because I didn't know what to do
    CAs/Spells were on cooldown
    Likely should have cast a heal/thorns, oh well
    Scout ethereal hype
  9. Mystfit Well-Known Member

I wanted to say how much I enjoyed your thread on AOM and wardens. I get so lost and confused with stats and AA's and gear and.....
    Best of all your advice was the suggestion of taking rebirth. I'd of never done it otherwise and for my current playstyle, it's the best!
    Hoping you may do an updated needed stats rundown for TOT someday! I know I'll read it, along with everyone's commentary!
  10. Koko Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the tl;dr version of said guide is "reroll a shaman". While it is possible to "force a druid to work" with a combination of death prevents/AE blocker/high DPS, content is trivial in comparison with a geared shaman. My recommendation is to retire from the class for the time being and, hopefully, health pools are considered relative to incoming damage and stat inflation in future content.

With the onset of ToT my playgroup transferred me to the DPS role and replaced me with a mystic.
  11. Twofeets Active Member

Well said Koko. Ive healed everything but Masters with my fury, but the reality is a lesser geared shaman can do it much easier while putting out similar or more DPS. There are simply too many '1 shot' merchanics in the new zones which I cannot ward/death prevent through.

Ive read countless threads on Uzulu, everyone has their own theory on what causes the big 5 increment BOOM, but the reality is after testing high dps, low dps, position, etc it still seems pretty random. If you have a high dps group that means you eat less AEs, but in pugs thats not always possible. (Meanwhile its childs play on a shaman).

Tepid is similar, yes with temps and death prevents I can keep the tank up, but if we get adds or a mob turns the others in the group die instantly. Most shamans can ward right through it.