[Kaladim] Been testing out classes, some help?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Sanctoss, May 8, 2019.

1. Sanctoss New Member

New player here. Ive leveled most classes that interest me up to about 12ish. So ive narrowed it down a bit. I want to level a tank and a dps, because our group of friends has a guy playing tank but his play may be limited a bit so since I have extra time Im going to level a second just in case. That said, I could use some help making the final decision and want to hear how these classes play as the game progresses. I know the classes are very different within their own category, but want to hear how they do when it comes to higher end stuff, and also how they do as xpacs release! Appreciate any thoughts.

Tank:
    Paladin vs Monk

DPS:
    Conjuror vs Swashbuckler
    Saw-Lau and Soara2 like this.
  2. Breanna Well-Known Member

I vote Paladin & Swashy

I've always played a Pally since day 1 I just love it no special reason. Swashy's right now at end game are awesome. I've had a love hate relationship with her but right now I'm loving her.
  3. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I would vote exactly like Breanna, especially for Kaladim. But from experience I know that others will say Paladin and Conjuror.
    Saw-Lau, Soara2 and Breanna like this.
  4. Soara2 Well-Known Member

Out of the 3 I have tried I would agree with Breanna and Cyrrena
    Saw-Lau, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Paladins are easier if you intend to tank for groups, because they have a lot of ways of getting hate via AOE. Monks have to do this single-target, mostly, and that requires skill. If you are just adventuring solo, a monk is probably more DPS and can feign death... just know that any time you group, people WILL expect you to tank. If you expect to raid sometime in the future, just be aware that a raid needs a max of two tanks usually (out of 24 available slots), so you will need to really get good and get geared if that's what you want to do.

Conjurors are EQ2 easy mode (I do love my conjy!) Your pet is a huge help. Like every caster, the armor is cloth and so you have to have a sense of humor about dying.

Swashbucklers are a good class. They are pretty durable and have some impressive DPS. If you plan to raid eventually, though, a swash is less-wanted in raids because they don't come with a lot of useful group buffs.
    Saw-Lau, Soara2, Cyrrena and 2 others like this.
  6. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

Personally I like shadowknights over paladins but I think that's personal preference. Paladins do get an advantage in that they get a resurrect spell and can heal others outside themselves. But they are much more labor intensive than a shadowknight in that you have to consciously proactively heal yourself, and on an SK the heals are built into their combat arts. I find paladins to be more mana-heavy than shadowknights. In deference to paladin vs monk, I'd pick a monk. I like the feign death ability, and after a few levels you can get one for the group too. Monks also get a single target heal that can work for anyone, and I believe it can also work outside the group iirc. You can also cure yourself of detriments, and on live servers, you can get a ward that helps chomp down some of the damage that comes from those, and if you have the adornment from last year's ethereal event, it makes it a group wide ability. Crusaders (pallies and SKs) can take a harder beating faster than a monk though. Monks (and bruisers) tend to rely on avoidance instead. Think Mr. Miyagi, "Best block no be there." whereas crusaders are more walking tin cans. Crusaders also use shields, which increases their defensive capabilities a bit more. Brawlers dual wield their weapons and are more offensive tanks.

As for the swashy vs conjy question, again, player related play style choice. I play mages poorly and tend to fall asleep while I play them, so....scouts all the way for me. LOL. Try them out. Worst that will happen is you won't like it, delete and re-roll. Good luck! Happy hunting!
    Cyrrena and Soara2 like this.
  7. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

I find that you really have to watch mana/power with a paladin, not so much with a SK.
    Cyrrena, Soara2 and Breanna like this.
  8. Soara2 Well-Known Member

I found the spell refresh rate a bit slower on paladin

Which is why all mine got betrayed
    Cyrrena, Breanna and Rhodris like this.