Just want to say TY TY TY I LOVE TS EXP BONUS ON WRITS

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Dionysoz, Aug 1, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-FoxRiverRanger Guest

[p]I too think the crafting system is good, it is the reason I play the game. However, I see nothing good coming from this increase in ease of leveling a character's tradeskill.[/p][p]I enjoy being a dedicated crafter bringing desirable goods to the market, offering my services for hire, and the performing the activities that support my occupation. I happily spend hours every week harvesting, because I want to bring my goods to market at a better price than my competitors (and to kill a few things for whatever quests I find around my harvesting areas). I spend time every day checking for low priced raws and rares to supplement what I harvest. I restock my broker daily, and check the prices of competitors. I know the names, playtimes, and pricing habits of most major competitors on the broker. Parsing my store log shows I have interacted with over 4,000 unique characters via the broker, plus countless others by commission or trade (and I have no idea from how many others I have purchased goods). If you think to call me a price gouger, then you have never competed to sell woodworker crafted items on The Bazaar.[/p][p]As implemented the tradeskill writ XP bonus is a godsend to those that want complete independence, or only to deal with those few players of their guild, and then to get back to 'the real game of adventuring'. If leveling a full set of crafters becomes a trivial activity that every player can accomplish, with minimal interruption of their adventuring, then the dedicated crafter play style option is destroyed. Without the need to make a commitment to leveling a crafter, there will be no customers left as everyone is self sufficient. Without anything other than level to differentiate crafters, this change goes beyond enhancing the game; by trivializing leveling it only stands to reduce player interaction. As designed, the game allows players to choose to commit their play time to pursuing different goals: harvesting, crafting, adventuring, or raiding. The broker, commissions, and trading allow players to interact and exchange the fruits of their labor with each other. By interacting with others, a player need not do everything; instead they can specialize in those aspects of the game they enjoy. Those changes that enhance each of these aspects of the game, without trivializing the commitment required to participate in them, I find good. When a change is made solely to pander to those that feel entitled to the full benefits that others earned, without making a comparable commitment; then I think the change is taking away from the game: just as adding Fabled loot tables to solo rewards would do significant damage to raiding, so to will over fast leveling damage crafting as a primary activity. Being independent in a game designed to encourage player interaction should require a significant commitment of time, not be an entitlement of every casual player.[/p]
  2. ARCHIVED-Mildavyn Guest

Ashrams@Najena wrote:
    When I look at a glass, i think it's half full... but it wouldn't surprise me if it was half full of Cianide... am I a Pessimist.
  3. ARCHIVED-Deson Guest

FoxRiverRanger wrote:
    Very well stated. I'm not sure that was the intent but it seems to be the result. How would you feel if there were other outlets?
  4. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

What are we taling about? I glazed over with all the huge nested quotes. Leveling time? My 69 Sage, who never harvests her own stuff and only walks from the banker to the mailbox to Wayfarerers: http://eq2players.station.sony.com/characters/character_profile.vm?characterId=303247107 [align=right]Adventure Time Played: 4 days 2 hours 58 minutes [align=right]Tradeskilling Time Played: 1 days 14 hours 50 minutes Total:[/align] 5 days 17 hours 49 minutes Last Time Played:[/align] July 26, 2007
  5. ARCHIVED-zaneluke Guest

[size="small"][face="comic sans ms,sand"]I think this is another great change. Less time crafting = more time to adventure. In order for the game to draw in more players they have to get rid of some of the grind. Im sorry, but in this day and age the people who can dump 4-5 hours a day into a game are not the majority. The game needs to move towards a more casual friendly gameplay that will attract more people and benifit the hardcore person. Just my opinion. [/face][/size]
  6. ARCHIVED-FoxRiverRanger Guest

Deson wrote:
    If a crafter had to make a choice between (1) writs that accelerate leveling and only having access to handcrafted recipes or (2) writs/quests that grant access to Mastercrafted recipes without speeding leveling; that would be a fair choice. However, the handcrafted recipes contain the consumable and commodity items that are the foundation of viability for many crafting classes (and are somthing I feel should be developed for all classes). Given that, I would still expect leveling to require more of a commitment than what the current writ XP bonus provides. Tuning leveling speed to the middle would be better than tuning it to the most ‘overpowered' class in the game. (For additional ability to distinguish a crafter with rare recipes, I would rather see content for acquiring Legendary and particularly Fabled recipes built into end-game content that a crafter would pursue after leveling to cap, or around level n8).
  7. ARCHIVED-Terron Guest

You seem to regard crafting as something that gets in the way of what you really want to do - adventure. You do not need to craft. You can spend all you time adventuring, and always could. Less time crafting does not mean more time to adventure. Crafting should be something that is enjoyable in itself and which is done by people who enjoy it, and then can sell the products to those who do not. Changing crafting to suit those who regard it as a necessary but unpleasant overhead that should be minimized is not a good idea. Crafting should not be a grind, just as adventuring at all levels should not be a grind. Both should be fun in their own right, in their different ways. Crafting could do with being made more challenging to make it more fun.
  8. ARCHIVED-Deson Guest

What Terron said.
    I can agree with most of that. I don't like the emphasis on leveling though. To me, if they are going to put in recipes for legendary/fabled, it should exist at all levels. Ideally, except maybe t1-2, I'd like crafting to be a flat landscape in the respect of decent recipes. You shouldn't have to wait until cap or near cap to get cool stuff. That's why I praised the DFC recipes despite the flaws I see in the design. Content like that gives rewards to all players of all persuasions, from level lockers to people who blow through levels and to crafters steadily climbing the ladder and those at the cap looking for more. Unlike adventuring, your recipes are always useful no matter the level and low/mid-level crafters compete near equally in the tiers they have access to. Considering its customer service nature, I don't see crafting as having an endgame, only a cap.
  9. ARCHIVED-Devilsbane Guest

[p] I see about 50 of those levels were before combines were taken away. :shock:[/p][p]Looks like I may be able to make Level 70 Sage in about the same total time. That should happen before RoK in release hopefully. If I can tear myself away from harvesting rares long enough. Seems the other thread about harvesting is correct. I am getting about 10+ rares an hour every tier! [/p]
  10. ARCHIVED-Deson Guest

Yeah, those subs must have taken some time to make.Noticing the WW rank of your sage made me want to check Players for TS class populations.Checking my own chars class rankings, Provi and Sage seem to be the most popular classes with everyone else taking a steep drop in numbers afterward, but Players doesn't seem to have a search by TS class feature and the old census site was out of date for a very long time so I didn't bother checking it.
  11. ARCHIVED-Liyle Guest

The point I've come around to (kicking and screaming) is that the faster you get to 70 the better. Unlike adventuring there really is no "journey" in crafting. You don't level out of interesting content or the ability to loot the good stuff. There is no advantage to being 20 over being 70. Might as well get there. If you are interested in selling stuff, bag, provisions and box/crate usage is not tied to level so there again... level 70 is where you want to be. At the risk of sounding silly, there has certainly never been a call for TS mentoring... With the current boost, I find the levels coming along at an acceptable clip. I don't think that anyone who hates tradeskilling is going to take it up just for the bonus but those who had gotten discouraged might pick it up again. I've noticed that a few folks in my guild who had let their crafting lapse have started in again and our guild level has started climbing as well.... we've been around since release but are so small it's been a slow haul. Another downside of being in a small guild is that I have the only t7 Alchemist, Tailor, Jeweler and Woodworker. Two of them I would dearly love to reroll but they are stuck until someone else comes up to take in the slack. I've been actively touting the new xp to entice the ones who have made it to t6 to take advantage of the WO's, and they have been. Another thing I am hoping is that the xp bonus will act as a carrot to lure people away from broker dumping. There are a lot of advantages to WO's now: hardly any inventory space is needed for products, fuel is reimbursed at each step, extra coin is given on completion, SP's are awarded for self, guild and crafting faction, and now extra TS xp. I don't mean the problem has gone away. Just yesterday I thought I might put one of the cool new furniture items on the broker but someone (who was not selling from a display container) had already cranked out 35 and dumped them for fuel cost. Sigh.
  12. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

Domino thinks the upcoming changes to the TS Arts will help with that... /goes back to working on the mechanics panel write up.
  13. ARCHIVED-MW2K2 Guest

I've gotta chime in that I LOVE the new XP rewards on writs myself. My Armorer, Carpenter, and Provisioner are MUCH more fun to level now that I'm not tearing through materials grinding on hundreds of combines to get a level. I hadn't touched my Carpenter since she hit 40s ages back but with the new recipes and the XP reward, she's actually seeing some action for a change and I'm enjoying her again. It's too bad it's being seen as trivializing crafting. I know for myself I have no complaints!
  14. ARCHIVED-Methriln Guest

well since i saw this thread might as well throw in my thx as well for ts writ xp :-D. Went from 46-70 in 3 days. Made lvling up so much easier plus i got the envoy title which is kool8)
  15. ARCHIVED-Deson Guest

That sounds fast even for whats reported already. How many hours was that?Use potions or anything?
  16. ARCHIVED-Tokamak Guest

Nah that looks perfectly reasonable to me, ive done similar. Its at the point for me where t5 is the slowest tier to level through. Sounds wierd but there ya go.
  17. ARCHIVED-Deson Guest

It sounds reasonable for someone with a large playtime. I assume most players to have 4 hours a day at max(same as the last avg US tv time I remember). If it was over long playtimes then ok, if not, I'm curious to what all was going.
  18. ARCHIVED-Liyle Guest

Depends on the class too. My Jeweler is leveling much faster than my Carpenter but she also hit the vitality wall pretty fast. I understand that vitality isn't docked when you get xp from WO's, so her combination of discos plus 2 WO's per level might have cost more in vitality than it needed to. Not sure. It wouldn't be hard to imagine 5 or 6 hours play time for a working person if they start at around 6 or 7pm and close up shop at midnight. People who watch the 6 o'clock news, primetime and the Daily Show/Colbert Report afterwards put in about that much TV a night. However, a student on summer vacation could easily top that...
  19. ARCHIVED-Binkle Guest

You have been making this same point over the entire course of the thread. If you don't have anything else to add, then please move on to something else.
  20. ARCHIVED-Deson Guest

I'm asking for detail. My arguments were already made, now it's only curiosity. If you read the statement, you'll see that I already said that the speed sounds fine under current conditions for someone with a large playtime but someone with smaller I'm wondering what techniques were used. There is no actual argument in the statement made and hasn't been from me for some days now. Indeed even most of my repeated arguments after the first couple days were in response to others for clarity of view and not aimless rehash. Of course, feel free to dispute that as you wish.