Just too easy.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Poopoo, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Xevran Well-Known Member

Yeah the game is unfortunately extremely easy until the most recent content. If you wait until the next TLE server that will probably be closer to what you want, but the main game is just super unrewarding to play anymore (below level cap) due to the insane power creep.
  2. Sunlei Well-Known Member

You play a single player game in a tiny Ai world. Have you considered trying something new? how about 2 accounts at the same time? And/Or come to the pvp server, nothing harder mode game then vs real people! or 2 accounts at the same time vs real people..that's ******* impossible hard!
    Raff likes this.
  3. Raff Well-Known Member

That is one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever read. Any fool can pull large heroic mobs and die.

The challenge is to pull the same mobs and NOT die.
    Breanna, tasnee and KauaiJim like this.
  4. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

Yes, but there's no penalty for failure, which is what the OP was complaining about. No real risk, no real challenge.

[IMG]
  5. KauaiJim Active Member

I understood the OP's point just fine. And the OP's opinion is fine too. However, the OP does make some rather over-the-top statements. In the above example the OP is saying "What's the penalty for attempting to battle something extremely difficult?". My reply to that statement is, again, it has always been that way in EQ2.

Yes, the game is easier than it used to be. Still, there never was a nail biting forehead sweating level of maybe I shouldn't do this because it will cost me dearly. If the OP had said "This game is too easy now." and not gone on and on about death and character deletion, then I could agree entirely with the OP (even though I like that it is easier now). If the OP had stated "This game needs more penalties to increase immersion and give folks reason to think about what they are about to attempt." I could agree with that sentiment also (even if it is one that I don't share).

Since the OP has deleted everything - including all of their original toons, I can derive from that much alone that the OP has a rather extreme mindset. Which is okay. Just don't be shocked that one of the older mmo's isn't filling your need. Complain about it, sure. Present it like it used to be the hardcore hell you desire? Yeah - not so much.

I'm beginning to wonder if the OP isn't reminiscing about EQ instead of EQ2. As I stated in my earlier post, THAT game made you think twice before running in like a maniac. You could actually de-level your toon. You could not get back to your corpse to loot the gear and lose it. You were extremely gimped until you did get back to your corpse and loot it. At the very least you would lose any buffs you waited around and paid for and have to go get those again.

So, I agree with Raff that the statement is a bit ridiculous since the "challenge" in EQ2 never had the 'perma-death' level of punishment that the OP seems fixated on. The "challenge" in EQ2 would be to take on the mob(s) and NOT die. And has always been that way. Frankly the OP's statements originally had me thinking that they were a troll because they were a bit ridiculous. I'm choosing instead to take them seriously and give them straight answers (other than my Half Dome joke which was to lighten the mood, not insult).

Overall difficulty... that has certainly changed in EQ2. Penalties, not so much. I think maybe the OP is looking for a game with really tough penalties. It is being confused with what is considered 'fun' and 'challenge'. Those are different things. Punishment/penalties is not the same thing as challenge and fun - unless you personally make it that way in your own mind.

Now, raiding has a penalty (or at least did back when I used to be into it) in that you could go darn near broke trying to pay for repairs and potions etc. not to mention the PITA of having to put together another group and all the time spent and lost if you aren't successful. Not sure if that is still the case. My raiding days are pretty much over.

Back to the OP - I thought of another thing you could maybe try (if you are even still watching this thread)... Have you ever played Age of Conan? They have an "Unconquered" challenge. You have to level up completely with zero deaths. Doesn't matter if it was lag or the internet went down. You cannot die even once. At least that's how it used to be. Unfortunately the rewards were lackluster. Also, folks did find ways to cheat it. But it is closer to what you seem to be looking for than what EQ2 has to offer.`

TLDR: The OP has a point but it is being presented in an extreme / dramatic fashion that does qualify as ridiculous to some of us. No need to bring SpongeBob into this. ;)
  6. AOE1 Well-Known Member

The corpus runs ended in eq1 years ago. Now it just goes to the Guild Hall where some nice cleric will rez ya sooner or later or you pay for an npc rez.

What I am reading from the OP is just someone seeking attention. There are tons of games out there and perhaps he/she can find one that better suits his desires.
    Xianthia and Breanna like this.
  7. Celestia Well-Known Member

This is what I'm thinking too. Why come to the forums just to complain when you can easily just say to yourself, "this isn't for me" and move on to a different game? Honestly, it just screams, "let's see who will bite?"
    Breanna and Hartsmith like this.
  8. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Yup. Go play Valheim or any other "survival" genre for a while. Nothing like having invested hundreds of hours of your life in finally getting all your best-craftable gear, setting sail to go find that Next Boss, then dying somewhere far from your home base and losing the boat and all your new, spiffy armor...

That level of pain has never really been available in EQ2.
    Breanna likes this.
  9. Raff Well-Known Member

Looking for fear and risk in a video game is asinine. The most you can ever lose in any video game is your progression and time input. If losing that really instills fear in you? Might be time to find a new hobby.

Now, if every time you died in a video game it extracted cash from your bank account? THAT would be scary.
  10. Pink Poodle Maid of the Evening Storm

MMORPGs in general are toned down these days. There are difficult options though, Steam has a "difficult" category you could use.
  11. Dristlin Member

Risk and challenge are two different things.
    Challenge is how hard it is to do something, what you risk is irrelevant to if something is challenge. If it is hard to do it is hard to do.(a big part of weather you win or loose is your gear) Challenge is how difficult it is to win not what you loose if fail.

Gear check or requirement does not make something hard.

Risk or potential loss is some thing you can loose. a high risk might give a rush to some but discourage others. If you discourage people you will drive them away.

You do not need to loose something for something to be hard. Making new high risk penalties for deaths in a fight that is 80% about the gear you have will drive away and it is not like EQ2 had the pop for it.
  12. Komatus Well-Known Member

Ya, he is most likely trolling for walleye...;)
  13. Celestia Well-Known Member

LOL. Maybe poorly worded, but still. I do think the OP should just move on. It's not helping him more by complaining.
  14. Komatus Well-Known Member

I'm a fisherman so that basically means he is trolling for a bite.:D He did well! Several bites in this thread.:rolleyes:
  15. Celestia Well-Known Member

Ah I see! Yes, yes he did, LOL
  16. KauaiJim Active Member

Nibble <swims away>
    Breanna likes this.