Just too easy.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Poopoo, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Poopoo Member

I recenlty came back to the game. Was looking to have some of the fun I remembered. I deleted all my toons and wanted to start fresh.

I created a level one, I wasnt' going to use any /claim items and I want to just work my way up.

But the game is too easy. There is no excitment. Killing mobs and gaining levels is slow, but not hard. It just takes some time and as long as I don't over pull, there is no challenge to the game at all. I can defeat every encounter I come accross, mostly because nothing attacks me unless I attack it. Mobs don't run away, don't call for help, only once did I have a wondering mob join the fun, but it didn't add enough of an additional challenge that I failed. I have died (not that it matters) when I pulled Orange or Red mobs. But other than that, and because there is no penilty for death, there is no excitment in the game. I've died many times, but each time it was "oh well".

So, then I went hard mode. Been deleting my character after every death. I'm up to level 43 with no deaths. I'm putting nothing in the shared bank. Again, slow, but not hard. It's easy and I think I can probably get many more too. It's not fun, it's not exciting and it's not hard. But the only excitment I can force to have in this game is if I make myself delete my toon if I die, otherwise, the game is just dull.
  2. Obano Well-Known Member

Get to level 120 and then tell us it is too easy. All those early levels were nerfed into a long tutorial for the game.
    Paragonvii likes this.
  3. Paragonvii Active Member

Dear mister poopoo,

You did ehm....what? I'm a bit tired but did ye say "deleted all my toons"? And know you've gone a bit "dark souls style" deleting your toons after every death?

Well. I guess different things for different peeps. Who the heck am I to judge. As long as your having fun I guess. There is quests and much to explore and do rather than solo mobs to help level up. Just hope your enjoying your game time
  4. Twyla Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you're not enjoying it. But I think you're quitting too soon. Are you just doing the overland things? The dungeons can be challenging. The mobs are larger and do 'interesting' things, such as debuffing you, and poisoning you, etc. Around the time you are quitting is when most mobs do come out of nowhere to kick your rear. BTW there is a penalty for death, you are weaker for some time after each death. Then your armor begins to break. See what happens to it when you die so many times your armor or weapon is at 0%, it's not pretty.
  5. Paragonvii Active Member

*this. Poopoo get a level 120 toon raid ready, then let us know if it's boring and easy :p
  6. Ephras Active Member

7. Celestia Well-Known Member

I've played this game on and off for 17 years now. Yes, they have nerfed the early lvls, Like you, I recently returned and was a bit skeptical on what I would find. Get to 120 and then see if you're still in that boat.
  8. Raff Well-Known Member

Sounds like he is fighting at his level. If you only fight grey con mobs at your level, that will be how you experience the game. But with the early quest gear & AA choices, you should be fighting mobs at least 2-3 levels above you to get any kind of challenge.

Don't blame the game because you didn't challenge yourself.
    Breanna likes this.
  9. Poopoo Member

I've been there. The game is even more easy when you start wearing raid gear. Not only is it easy, there is no need to fear any mobs. If I die? So what? Thats why I've been deleting my toons as I level. At least there is some work to it then.
  10. Poopoo Member

Thats the thing, there is no challeng. Unless I delete my toons after a death, there is no point in not dieing. I could fight red mobs all day and who cares of they beat me. That's not a challenge. If there is no fear in what I'm doing, there is no challenge.
  11. Taled Well-Known Member

You're clearly looking for a different type of game. I don't think there is *any* current MMO that has what you consider a challenge.

(PS: If you've died, you were clearly challenged. Not losing everything because you died doesn't mean it wasn't a challenge, it just means it isn't *punishing*)
  12. Komatus Well-Known Member

After reading your post carefully I have determined that you should probably try playing a different game. This game is the way it is so that lots of people can play it and have fun. It may well not fit well to your style of play. Also, you seem to be determined to get punished. Maybe you should see a shrink? Just a suggestion.
    Raff, Asteny and rutro86 like this.
  13. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

You could play on a TLE server for mobs that'll fight back a bit more when leveling, but they nerfed any real death penalty out of this game over a decade ago. I'd suggest P99 if you don't care about graphics.
  14. Fangrim Active Member

15. rutro86 New Member

Amen!
    Komatus likes this.
  16. KauaiJim Active Member

Have you tried playing on a cheap laptop while freeclimbing Half Dome? Dip your hands in Crisco for 'hard mode'!

But seriously, this (and most other mmo's) don't sound like what you are looking for. While the levelling experience has been made much easier (thank goodness) there is plenty of challenge left here - just not the nail biting white knuckle sweat beads on the forehead grit teeth "if I fail this I will pay a permanent heavy price" kind that it sounds like you are seeking. You kind of over made your point about deleting the toon after any death. It tells me that you are looking for something extreme. That kind of extreme was never in this game that I recall and I've been here since day one.

One possible idea - I started my mmo career back in 2000 playing EQ. It was hard. Very. At least for me. I know there is now a "Project 1999" version that takes things back to that point where things were silly hard.

As for this game no longer being fun... that is very much an opinion and very subjective. I know many folks who are upset and angry about changes over the years they perceive as dumbing down and making rewards too easily accessible with less risk. That's fine to have that view and I get it.

But I'm kind of in the opposite boat from you. I'm tired of raiding and guild in-fighting over loot. I'm glad I no longer have to plan every pull of trash mobs in the croc caves. I'm extremely grateful to be able to do more things solo as that fits my real life MUCH better. I'm glad a lot more is accessible and available for me to experience without having to join top tier guilds. I'm having a blast in EQ2 as it is currently and I readily acknowledge there are a ton of new issues like incomprehensibly large stat numbers and stats becoming next to useless, etc.

Had this game still been in 'silly hard to get anything' mode when I recently came back I would not be playing it much, if at all.

I remember in EQ having to spend time and money just getting buffs (clarity, etc.) before I could attempt anything. I also remember having to log off and wait until the next day before I could get help on a corpse run. I remember spending over two months camping Stormfeather trying to get the Eyepatch of Plunder (my brother got it the first time he zoned in there which sort of killed my sense of accomplishment lol). Getting in chest bumping contest with others seeking the same. I remember getting constantly 'trained' in Karnor's and High Keep...

So OP my view on it is 'been there done that'. I have fond memories of those challenges and the reward feeling when you finally accomplish something after planning and trying over and over, but I would NOT want to put myself through that at this point in my life. I'm not trying to change your view or what your are wanting, but I am pointing out that there are many folks like me out there and that is most likely why finding something that meets the level you are looking for might be in itself a "challenge" for you.

BTW, being an mmorpg junkie who has multiple accounts in many many top tier mmo's and even closed beta'd many of them (back when it really was a beta lol) I can give you a heads up that almost all of them follow this pattern of getting easier and making more content available to more folks. If for no other reason they do it for the money. They are businesses after all. If they made this game the way you want it to be then it's likely the small population who would enjoy that wouldn't be enough to support it. And yes, the same holds true on the other side of the scale... too easy also would only appeal to a small fraction and likely not be viable financially.

I hope you can find something that meets your needs.

TLDR; EQ2 is not the droid you're looking for...
    Hartsmith, Asteny and Komatus like this.
  17. Asteny New Member

I find a lot of challenge in the dungeons. I enjoy this game. I have done raiding in Everquest in 1999 been in static groups in FFXI and raided in WoW. Played a lot of hard content in FFXIV. Had enough of that and now I am playing this game.

The game is not for you, why are you wasting your time playing it. Go find another game. Frankly your post sounds like you're looking for affirmation for your point of view and what use is that. Most of us just leave a game once they find it no longer makes them to happy to play it. It's not like we can change how the games feels for you , that's entirely up to you to find the joy in playing a game. If you cannot find it there is no use in sticking around.
    Hartsmith and Komatus like this.
  18. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

Yeah, pretty much the only thing I can immediately think of that will meet the OPs desire for challenge and penalty is Project 1999.
  19. Paragonvii Active Member

Hey friend. Just want to clarify~ not trying to come across as totally snarky~ but there is so much to getting a toon read ready, if that was a breeze to you (adorns, level mercs & merc buff, level mount, proper gear, proper resolve/ fervor & potency, spell levels (multiple), siglines) then do you have any fully decked out toons? Its a very hard thing for someone to delete those, because there is so much work involved in doing so. As a matter of fact, its difficult to get more than one toon read ready. Maybe you are paying cash for upgrades and that makes it easy for you? But then again, why would you turn around and delete those toons.

Again! Not trying to be snarky, I am just thinking this through. I normally hear people complain about the difficulties returning players have, I believe its a first to hear someone say everything is just too easy. If that truly is the case, if you really can get your toons to that level with ease you should be scouted out by top raid guilds, no?

Anywhoo. Have you tried "Bloodborne"? It is the hardest game I have ever played in my life. I use to pvp and have beaten the story line several times over. If you are not afraid of punishment in games, there is no other definition BUT the souls series (and Bloodborne was the only one I took to).

Anyway mate I do hope you find happiness and would even hope in EQ2.
  20. Paragonvii Active Member

This was a cool suggestion, I am going to keep my peepers on this one myself. If they improved on the first, it could be something.
    Fangrim likes this.