Just Occurred to Me

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Ritual, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Niboota Well-Known Member

That is terrible :(.
  2. Niboota Well-Known Member

Well l'll be available to you if you need me :)
  3. Mythical House Item Well-Known Member

I often do housing tours live on stream, especially of those posted on the leaderboards, to not only get inspiration but to inspire my viewers who not only play EQ2 but other games with housing. If you want a home shown, please feel free to let me know here or hop by stream sometime! As I do decorating tutorials in more than one game, a lot of my viewers love housing and it is very rare to see anything negative said. There is usually an understanding, in most decorating communities, that everyone has a different 'style' of decorating. Which is what makes everyone's ideas great, and we all get some sort of inspiration from what we see.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.
  4. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Thank you. But it filled me with an even greater determination to learn which is a good thing, I was not going to be defeated by somebody else's negativity!!
  5. Ritual Active Member

Weird , that's what Niboota said about my first house ( That is terrible :( ) and then moved on to showing one of her own.
    I just wish she hadn't been correct , i guess it's the price we pay asking for honesty.

Lol I lie so much , i never had a first house, I started on my third house and never told anyone.
    Cheer up everyone , at least none of us built Notre Dame , God what a terrible thing to happen,
    it was one of my favorites. I hope they rebuild it. Lets all send a buck or two.
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Did they find out what had started it? :(

One thing that encourages me: I've seen tons of photos of historical places in Europe, in Germany, France, Hungary, everywhere, things that had stood for centuries and were reduced to absolute rubble because of the bombing runs in WWII. You go to those sites now, you'd think WWII had never happened: things are rebuilt to the extent that the original builders probably wouldn't notice anything amiss. :)

Uwk
    who's been to Notre Dame in person. too... :(
    Cyrrena, Rosyposy and Breanna like this.
  7. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

You might not, but art and architecture experts certainly do notice the changes. Things like Notre Dame, or the stave churches in Scandinavia, or the structures built by the First Peoples in the Americas are all part of our World Heritage. They belong to the whole world as equal parts history, art, and story.

When you have to rebuild one of these sites, what you get is a modern interpretation of the original structure. Modern building codes come into play. One of my favorite professors in college studied the physics of medieval churches, figuring out how, exactly, they achieved the results they did, reaching ever higher to form "lacework in stone". Fire damaged stone will have to be shored up with various modern contrivances if the stone is split or weakened by the heat.

Do you know how many medieval and older buildings have sgraffito, little inscriptions here and there that may have been builder's marks labelling timbers or stones in an order that told workers where they went (much as we label pieces of a Norrathian build in the Layout Editor), but also include love notes, obscenities, prayers.... anything you might find in a modern graffiti? These notes tell us things about period building techniques, the language of the era, what people found humorous (potty humor is, apparently, timeless). In the Hagia Sofia there's a Viking runic inscription, for example, because Scandinavians came to join the famous Varangian Guard.

Sometimes later users of the space have built over, painted over, panelled over prior artwork, which comes to light later as renovations are underway. Renovations over time also tell us a lot about the history of a structure and the worldview of the people doing renovations (Notre Dame, for example, was made over into a secular library at one point before being turned back to the cathedral it was meant to be).

What's upsetting is that there have been a rash of people in the modern day burning specifically medieval churches (as well as modern ones) because of modern religious and/or political beliefs. This is a horrible loss to the world, because what's being lost doesn't just affect Christianity or even Christians, it destroys art and architecture. A number of the all-wood stave churches in Scandinavia have been torched over the years (some because of certain types of metal the arsonists listened to, some because of pagan viewpoints, or a mix), which is why I know so much about it. I really hope that the Notre Dame fire was an accident of renovation and not arson. Arsonists burning historical churches don't understand the art, architecture, worldview, and history they're destroying; they just see it as lashing out against all things Christian. And whether you like Christianity (or any other major religion) or not, you have to learn about it and its history in order to understand world history, which is necessary to understand modern world affairs.
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ouch; all very good points. :-/

When I heard about first the Taliban trashing the Buddhist statues (even after most of the other Muslims in the Middle East were saying things like, "Hey, if the idiots want to buy these things from you and cart them off, let them! It'll get them out of your sight, out of your country, and let them waste money on idols," they destroyed the World Heritage site [which is a pretty worthless designation unless it can be enforced and protected] anyway, 'cause "their religion told them to"); nonsense, I figured; they just liked destroying things for the pure hell of it, like ISIS today with their vandalism. The Muslims I've heard of, during their Golden Age and beyond, were scholars and scientists, mathematicians and artists and people who had such a reverence for the past, anybody's past, that the Greek and Roman stuff was still around for the Europeans to learn from, because they appreciated it for the beauty it had in it. :(

Not to say that Christian fanatics can't do horrible things too; anyone remember the Library of Alexandria? Etc., etc., etc.? :mad:

I, too, hope what happened at Notre Dame was a tragic accident. :(

Uwk
  9. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I never went to France, despite being born and raised in Dublin. But I did go and see the works in Florence of Michaelangelo and I went to the Sistine Chapel. I have been fascinated with Michaelangelo for more than 40 years now, and seeing those paintings in person is a really something to behold, especially since he was really a sculptor, that is where his true passion was. Those marble statues are flawless even now, very few have been damaged, most were kept safe from vandals and wars.

Let us hope and ask whatever higher power we believe in to keep the rest of the world's treasures safe from vandals, hatemongers, zealots and fanatics, terrorists, and wars. We do not have enough left to lose any more, no matter where they are located.
  10. Breanna Well-Known Member

Agreed!!! I think the new generations just do not care about history, regardless if it's good or bad it is still history. They've already gotten rid of tons of statue's I hope they are keeping them safe somewhere. Maybe future generations will want to know the history. One can hope.
    Cyrrena and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  11. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Just saw a blurb on it; they're thinking the Notre Dame fire had something to do with the renovations, that someone might've been welding without proper fire safeguards, and the sparks went up into the wooden roof interior, with the spires acting like chimneys to really draw it up. :-/

Uwk
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  12. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Not a happy like by any means, but a like for the information. Now I wish I had taken the time to get a penny flight on Ryan Air to France, but you know not real good history between England, Ireland, and France, and I already have the English Spousal Unit, couldn't push my luck to much.
  13. Febrith Well-Known Member

The term "spousal unit" always makes me think of a dwarven-made automaton type "husband" trailing behind you carrying your luggage sorta-thing:) Now there's an idea!
  14. Breanna Well-Known Member

I like that idea, now if only......
  15. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

My plan was to tour all of her homes at one point especially since I know they all will be so amazing. Plan was to do that with all the decorators and event houses at some point but life *sigh*. I thought Shanette was coming back too and she would be touring all the ones she missed while gone so I wasn't too worried how long it would take to get back to touring. I still haven't finished a house for someone very special which is just killing me it is not done. She has waited patiently for so long. Medical problems just piled up making it so much harder to pull myself up from depression hole. I am getting there though and hope to be back soon.
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Get better soon and focus on that! I'm sure your decoratee will understand. :)

Uwk
    Ocarinah, Febrith and Cyrrena like this.
  17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

The way I've heard, there was a bit of travel (more than a bit surreptitiously, sometimes) between Ireland and France back in the day, since a lot of Ireland still considered itself Catholic, as did most of France. Not sure about nowadays and travel.

Good news is, they got a lot of the relics out (there was one priest, who'd helped immensely during the troubles in 2015, who leaped in with the firemen and started a "bucket brigade" of items), a lot of the statues (probably marble, which can also burn really well :-/) were already removed because of the renovation, and it seems the big windows are all okay. The main thing to replace that might be tricky would be the big huge oak support beams, but I hope that if France asks reallllly nicely, the British might be persuaded to let them have a couple of the old-growth oaks they deliberately leave aside for the express purpose of replacing old oak beams in British buildings; if nothing else, they do get wormy after around 400-500 years or so. :)

Uwk
    Cyrrena likes this.
  18. Mariebella Well-Known Member

Hope you feel better soon, having struggled myself (I have SAD) I know how tough it can get, take care.
  19. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I am from Dublin. But I was one of the minority that was not Catholic. But having the English Spousal Unit was already breaking an unwritten rule, "WE DO NOT MIX WITH THEM" and actually they have the same unwritten rule. You should have seen the look on the faces of his family when I opened my mouth. And when he came to Dublin for the first time, if he wanted to be served say breakfast in a pub, I had to order and he had to keep quiet, it was quite humorous. And it all stems from the potato famines and prior to that when the King would send troops to plunder the crops and leave just the rotting potatoes and cabbages behind, that fostered the WE/THEM and it is still talked about by the old ones to the young ones.
  20. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I'd heard it was even earlier, that the Tudors started moving over Protestant settlers to the north, which was also a source of irritation. :-/

At any rate, hopefully things are a little more settled down these days! :D

Uwk
    in a "mixed" marriage as well; my Parental Units were okay with it, but a year later, his were still asking him, "Are you sure about this, honey...?" "YES, MOM..." And now we're gonna be 30 soon, 29 years after me mother-in-law doubted us! :D