Just Occurred to Me

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Ritual, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Duel of the Fates ftw. :D

First heard it live whilst at the Hollywood Bowl (first ever performance of it in North America). John Williams conducting. Los Angeles Philharmonic playing. If memory serves, the Los Angeles Master Chorale, singing the Sanskrit-translated lyrics of the Celtic song about a battle deep in a forest, deep in the night, between groups of good and evil trees (Basil Poledouris, another amazing composer [my personal fave of the 20th century composers], used choirs in nearly every one of his pieces...except Starship Troopers, deliberately).

Fairly decent seat; felt like that Memorex dude in that one ad, with everything getting blown back. Practically needed a cigarette afterwards. X-)

Uwk
    who truly, deeply, massively resents that piece being used for that whiny li'l wannabe Sith, Mr. Waste-of-Oxygen Anakin (who, at 9, was a really decent kid. It would have been a tragedy, in the true, storytelling mythic sense of the term, to have lost such a decent kid to the Dark Side. Ani at 19 was cluttering up the universe :-/), and saw Phantom Menace 4 times in one day purely for that 3-way fight scene... :D
    Soara2, Breanna, Niboota and 2 others like this.
  2. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I personally believe people need to grow thicker skins. People have gotten to a point where they are looking for something to be offended about. If you look for it, you will find it. If you cannot handle criticism, do not put it out there to be critiqued. There is always good with the bad, happy with the sad, et al.

People will probably find this bizarre, but I will put it out there to illustrate my point. When my mum was dying of non-hodgkins lymphoma, she was diagnosed the day before Thanksgiving 1998, and died March 16, 1999, her mum died March 18, 1999, which was my mum's dad's birthday (yes, he was alive and it was his 85th birthday). Anyway, during that less than 5 month period, we laughed, we found anything and everything we could to laugh about, a lot of it were things most people would find very morose things to be laughing about. My mum's entire life she said she had fat thighs, she was a chubby kid and a chubby teenager, until she had her tonsils out at 19, then she slimmed down to 110 lbs. Her non-Hodgkins lymphoma was in her abdomen and she looked ready to deliver a baby, but the rest of her looked like a skeleton, she was walking into the kitchen or something, and she said "oh look, I am a little skeleton person, but I still have fat thighs!!!" and my girls, my brother, my mum and I just all howled with laughter. Most people would find that terribly bizarre, and in truth it probably was. But we knew, no matter what the oncologist was telling her, what was really happening to her, and the laughter made that less than 5 months easier to bear, and we have some happy memories from that time, of laughing together instead of just crying. (When she died, she weighed 93 pounds, 61 pounds was my mum, 32 pounds was cancer cells contained in her abdomen, she passed from dehydration, she could not swallow even 2 drops of liquid because of the volume in her abdomen and her oncologist didn't see it as a problem and gram negative sepsis).

We can choose to laugh, we can choose to hate, we can choose to be offended, et al. My point, make your like easier, happier, and overall better, by choosing what you want to feel.
  3. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

My mom is 88, and we joke about Alzheimer's, which is very prevalent in her family. Her grandfather had it around age 50 (his mother probably did, too), her mother had it around age 70, and her siblings who lived long enough all had it, and Mom's siblings who lived long enough had it, including her one remaining brother age 92 who has it now. We joke that if she gets it, she won't have to live with it for long...
  4. Febrith Well-Known Member

You're lucky to have anyone to video your homes lol, I haven;t seen Bougie for months (and he didn't really care for doing videos) and no sign of Shanette yet:( and I agree that the video requests have really dropped off lately - maybe a lot of people are working on the current decorating event? There will soon be a whole bunch of videos to watch from that and I believe Soka has already approached the organisers with a view to sorting that out.

Yes, the "open criticism" thing - hmmm, not so sure about that. Unlike Niboota, I have been to a couple of houses which had nothing (in my personal opinion I must stress) to recommend them, to the point where I have thought there was little to no effort put in and I've been a bit embarrassed for the decorator even asking for a video and I've not wanted to put them on my channel. That being said guys, what the hell do I know? What I think is amazeballs may be "meh" to someone else. Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. Even when I see something that blows my mind, there will always be someone who can't even admire the imagination or the hard work that's gone in to creating some homes or unique items in them /shrug. So I'm not going to be that girl - I believe that if you can't say something nice then try not to say anything at all.
    Constructive criticism with kindness is worth it's weight in gold though - I used to have a friend who played on my server who would kindly run through my homes before I published them to point out anything that was "off" - as has been said, you get so close to your own work that you can't see the wood for the trees any longer. Now they don't play and so I'm on my own and what I publish is what it is (including random floor tiles left about - (I'm looking at you Spirit of new Orleans house!), and at the end of the day, we only do this to please ourselves.
  5. Ritual Active Member

OMG so even Feb fires 2 torpedoes into my side , lol , just kidding , yes I love watching tours and now they are so slow , getting posted like 2 a month , I really miss watching them.
    I understand the beauty in the eye of stuff but i'm sure you have seen ideas people get that are amazing , and it may be just by staggering blocks or using reflective materials in some places ect. heck turn a troll bench upside down and walla a new fountain base that really looks nice.
    What i was thinking of in general was helping overcome decorators block , that spot when the house is 90% done, been sitting like that since Notre Dame was finished. That "boy is this garden boring" and eeesh I wish I knew what to do in the green room.
    All my houses are open to visitors from the first tile forward and anyone is welcome to come look and say what they think.
    Half of what you see may be replaced anyway , I'm not crazy about the ideas i come up with half the time. I either end up running out of room for items and have to leave rooms empty , or just letting it go as is because i'm out of ideas, both bother me and i wish someone else would have said , " a row of roses would have really looked good right there."
    I'm luck as i have Cattikie to come see what i'm up to all the time , she tells me that bench is 4 feet off the ground or says nice , that looks like a 25 cent ride at a carnival ( my precious throne room) but i tell you it all helps in the end , and most of the time she is correct (except when i over rule her , because she doesn't know what she is talking about).:D
  6. Niboota Well-Known Member

Awww thanks Uwk!! It is my dream for Niboota to be a menace on Norrathian society! *cackles maniacally* :p
  7. Niboota Well-Known Member

LOL Well I have been checking the forums every couple days. I just don't leave comments every time :D. And I'm sure there are things I miss, because I don't check every single thread o_O.

P.S. Phantom Menace *cackles*
  8. Niboota Well-Known Member

SO TRUE. I was never so grateful as when a group of you guys asked how I felt about you doing your own tour videos (which was really considerate and polite btw), because I was the only one doing them before that, and I had SO many tour requests, that I was overwhelmed and could not keep up, and I'd never even meant to turn into the game's tourist. I just toured all the time and one day I thought "hey I should video my touring adventures! That could be fun!" When I handed my tour list over to you guys, some of the those homes had been on there for like 6 to 9 months :(. Maybe longer. The requests were INSANE.

You know, that did actually happen to me once. I just remembered. Someone requested a tour, and when I zoned in, it was almost empty, and what was there was just kind of... set down in general areas. In that instance I did not make a video. I would not have been embarrassed to make one (then again there is almost nothing that embarrasses me, so that's not saying much LOL), but the idea is to share your ideas, and there really wasn't anything there to share. I sent the owner an in game mail and explained why I could not make the video and offered to come back in the future, when their home was more complete.

Exactly. These are the words I live by - mostly, but in online platforms - always! When online, if I have anything less than stellar to say (which isn't often thankfully), I just keep my mouth shut and my head down, and I absolutely stay completely and totally out of any sort of disagreement, even if someone I really like is trying to drag me into it! I don't like to hurt people, and I don't like to be hurt, and it's none of my bee's wax anyway. I'm Switzerland baby!

Absolutely! I sometimes need someone to come take and look and tear my place apart, so I can make sure it's as awesome as my skill level will allow!
  9. Febrith Well-Known Member

a) Oh shaddup, you know I love your stuff! And I know, I miss them too.

b) I'd totes tell you that:p

c) This ^^ haha:)
  10. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I have no issue with constructive criticism. Its when someone comes in and says this place looks like sh$% or something, that is not constructive.

I do hope we have someone that will be doing Kaladim. I gave 2 of my 3 prestige homes to my guild to use for guild houses and we are working really hard decorating them with very little. We have the building block books for the last 3 expansions but we do not have the materials to make them, we have no things from loyalty or city festivals or events or holidays and no moonlight enchantments so we are doing what we can with just shattered lands materials, no tinkered items either.

It would be nice to have someone tour our somewhat finished products, as we will be updating things as new materials are available to us.
  11. Mariebella Well-Known Member

I'm doing our guild house, luckily I was able to get some plants from our accidental grottos but tbh we bought a bunch of stuff from the store to make our place pretty. I went from yes I'm playing on Kaladim but not giving daybreak any more money to here here take all my money when I looked at some of the amazing studio stuff.

Shame we don't have anyone to tour your stuff Feb, I wouldn't even know where to start making videos and I;m scottish so I would need sub titles. I agree with the whole if you can't see anything nice thing, its not for videos I don't think but if someone is homeshow channel says can someone critique then they should expect people to be honest. I think constructive feeback is best one on one.
  12. Katz Well-Known Member

From when I watched videos from some of my houses being toured, I realized I wasn't setting the appearance of the house actors in both appearance versions. A simple thing like that is important to do. I too would love suggestions on things like that when I do houses. I'm pretty sure we can keep it helpful. I think you have a good idea.
  13. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

I have Building, Ocarinah, and Oaky chars on Kaladim but all 3 are still on the boat. Oaky is goodie and Building/Ocarinah evil so I can go to both sides. My kitten has been keeping me up some nights where I cannot think well enough to decorate but would be okay to tour a place or two from that server. It is one of those nights so I will try to get them off the boat at least.
  14. Febrith Well-Known Member

Lol I'm exactly the same, I'm not paying for that...oh but, I neeeeeeed it....oh well it's nearly pay day:p
  15. Niboota Well-Known Member

Has someone actually said something like that to you?
  16. Niboota Well-Known Member

No one tours Feb's homes???
    Feb I will tour your homes, if you are wanting someone to do that.
  17. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Yes actually. I made a greenhouse in an acorn and published it. It was the very first thing I published, and I received an in game mail telling me that it looked like that and I should have been ashamed to publish it. I unpublished that. Sold that acorn. Bought the largest acorn, rebuilt the greenhouse and republished it, and never received another nasty in game mail like that again. I recently relinquished that acorn and am going to rebuild the greenhouse in one of my prestige houses because I had to start getting rid of city houses because I was getting the prestige houses during Frostfell and hit max houses of 30.
  18. Febrith Well-Known Member

Thank you sweetie - I will surely let you know as and when (if, right now tbh lol) I publish anything else:)
  19. Febrith Well-Known Member

I can't believe someone would actually write a letter just to be so downright mean to a stranger, I'm shocked and saddened by that - just remember that it says more about their shriveled soul than it does about your work /hug
  20. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Thank you. At first I did not know if I would republish that house or any other house ever again and then my Irish stubbornness kicked in and I said to myself "No, something like this will not stop you from doing something you want to do and something you want to get better at" and it has not. I am still learning and I believe I am getting better with each one I do.