Join Us for the Rum Cellar Campaign this April!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Windstalker, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Daalilama Well-Known Member

Not one to agree with Darkon in the forums but if this is a serious producer's letter...then his response hit the nail on the head.
  2. Lightt Member

:mad: We PAID for a year of content. We should not have to pay for content updates until the year is over.
  3. Starstruck New Member

Terrible, terrible, terrible idea. Also, what Darkonx said.
    Rynda, Blueiris, Kinya and 3 others like this.
  4. Terrius Well-Known Member

If this is a April fools day post, well played, you have united the forum posters against your joke! If not... well let's just hope it is!
  5. Katanallama Well-Known Member

The benefit of posting something like this on April 1st: You can gauge the response and change it the next day.
  6. brokenshieldd Active Member

This is the worse Aprils 1st I have ever had I find out that a friend of might have died today. I still think its a joke just note sure yet...and now this if this is true I will be moving to lords of the ring online.I will still come back to see how my friends are doing if they are still here
  7. Lexxiii Active Member

April Fool's everyone. I don't buy this for a second. What a nice day to post this on, April Fools Day. Everybody, I think this is a joke, because if SOE/DBG really wanted to do something like this, it would of been implemented a few years ago when DLC's became popular. Like I said, I dont buy this for a minute. I will have to see it to believe it, because ever since DBG came on board, we have been handed bullcrap and empty promises. Make me a believer DBG, and dont let this be a childish April Fools joke for us Hardcore EQ2 players. If it is, this will be the last straw for me.
  8. Corydonn Well-Known Member

A few years ago I would have been upset at this, But after gaining insight on how DLC works and the industry goes. I think this practice is fine, Maybe add a group bundle for those looking to take a group in for a cheaper price. This content is something the developers DON'T have to work on since they are probably all busy working on the next expansion as well.

This is just a chance for them to make some content in between with the skeletal force they have and make some profit for the game that doesn't have much left on it. I didn't see anything in AoM's expansion purchase that promised new content would be free and future raids would be planned like the expansions before it. If you can find where they said the expansion will have planned content ahead please do grab me a link though.

If anything you should be glad that the game is giving you more and the option to pay and say "Hey I like the game and the content you make so I'm willing to throw a bit extra on the pile for added loot and dungeons that you don't have time to make with work on the new expansion is pretty cool!" The game is gonna die much faster if content like this wasn't coming out... and if this content is actually awesome and worth the price which I bet they are hoping. They might make enough revenue to hire some more content creators, Who knows!

P.S. Hearthstone is doing the same gad dang thing and it's loved all so much.
    Halanna and Deveryn like this.
  9. StoneLegion Active Member

Guys guys.. It's clearly April Fools. My guess the content happens. The Cost of it does not exist. The joke is the cost <3
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  10. Darkon Well-Known Member

If it's just a move to 4 month 15$ 33% of an expansion's content each patches, that is actually a better system.

More consistency with new content keeps the game exciting rather than simply the same rinse/repeat cycle of farming then an overwhelming release of new content once a year.

With that said upon purchasing AoM I was buying the next years worth of content, so I really do think that this 'Rum Cellar' should be included with our AoM purchase.

Then vise versa to bring players back, you could make the package of AoM+Rum Cellar 30$ total, basically including AoM for an additional 15$ to get more players back into the game and revitalize the community a bit.

After this the next patch would've been around November, when the next major content patch would've been an expansion, I'm fine with paying for that, but I feel the way this was handled should've been announced at the launch of AoM.

Also, the marketing decision to announce this on April 1st is hideous. Please, never do that again.

tl;dr To sell expansion after expansion as 'a year of content' then half way through one of them change the method to '15$ for content updates' doesn't really seem above board. I doubt the people with the power to change this decision will visit these forums, but perhaps it'll get forwarded up the chain.

P.S. In the end though, I've been all access with between 2 and 12 accounts for well over a decade, so whatever the final decision is I'll be buying it. I know not everyone is in a position to do that though, so I hope they rethink this plan.
  11. suka Well-Known Member

Considering that i only have at the most 3 that would even see this campaign, i am really disappointed. first of all it costs. which i am not inclined to buy. on a limited budget, i barely squeeze out the money for two subs and 2 expacs and am considering reducing down to only one sub. if we end up with several "campaigns" we have to pay for every year, then it has become a game i really can't afford to play.

also, why is it that when anything is done to add content to a game, only the end game is focused on? if i choose to keep my toons at lower levels, then why should i bother with something like a "campaign" for only 3 toons? how about doing something for lower levels or make it agnostic for a change?
    Squirtikiss, Belenos, Tylia and 7 others like this.
  12. Wyrvenfire Member

I am with the others and hoping this cash grab announcement is just a joke. Perhaps this company that acquired soe did this in other games but in eq2 it just doesn't work to sell updates directly hooked into expansions that were already payed for.
  13. Terrius Well-Known Member

See I doubt they would go back to doing content this way, they did it before as "Adventure packs" and it wasn't viable, in the end they gave them away to everyone for free.

So I'm going to cross my fingers and anxiously await the "APRIL FOOLS" announcement.
  14. Deveryn Well-Known Member

It definitely seems the smarter way to go about things, spreading out the cost of an expansion and tossing in various goodies, rather than banking on the idea that people will pay 60$ all at once per account so close to Christmas. Less sticker shock is a good thing.
    NickStern, Halanna, Kittybock and 2 others like this.
  15. Lateana Older than Dirt, Playing EQII since 2004

This concept has been tried before, I think as early as 2005, and has failed every time since.
    Quillyne, Belenos, Gaealiege and 3 others like this.
  16. NrthnStar5 Well-Known Member

Adventure Packs 2.0?
  17. Pyrrhi New Member

That was exactly my thought, you're going to try this again? What makes you think the EQ2 ecosystem is going to change and accept this?

I personally don't mind it, but really, the majority of EQ2 did not accept that system.
  18. suka Well-Known Member

and no deveryn, although you make a lot of sense, they didn't say there wouldn't be an expansion. just that they wanted us to buy some "campaigns" throughout the year as additional content. and i may be recalling wrong, but seems there was talk earlier this year about plans for future content of the expansion to be released just like they had released extra content in past expansions. nothing was said before now about expecting payment for the extra content.
    it may be that these are just some fun stuff to make the game more fun and have nothing to do with the actual story line. in which case people like me who don't have much money to spend can safely not worry about it and skip it.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  19. Malleria Well-Known Member

It's an easier way to mask the fact that less content will be delivered now that the team has shrunk. Harder to notice the difference when its delivered piecemeal instead of in the usual yearly format. Keep in mind: this isn't as well as a yearly expansion. The ZAM article specifically says these DLCs are instead of the yearly expansion release.

Also while this campaign is priced at $15 they never said they all will be. In fact the ZAM article specifically stresses this point. So expect the future 'bigger' campaign to come with a 'bigger' price tag.
    Belenos, Losadunai, Gaealiege and 2 others like this.
  20. Calthine Well-Known Member

I am reminded of Adventure Packs, which were $5. Inflation, I suppose.
    Belenos, Karsa, Lateana and 3 others like this.