It's Official - End of EQNext

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Mizgamer62, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

EQN News: A Letter from Daybreak's President

To Our Daybreak Community,
    I’m writing today to let you know that, after much review and consideration, Daybreak is discontinuing development of EverQuest Next.
    For the past 20 years EverQuest has been a labor of love. What started as a deep passion of ours, as game creators, grew into a much larger passion shared by you, millions of players and Daybreakers alike. Watching EverQuest’s ability to entertain and bring people together has inspired and humbled us. It’s shaped our culture and has emboldened us to take aggressive risks with our game ideas and products. When we decided to create the next chapter in the EverQuest journey, we didn’t aim low. We set out to make something revolutionary.
    For those familiar with the internals of game development, you know that cancellations are a reality we must face from time to time. Inherent to the creative process are dreaming big, pushing hard and being brutally honest with where you land. In the case of EverQuest Next, we accomplished incredible feats that astonished industry insiders. Unfortunately, as we put together the pieces, we found that it wasn’t fun. We know you have high standards when it comes to Norrath and we do too. In final review, we had to face the fact that EverQuest Nextwould not meet the expectations we – and all of you – have for the worlds of Norrath.
    The future of the EverQuest franchise as a whole is important to us here at Daybreak.EverQuest in all its forms is near and dear to our hearts. EverQuest and EverQuest II are going strong. Rest assured that our passion to grow the world of EverQuest remains undiminished.
    Yours truly,
    Russell Shanks
    President, Daybreak Games
    EQ_Jack, Pantz and Xillean like this.
  2. Raff Well-Known Member

Never like the character artwork anyway. The entire concept never seemed like a fitting successor to Norrath.
    daicia, Flaxen, GrunEQ and 9 others like this.
  3. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

They could have made a ton, just updating the graphics and game engine, and keeping the root the same instead of trying to be 'groundbreaking' in an MMO.
    Pantz, Jrel, Xillean and 1 other person like this.
  4. NrthnStar5 Well-Known Member

Well there we have it. My hope is that this decision is because the game was going in the wrong direction and did not hold true to the spirit of the franchise. I also hope this doesn't mean we won't ever see a new Everquest game. I think a new Everquest would be wildly successful if it was a) modern, realistic graphics, b) take the best of EQ1 & EQ2, c) seamless dynamic world, and d) sandbox style freedoms.
    suka, Pantz, Siren and 4 others like this.
  5. Enric_of_Neriak Member

Does this mean more resources for EQ II?
    Cuelaen, Flaxen, Nockturnal and 12 others like this.
  6. DevilOcelot New Member

Not surprising. With so many people getting canned when the company got bought up, they have very little resources to work with. On top of that, the company has most of its focus on it's pet project H1Z1 while keeping with the bare minimum on their other games. H1Z1 was supposed to be a free to play game and now they are making it two separate games and charging for both.

I understand a company should strive to make money, but with the way how this whole thing has been handled just shows the company's bottom line is nothing but to make a profit. There's no innovation, they just seem to only now go for the easy money, H1Z1, which is yet another dime a dozen BR/zombie survival game.
    Pantz likes this.
  7. Lara kelly Member

It did look way too cartoony anyway...
    Surgeon, suka, Pantz and 2 others like this.
  8. SandsMans Active Member

I hope some of the dev resources get put back into EQ2.
    GrunEQ, Pantz, Feldon and 5 others like this.
  9. CoffeeHound Member

Well, damn. Even though most of us already realized it was dead, it still hurts to see the official notice.

Thanks for trying guys... I hope no one lost their dream job.
    suka, SierraDawn, Cuelaen and 9 others like this.
  10. HaphazardAllure Well-Known Member

I'm crossing my fingers for this!
    Nockturnal, Pantz, Spindle and 2 others like this.
  11. Xanndarr New Member

yeah to

much like wow
    Pantz, Livejazz and Lara kelly like this.
  12. Venur Active Member

I'm sad since I had big hope for EQN. Both EQ and EQ2 are too outdated for my taste. EQ1 is now more of a solo game when your not at lvl cap with 7k AA and EQ2 made the mistake of creating archetype. We don't even have a 2h DPS class neither a plate DPS. Some Tier 2 archetype just don't bring anything new.

Also lets face it, daybreak doesn't work hard on class balancing and some core issue remain a problems after several years. its just ridiculous that all summoners pet beside the mage ones are broken (or have they finally fixed it ? ).

I've started to play everquest 17 years ago and anjoyed the franchise for over a decade. But several issue in EQ2 just made me stop to play EQ2 as my main MMO and sadly the market is just boring now I'd say.
    Pantz and Meneltel like this.
  13. Venur Active Member

You can say its too cartoony for you buts its like miles away of WoW. I'd say its closer to EQ2 elves then any WoW toon
    Pantz likes this.
  14. Xillean Well-Known Member

I really hope that means eq1 and eq2 will be getting some more resource lovin soon then!
    Cuelaen, Pantz and HaphazardAllure like this.
  15. Berserkerkitten Well-Known Member

I don't wanna say I told you so, but that's a lie and I totally freaking told you so again and again and again and THANK FKN GOD! Now how about putting some more resources back into EQ/EQ2? :p
    Hope they're not gonna do something stupid. "Don't worry, this franchise you love so much is still going strong" is usually the last thing you hear before they shut it down.
    Pantz, Meneltel, Livejazz and 2 others like this.
  16. Carni Active Member

I never cared for the look anyways, it would have not seemed like a continuation of Norrath at all. My question is, will Landmark get a big push and proper resources delegated, or is this upcoming launch simply to avoid issuing refunds?
    Pantz, Venur and Berserkerkitten like this.
  17. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

Below is a portion of the information from Feldon's site EQ2Wire that was posted today. Go there for more information on this topic.

Meanwhile, Landmark will officially launch as a live game in Spring 2016 according to EverQuest,EverQuest II, and now Landmark Executive Producer Holly “Windstalker” Longdale on the Landmark forums:
    To Our Loyal Landmark Community,
    You read the title right: Landmark is LAUNCHING this spring and I’m thrilled to be on this adventure with you!
    SierraDawn and Pantz like this.
  18. Maldek Active Member

R.I.P.

I still hope for an EQ3 but like others are saying, not "groundbreaking" but instead a return to form: an immersive MMO world with a balanced game engine updated for modern computers that would be written more efficiently so as to deliver less lag and better graphics. The lore of Norrath is already there and will continue to engage players in quests, crafting, groups, and raids. The only thing it needs is a facelift and a little bit of marketing to revitalize the franchise.
    suka, Pantz, Prissetta and 3 others like this.
  19. Rainmare Well-Known Member

except I doubt we're going to get 'more resources'. they probably just shifted them to Landmark. bleh.
    Pantz and Berserkerkitten like this.
  20. UBiLL Member

I like the ¨ It wasn't fun ¨ reason to kill a game.
    Wirewhisker, Pantz and Meneltel like this.