items to increase spell range?

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Fuggs, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Fuggs New Member

Hi yall,

I raid with my illy, and with some of the ranged fights we are doing now I'm told to stand so far back I can only use about 5 spells. This is hardly effective for an illy. What items can I get to increase my spell casting range to something more acceptable?

any help is appreciated,
  2. Lacksmelanin Member

having a troub in the group will give you 5 meters extra, other than that I don't know of anything
  3. Kalderon Well-Known Member

Don´t know the name, but there is a advanced rune which drops in CoE, which gives you hum.... 10% increase. But does drop pretty rarely.
  4. Healface Active Member

5. Daray Well-Known Member

Imo, your problem isn't with needing a means to extend your range, but with what you are being told ...

If you are talking about AE damage, most of them increment in 3 tiers based on range, usually as follows (there are rare exceptions):
    • 0-10m (or 0-9m)
    • 10-15m (or 9-14m)
    • 15+ (or 14+)
    • Red joust emotes usually require only 15+ (but a rare few need 20+)
    I guess the whole argument is very gear dependent, but as an appropriately speced chanter your ideal operating range will want to be within 10m of the mob (at the rear) - in other words within melee/CA range assuming you are speced down the STR line.

Assuming you want (which you should) to operate within 10m most of the time, your options generally are:
    • Always time the AEs with ACT.
    • If you can easily manage the highest rear-tier of damage, then you don't really need to worry about it.
    • If you can't then you can AE-Avoid if the AE is in fact avoidable (quite a few aren't) - Self-Sever hate with the AE Avoid enhancement, or use of war runes / clickies.
    • Or just take a step or few back when the AE is incoming, then go back in after it hits (for many AEs, just taking one step back into the 10-15m tier might reduce the damage sufficiently, or you can go back to the 15+ tier).
    • And make sure your healers have learnt to cure before stuff ticks.
    Either way you decide to go with this, it is pointless standing at 50m, if 15+ will do.
  6. Fuggs New Member

thanks for the responses folks. ill try to move in a bit and see if i can handle the teir 3 or 2 ae hit. maybe shoot for that item out of Miraguls too.