Item Drop Rates

Discussion in 'Items and Equipment' started by Neiloch, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Uncle Active Member

one for one would still work cause i knwo and this is just an example.. we farming Hm oligar for a long time and we havent seen a set of shaman shoulders in weeks yeah our scout mains and scout alts have them so a vendor would be benifical for that reason alone.
  2. Lempo Well-Known Member

Not a bad idea of course several is a pretty loosely defined word, I think that more than 2 would be a bit over the top and beyond 3 just horrible. So you wait until all mains that need said item to get it, then how do you prioritze the rest of them, main alts, raid alts, new recruits to replace the mains lost by the normal attrition. You are right this has the potential to cause drama, it does mitigate the angst of wating, but in all honesty if you have to trade 'several' items from a regular loot table to get that elusive *same strength diff class item* item it is a pretty bad mechanic, better than what we have now I guess, but still the same.
    I'm not talking about extremely rare mythical/etheral items, I'm talking about same stat items, i.e. a brawler throwing weapon vs a scout bow.

If armor patterns are going to be brought back why not something similar with weapons and jewelry, a fighter/scout or mage/priest or melee/ranged item box that has the mechanics of the pattern boxes already coded in the game, just assign them the appropriate items and allow the players to choose. This seems like it would be less work, and be far more efficient. I understand that there is a need to 'extend' the life of the content to keep players engaged, but heroic zones can be reset and ran every 90 minutes there is no compare to getting the item you so desire from them. raid zone timers could also be reduced but that probably isn't gonna happen.
  3. Lempo Well-Known Member

5 for 1 would not be very good when you have multiple people chasing an elusive item. The item should first go to a main that will equip and use it, then the raid force's loot rules would have to define what happens with the items that have to be stockpiled to get what you want in trade for them.
  4. slippery Well-Known Member

Being as I generally do loot and dkp in a common sense sort of fashion, I see 0 problems with this. We never had any problems with runes either, as people generally valued the gear over the rune (as they should imo). In a system like this I'd just wait until all members/apps/needed alts had the piece of gear then bid off the right to pick up unused pieces to trade in. Seems like it would work to me.

I'm guessing it would be like sell the pieces of gear to a merchant for a token, buy from a merchant standing next to him with those tokens? (Somewhat like armor in TSO with WoE and stuff)

3-4 pieces sounds right to me, but you could do it on a mob by mob basis depending on how many items he dropped and stuff like that. Ideally it would be in the 2.5-3.5 kills worth of loot range, and each mob would be different. You could even exclude certain items, or do different slots on the mobs table differently (like when a mob drops 2 items from this table and 1 item from that table).
  5. Neiloch Well-Known Member

Turning items for others could work at a 2 to 1 ratio but beyond that I could definitely see it causing drama even with a well established system in place. If guilds put priority at the 'bottom' like just before Alts/friends etc it can still be a ridiculously long time before someone gets that item they want with how the RNG likes to work, it just upgrades from 'possibly never' to 'eventually.'

If it is put up higher such as second only to people needing the actual item its going to put a large gate before people can start getting items for alts which I find is a good portion of why some people keep raiding long term. I don't mess with alts much but just trying to exercise some sympathy here.

I would certainly prefer any system that might help over no system, including this one.

Ideally I would prefer some sort of token system. Something like each encounter dropping its own kind of token and every raid member getting one would seem much less problematic. I totally lifted this from EQ1, works pretty well on there as their solution to raiders not getting what they want in a reasonable time frame.
  6. Hammdaddy Active Member

Just go back to patterns the way they were in DoV, hard mode mobs would drop three forearms each being archetype based, we get basically no healer gear but have atleast 30 tanks alts fully geared yet mains aren't.
  7. Twyxx Well-Known Member

This system should work, but yeah, if the number of items to turn in is too many there could be drama with people who really like gearing their alts. Though it really shouldn't take that long to get all your mains set up. It took us 32 kills to get a hullpiercer from pk. I think the rest of the mains had their weaps in less than half that time. With this system the last person would've been covered by the 18thish kill at latest.

On avatars it probably would've gotten us one more scout helm (if the turn-in number is around 4). Not sure it works as well with really rare items like that.
  8. Hammdaddy Active Member

We have gotten six scout hats so far, yet not a single cleric/shaman hat?
  9. Ranga Active Member

Just like CoE essences then? That would work but there would need to be better than the essence chance which for me has been 1 HE essence in like 9 months :(
  10. Ranga Active Member

Any improvement is welcome but to go to these lengths when you could simply code the streakiness out of the RNG function seems particularly odd and cumbersome way of doing things that would net the same result i.e. fairer distribution across all loot tables across all servers.
  11. Kinya Active Member

Exactly, EQ1 system looks nice imo: http://rof.eqresource.com/raidvendor.php
  12. Neiloch Well-Known Member

Well I am referring to something more like obols or spirits, 100% drop rate and the same amount for each person in the raid.
    Yes I am super jealous of EQ1 in this regard tbh. My brother keeps bragging about it ever since he caught wind of EQ2's terrible RNG system, he raids on EQ1. We really don't have clear 'tiers' right now so I figured it would have to be encounter based. Then again I'm not sure what they have planned for the xpac, they might have a much clearer progression in mob difficulty so tokens by tier could work.

The overall idea is that the token system itself is clearly a slower way to get the loot instead of just looting it when (and if) it drops. I assume this is what Xelgad is going for with the item turn in as well by requiring multiple items to get 1 item. They could merge the two ideas also. You get dropped tokens along with being able to turn in items for tokens, with items having a much bigger return obviously.

I would definitely welcome just a item trade in system like Xelgad laid out, it just seems like there could be less problematic ways to accomplish the same goal. I imagine they have some sort of aversion to a token system or else they would have just used that I'm just not sure what it is.