It is EverQuest or EverRaid?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Sclerotia, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Elostirion Well-Known Member

Hi.

The whole genre has been one of progressing you from solo to grouping you with larger and larger numbers of people. It's kinda what the genre is about. From random cooperation to groups to guilds to raid guilds. It isnt new.

You dont have to follow the whole progression to have fun, but the progression is there. The hardest stuff takes lots of friends working together.

As far as the place of questing... that's been down to the opinion of each successive Dev team.
  2. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

Most of the end-game raiders I know can't even stand the other people in their guild. You just need a bunch of people of like mind who have a common goal. You don't have to actually be Friends.
    Kraeref and Guiscard like this.
  3. Le Clown Active Member

PoFear PoSky PoHate were present in '99 w/o xpacs broseph (also closely linked were epic quest weapons!). And no there wasn't 'massive amounts' of quests but I think the name stems from the goal oriented nature of the game. i.e. 'hey lets go KS Ambassador D'Vinn and tbag his bodyguard' or 'Let's go train oasis of marr docks", neither had a shiny update book or NPC's with dangling golden symbols but would be pursued with full capacitance for maximum lulz.

PersonalQuest i guess is more accurate to some of us who've played this long but that just sounds ****; Everquest also encompasses any.

tl;dr - Everquest has always been end game=raiding. If you're pine for questing so damn much I highly doubt you've completed all the NPC given quests within the game. (Has anyone?)
  4. Estred Well-Known Member

Every expansion has had a new team really on some level of development. It may be why every new expansion even old-raid boss scripts are broken or why there seem to be vast amounts of content missing. CoE to me as a raid/quester/grouper/crafter feels like more Chains of Soloternity. I feel the Solo quest line was well developed and yes while Wurmbones is very hard to solo it can be ran with one friend.

I feel that the EM content is beyond easy in fact, more than 50% of registered guilds have cleared all of EM content. The stipulation on that is because it was bugged for months I do not count Drinal in that statistic. Heroic feels weak because Solo drops almost if not better gear. As Elostirion pointed out the game has been about progressing from Solo to Raid which I feel CoE is breaking stride from too much. Solo content is great but, I think it's getting in the way currently.
  5. Elostirion Well-Known Member

That is pathetic.

If one doesnt enjoy the people one spends one's play time with, then it isnt play time and one really needs to resort one's priorities.

I have done end-game raiding in 3 guilds now. Two of them were full of very pleasant, personable people. The other one I quit.
  6. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

It's EverWhateverthehellyouwantittobe.
  7. Atan Well-Known Member

If its what they enjoy, I will not berate them for it.

I know its not what I enjoy, and as such my 'hardcore' raidforce will never compete at 'that' level, cause I choose to have a know ***** policy ;)
  8. slippery Well-Known Member

Your view is pathetic. Just because you don't like someone doesn't mean you can't work together. If you just avoided everyone you didn't like you'd have to stay locked in a hole. You'd never be able to hang out with friends because surely they have friends who you won't like.

There are lots of people in life you might not like. That just means you don't interact with them. Some people can in fact not like someone and still be civil.
  9. Lempo Well-Known Member

That is because (all in an appeasement effort towards the large portion of the playerbase that lackes whatever it is desire, mental capacity etc to learn their class and other classes to the point where they can best interact with them) they have made almost every raid mob in the game so ridiculously easy. The more raiders there are the bigger the pool is for raid guilds to recruit from, but the last 2 expansions raid content has been the most pathetic excuse for anything that was designed to be even remotely challenging.

It wasn't fun clearing 90+% of the content minutes (meaning under an hour or two) after zoning in and the avatars are pathetically easy as well.

The content being cleared by the percentages of the guilds that have cleared it (in such a short amount of time) is very bad for the game, it causes people to get bored and quit because of burnout. When you say 'prograss at a steady rate' do you mean clearing the zone through the last named before your timer expires? Because that is what even the most casuals can do now if they can find 4-6 hours in a week then any EM raid content can be cleared by them.
  10. Seliri Well-Known Member

i think we're hoping that EverQuest Next (EQ3) will have the budget to produce some intricate, thorough, & competitive questing with competent offerings
  11. Salavar Active Member

Good luck with that!
    Wirewhisker, Seliri and Kraeref like this.
  12. Elostirion Well-Known Member

You just said it. That's what you have to do at work. That's what you have to do in civil life, get along with people who you dont like.

But that's a really sad way to spend your playtime. And that's what pathetic means. It inspires sadness and especially pity. If you have to spend your play time with people you cant stand, then I have pity for you.
  13. Kalderon Well-Known Member

There are (at least) 23 other players in a normal raid, if i do not like one (!) there still 22 i do like or like beeing around with them.
    Not a great deal i think, if you don´t like 1 out of 23 :) (Well, i like all my raiding fellows.... more or less ^^ )
  14. Elostirion Well-Known Member

That would be within the "normal", I think. This tangent was begun by someone saying 'most' raiders they knew couldn't stand their fellow raiders. Not one, not some, but more in the range of most or all.
  15. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

If they get what they want and enjoy their game time, who are you to offer them pity?
  16. Elostirion Well-Known Member

I'm gonna let you think about this word for a bit and get back to me.
  17. Kraeref Well-Known Member

Why we always are sidetracked to talk about raiders vs othres. It's getting old and boring and I am guilty of engaging in such discussions too.
    We just have to answer the question OP asked. Yes, friend, there are plenty of quest to keep you busy up to 90 lvl and beyond. No worries.
  18. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

Yes, enjoy. Just because someone is playing besides some people he doesn't like doesn't necessarily make the game itself any less enjoyable for them personally. When someone is playing the way he wants and achieving the goals he sets for himself in terms of his gameplay then yes, he's obviously enjoying the game.
  19. Seliri Well-Known Member

20. Atan Well-Known Member

Some people enjoy results more than the playtime. For them they really don't care who they share their game time with.

Its not for me, but there is a niche of gamers that are result driven more than all else.

I don't berate them for it, nor do I pity them, but I do know, its not the way I want to spend my game time.