It is EverQuest or EverRaid?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Sclerotia, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Sclerotia Member

Seems everything is gearing towards raids, Is questing dead?

Sorry, I am new and still working on my quests and loving it but it seems like i hear a lot of people saying "Oh, it is in xxx raid", or "Get a raid group together and you can get XXX", or "The best gear is Raid gear", etc, etc, etc

So much so it seems people are PL'ing just so they can raid.

I guess I can only hope that there will be good quests when I get to level 90+
    Guiscard likes this.
  2. Skwor Active Member

As you, yourself state you are new. Why so bitter all the sudden? Yes EQ2 has raiding, yes raiding is how you get the best gear, what else would you expect?

That does not mean you can't get good gear for the content you are playing in. Raid gear is only needed for raids, period. There is plenty of quality gear in quests, instances, crafting and experimenting to fill your needs. Don't fall into the "OMG why can't I have the l33t gear like all the raiders" crowd. Learn the game, enjoy it and ease up on the envy and worries.

I did all the CoE advanced solo content and finished the quest-line on 3 different toons with common master-crafted gear ( not the high end legendary or fabled master-crafted just the common stuff).
    Terein likes this.
  3. Malleria Well-Known Member

Can you put any of these comments in context? Find it hard to believe anyone would say those kinds of things responding to a toon in their 70s. If they're comments you overheard between max level players you're probably taking them out of context.
  4. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

Raiders are usually a way more verbal lot than the rest of the population, as well. It only seems like that's what everyone aspires to, but it's not.
    Guiscard likes this.
  5. Regolas Well-Known Member

I don't think the OP is bitter, just asking a question. Maybe you (Skwor) are reading it while being defensive.

To the OP, you have to remember this game is 8 years old, so it's top heavy with people playing at max level. A large part of the game (but not the only part) at max level is killing the biggest, baddest things you can for the best loot in the game.

Generally raiding is at max level and each level cap makes older raids obsolete as you can get better gear from the new level group baddies than you could from the old tier raids, and it's easier to organise 5 others for a group than 23 others for a raid.

I'm glad you're enjoying your questing, it is interesting at least the first time round. The name Everquest is a bit misleading. Its an adventure game. A quest doesn't have to be some instructions that go in your quest journal. Just going exploring for new items and treasure throughout Norrath is your quests, hence the name (imo).
    Kraeref likes this.
  6. Sclerotia Member

Not Bitter, just wondering why everything now seems to be raid related.

I have also noticed that a lot of people talk about the raid content and complain about the lack of quests with the newest Expansion. So, The question is still valid. If they will be gearing it to raiding from now on then maybe I should be thinking about how to best play my character in a raid group or find something else to play.

Personally I love the quests and story lines, I hope it does not peter out as I level higher.
    Guiscard likes this.
  7. Archaical Active Member

The raiding is much more accessable to a larger portion of the playerbase now. You can play ultra casual and still progress at a steady rate through the normal mode stuff. That is why it such a big deal recently. The latest expansion opened up raiding steadily to more people. The hardcore freaks are very upset about it, and they are very, very loud.
    Guiscard likes this.
  8. Jacck Active Member

Omg, stop coming into every thread to derail it.
  9. Cisteros Active Member

Not to sound flippant, but it's Everquest to some, EverRaid to others, and many other "Evers" to many other people.

Before level 80, any of the major expansion Storyline quests that did require raiding at the end for the untimate reward all had intermediate rewards along the way for people who only play solo, and another stage of rewards for those who did the quests through the group stages. I can't really think of any other quests that required raids to finish.

At level 80, when Kunark released, you had a long Class epic weapon questline that was solo/group to get your fabled epic, and required raids to get the upgraded Mythical epic. Two expaansions and a level cap raise from 80 to 90 later, the Epic Repercussions questline was added, a solo/group questline that allowed people who had done the Fabled epic quest to get all the Mythical upgrades as spells. Today, while the option to go back and do the Kunark raids and get your Mythical weapon is still there, the new ER quest means that no raids are required now.

Personally, I found your current level to be rather tedious for questing. Moors of Ykesha quests from The Shadow Oddessy was a PITA due to topography and so much travel. The Sentinel's Fate quests were even worse. Extremely linear, having to complete earlier ones before later ones become available and even worse with the running back and forth (This time from multiple questgivers who's progression doesn't allow you to sync up and do all your tasks in one trip)

I found the Destiny of Velious series to be much less annoying and more engaging. Maybe it was fond nostalgia from EQ1. Maybe Othmir are just more fun to work for than aloof Erudites. You can start DoV quests at level 85 if I remember right.
  10. Arieste Well-Known Member

EQ2 has 6000+ quests. If you enjoy questing, there is lots of it out there.

EQ2 is over 8 years old, the vast majority of the population has now done those quests - probably multiple times - so at this point, existing players likely don't want to do them again, so they prefer to PL and get to doing end-game content.

Unfortunately, as of this expac, SOE for some reason decided not to have any heroic or epic quests, which used to make a large chunk of latter-game content.
  11. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

End game content is often released bare bones and then quests and other things added to it ::coughlootcough::: later on. It makes them look like they are adding content, when it really was the stuff that should have been there in the first place.

CoE might have more quests later on. I'd get to that level then worry about it, tbh. There's plenty of content and quests to do prior to the very end. If you start a new game then race to get max level with no history or knowledge of how the game went before, you have to take what you get, I suppose.
    Guiscard likes this.
  12. Moldylocks Member

Yeah, this is my take on it as well. History has shown that content is added to xpacs gradually after release, until it becomes decently fleshed out. For myself, I haven't gotten CoE simply for this reason, and I've parked my highest toon to work on some other characters for the next while. Additionally, I'm waiting for the economy to mellow. Right now, its all new and shiny and the prices for all the new gear, spells, etc is highly inflated. Once the waves die down, I'll dive in.
    Guiscard likes this.
  13. Mohee Active Member

EverQuest, EverRaid, EverCraft, EverDecorate, EverSolo, EverFarm, EverChat, EverExplore, EverHarvest, EverGroup, EverAFK... The game is what you make of it :) there's so many options available. Pick what is most fun to you, and enjoy the GAME. Some people tend to forget its a game, you have choices, no one makes you do anything. Tired of the way things are in a certain area of the game? Find something else to do, or maybe try out another game.
  14. Le Clown Active Member

OP spelled EverCrack funny
    Chronus likes this.
  15. Payton Active Member

Raiding is actually pretty simple. The only people who need a brain are the tanks, maybe the healers (to cure properly). The rest needs about IQ 70. If you join a guild and raid once or twice a week you can get all the gear you want.

People who boast "only raiders need raid gear" are of course wrong. It's quite useful if you're excited about soloing or duoing lv80 raid content or current heroic zones.

Since the OP asked about "is this still EverQUES?" - OF COURSE IT IS - it has more quest than you can complete in years, it's all up to you if you like to do them despite they don't reward you with great gear or not. They are still fun and many are exciting to do. At least the housing rewards are still useful.
    Guiscard likes this.
  16. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Now, why would you be badmouthing raiders except that you are envious? A lot of raiders are also crafters, we do interior decorating, I quest extensively. Now, it's true, I only raid three times a week.

But cut other players some slack. There are many playstyles in the game. Some people are all into simply exploring. Some want to complete every possible quest. There are people who are just tradeskillers. Some people enjoy grouping, while others prefer solo. And some people only want to raid.

The beauty of EverQuest is that it supports ALL these playstyles, in whatever proportions you want. Play the game you like, the raiders are not hindering your questing.
  17. Kalderon Well-Known Member

I prefer EverQuestRaider ^^ I do love questing (long time ago i used to do almost every quest that came out at everquest2, long time ago).
    I lilke grouping, well, don´t like the loot, but thats great for the others in group ( i guess ^^)
  18. Atan Well-Known Member

Raiding is more social than any other playstyle, as such it offers more reward to the player as they repeat that content.

The result is, raiders treadmill longer in the game than other players, and their retention times are significantly longer than say an unguilded solo player.
  19. Salty21db Active Member

Why do people take a name so literally?

Could you please explain to me where in the original EverQUEST were all these massive amounts of quests such as we have today? I'm pretty certain expansions like PoP were ALL about raiding. Same goes for EQ2. Even with all these quests as the new MMO genre all put in, when did we not have raids?

New or not you may not want to read into just a name and expect something like that without doing research. Be like me going to Wendy's and wondering why I wasn't being served by a red headed girl named Wendy.
    Atan likes this.
  20. Payton Active Member

I am not badmouthing anything, just stating facts. You don't need a higher IQ than 70 to follow 3 simple orders (the usual boss script), in fact it may help.
    Guiscard likes this.