ISO New Gaming Laptop

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Almee, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Almee Well-Known Member

At long last it is time to invest in a new gaming laptop but I've been out of the computer business for so long I have no idea which mid-price laptop would be best. I've been buying Asus ROG laptops and they have worked out really well despite lots of trauma from careless people dropping them.

My current one is 7 years old, and working fine, but realistically that isn't going to last so I want to be prepared for the day when my current computer goes belly up.

I can currently run 3 accounts with little lag and 6 accounts with some lag. I want to be able to at least do this with any new laptop. I'm thinking this computer might be a good choice but perhaps there is a less expensive one that would do the same thing. Any laptop I get needs to be super hardy as my occasional assistants have little regard for electronic equipment and have sent many a unit to an early grave.
    Asus ROG Zephyrus 15 2021 Premium Gaming Laptop I 15.6" FHD 144Hz IPS I AMD 4-Core Ryzen 7 3750H(> i7-8750H) I 16GB DDR4 1TB SSD I GTX 1660 Ti MAX-Q 6GB Backlit KB Win 10 + Delca 32GB Micro SD Card

Soara2 and Ra'Gruzgob like this.
  2. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Make sure your Asus, and most acer, laptop can be upgraded if you need to.

My acer desktop is actually a laptop motherboard in a small form factor desktop case. Can only add ram to it. The 90 watt adapter is too weak to handle a video card, although there is a slot for it. No internal power supply.
    Soara2, Ra'Gruzgob and Almee like this.
  3. Siren Well-Known Member

You go girl! :D

I have a Lenovo Legion but it's a couple years old so its model # would do you no good. It's solid as a rock and still runs great, though; no issues for me at all running EQ2 or anything else. It only has an nVidia 1060 6GB video card in it, and 16GB DDR-4, Win 10.

I had a $1,400 Asus Republic of Gamers laptop about 6 years ago and truthfully, it blue screened from the day I got it. Ran like crap. Returned it twice under warranty for "fixes," which never changed a thing. The hard drive completely died twice. I finally got rid of it. The Lenovo is way better, much more stable.

Oh, I've always used both of them at the same gaming desk, plugged in, with a gigantic brownout protection/battery backup surge protector thing that cost me about $120, so neither of them got taken out on the road, banged around or hit by electrical surges. That Asus was just never right.

A couple years ago when I got my Lenovo Legion, I had googled quality levels on the major brands of laptops, and Asus even then was in the lower middle. Even Acer and HP were a little higher up on the quality list than Asus. That surprised me because I used their motherboards whenever I built my own gaming PC towers for a couple decades without problems. I had thought my Asus ROG laptop was just a lemon, but they really don't stack up too well in general.

Google the brands again (and models you're looking at) of course, and read the current reviews, though. But look for somebody who's owned the Asus for a while and not just for a couple months.
    Soara2, Ra'Gruzgob and Almee like this.
  4. Melt Actually plays the game

I use an Acer Predator Helios laptop, can run up to 6 toons (boxing old raids for fun lol) fine, not incredibly well but that's just how laptops are honestly. My Acer is the same specs as your Lenovo.
  5. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

i heard there was flood in thailand - maybe your disk was flooded with water and then they dried it and inserted it on when assembling laptop? after all in any case you didn't check for new firmware with fixes for your disk after its first death? some hard drives in those years were already released defective and sold them nevertheless, and it was required to update firmware after purchase in order to fix them..
    in warranty service, they might not fix it, including because they might hesitate to flash motherboard of your laptop (and hard drive) because this is conjugated with risks of damaging device and then they themselves would have to pay to you. but for asus gaming series, new firmwares are still required, especially in terms of correct work with disks (can easily see this by looking at site and reviewing list of fixes). this is because rog devices and boards are released hastily and sometimes it takes even months or years for firmware to appear with fix..
    so you are perhaps right and i was wrong about pointing out rog as relatively reliable. it because i have two rog motherboards (2nd and 5th formula) and so far there have been no problems with them (problem with 2-formula disappeared by itself after end of xp support, so they didn't to fix it). and i think that they will last for several more years and even for many years, retaining its relevance despite fact that many years have passed since their release..
    and lenovo is same legacy of ibm, with difference that american engineers and workers were replaced by residents of china.. reminds of story with one game known to all of us in one of variants of future, which, having changed its name, will still retain its attractiveness to play.
    by way my asus laptop (that is all laptops of same model/series) turned out to be with firmware defect (there was problem with bootloader) and fix appeared many months later. after firmware everything worked like japanese clock..
    Soara2, Almee and Geroblue like this.
  6. Almee Well-Known Member

I don't believe I've ever had a problem with an Asus computer that didn't come from abuse. Mine have always run well even though they are rarely top of the line models. I've been using them since the 1990's and any problems have been from surges that fried the surge protectors or assistants and kids seriously mishandling the computer such as spilling soda on it or dropping it onto concrete flooring. But even those insults haven't bothered the ones I bought since 2012. As far as I know, most of the ones I've passed on to other people are still being used. The one I'm using is over 7 years old and has been on 24/7 for that time. But I understand Lenovo is also making pretty solid laptops so I wasn't sure which brand was making the best mid-range gaming laptops as reviewers seem to be as biased as I am lol.
    Soara2 and Siren like this.
  7. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Note that Lenovo used to repair Hewlitt-Packard computers, and then bought out that line some years ago.
    Soara2 and Almee like this.
  8. Fleshdecay Well-Known Member

I don't have any specific laptops to link but I definitely recommend taking a look at the MSI brand.
  9. Treggar Active Member

The ROG Zephyrus is a great laptop and will handle the game fine. Only issue with it is that it'll get hot because there's a lot of power in such a small form factor. If you don't play with it on your lap it'll be fine.
    I bought my wife the Zephyrus G14 a couple of months ago and she plays all kinds of games on it - EQ2, TESO, Fallout 76.
  10. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

Soara2 likes this.