Isle of Refuge - Server population

Discussion in 'Zones and Populations' started by Dockter, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Dockter Well-Known Member

Hello,

Was curious if Daybreak has a plan to address the low population numbers on the Isle of Refuge server. I usually play in the evenings and I can't recount a time recently where I've done a /who all on this server and seen more than 80 players online at any given time.

Thank you,
  2. Silkmyst Active Member

I have an IOR account, and I like it quiet. Willing to pay for the privilege. I'd hate to merge and lose all my char
    names too (which I know are used a lot as I tried to obtain them on several other servers). Also I like the low lag.
    Enough people around and all seem very nice. I understand how you feel for sure, not here to argue, just present
    my point of view.
    Prissetta likes this.
  3. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

Considering they've lowered the price to transfer to IoR to 500 dbc (last I checked) and loosened the transfer-off restrictions, its really hard to say what can be done to entice more people to play on that server.
    I mean, the last time a perk was added to IoR it seemed people came out of the woodwork with pitchforks, fire and brimstone condemning the new benefit.

It made me curious, so I did a little digging:
    265 guilds on Isle of Refuge
    410 on Fallen Gate
    9344 on Antonia Bayle - which may include F2P accounts / Silver accounts
    13642 on Maj'Dul - F2P / Silver

Does more guilds = more players? Maybe. I know that Beta testing and that specialty server really didn't help matters much...

One of the things I have noticed though: despite being labeled and advertised as a "free trade" server - there sure is a LOT of items that really aren't able to be traded... or even marked heirloom to trade to an alt. PG adorns, Some purple adorns, mounts, certain gear..some crafted spells....
    Its a bit disheartening to loot a familiar or some item, and its marked no-trade. So illogical.

Perhaps if the server truly was a free-trade server, that might help retain and attract more people...
  4. Dockter Well-Known Member

I was unaware that the transfer to IoF was reduced nor was I aware that you could now transfer off of it.

Thank you for this new information. I haven't played in a while.
  5. Steelviper Active Member

After a transfer you got to wait 30 days to be able to transfer off Isle of Refuge again, no amnestly given. So while the transfer is loosened, it's still basically (for people on other servers) a server where you can buy stuff which you can't buy anywhere else, and that is if you have the DBC for transfer tokens, and enough plat / Kronos.
    And which probably should have been available on all other servers long time ago already, seeing as broker is mostly a useless feature now with all the Heirloom / No-Trade items.

You might have forgotten a server or two there. Halls of Fate should be at least just as populated as Maj'Dul atm. I think, if not more.
  6. Kittybock Well-Known Member

Thought I'd take a moment and necro this old thread: Are there any plans to merge Isle of Refuge?

• I believe a merge w/ AB would help both servers.
    • Perhaps folks that took a break from the game due to low server pop might return if there were a merge?
      • I log on sporadically these days, but the highest I've seen on in AM's was 49...for the entire server. I've seen it drop into the mid 20's.
    Thoughts??

Kitty
  7. Yado Active Member

IoR and AB have different rule sets so I doubt they will merge any server with IoR. IoR is special because you can buy sell or trade most everything you can get in game.
  8. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

I've got 10 characters stranded on Isle of Refuge now.

When I run out of Epic 2.0 quests and the new TS timelines to do - then I'll just pack it in.

For me, after supporting this server with krono purchases and transfers to, as well as subscribing - the 2500 dbc to move my character(s) from a failed server model, to a higher population server feels more like a penalty.

For as long as there are players willing to utilize / manipulate the IoR server as it currently is - I can't see a future where they'd merge this cash cow with another, unless they bring the entire server rule-set with it.
    Raff, Kittybock and Rosyposy like this.
  9. Kittybock Well-Known Member

To clarify, I'd meant merge them and revert to AB ruleset. Similar was done when they merged one of the time-locked servers.

As Zed stated, lots of folks have toons "stranded" on the Isle. They don't want to have to pay the price--per toon--to ship them back to the mainland, so they took a break.

As an aside--I really enjoyed the ruleset on IoR, and wish it were gamewide ;)
    Cyrrena likes this.
  10. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

/agree
    Cyrrena and Kittybock like this.
  11. Kittybock Well-Known Member

Since they've announced a Merge for Stormhold into AB server, how many would be interested in seeing the same for IoR to AB? We have multiple guildies that have stepped away, some for other games, others due to low server pop. A merge might bring folks back.

Per an earlier concern in this thread on rule sets: Like Isle of Refuge, Stormhold was also a different rule set than AB. Once they merge with AB, the Live rules will apply. I find that doable.

Thoughts?
  12. Kittybock Well-Known Member

Good morning, Norrath.

Thought I'd necro this thread. I logged in on the Isle this AM and there are 45 players on the entire server. The other morning there were only 10 at one point, which increased to 19. I really wish they'd review merging this server with AB or whatnot.
  13. Dilon Active Member

The issue is that IoR is the only free trade server and it's critical to their business model - players can go there, buy things they can't buy on other servers (for bought and sold krono, of course), then pay to transfer off.

So to me the only way they close IoR is if all servers become free-trade to some degree. The population is definitely low but there are at least two guilds that raid current content, and they are incentivized to stay - in part because they stuff they can sell allows them to buy krono which then allows them to maintain a subscription at no monetary cost. So it works for a small subset of the the gaming population but for everyone else it is preferable to stay on a traditional server.
    Rosyposy likes this.
  14. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I mentioned in another thread on this issue that if it is what is best for the game and the servers involved, I would not protest a merge of IoR into AB. Why not simply do the merge and keep the best features from IoR and add them to AB? We know they can make features not available to FtP players, so they would not need to change AB to sub only to include the best features from IoR.
    Meneltel, Kittybock and Rosyposy like this.
  15. ConcealFate Well-Known Member

Ior isn't going to be merged into any server. Previous comments hit the nail on the head when they said it was still a cash cow as far as krono and transfer tokens are concerned.

Also, you could merge stormhold, AB and Isle of refuge and your still not going to be near the population of any of the other live or FG servers. If AB goes anywhere it would have to be into another live. It's currently dead so why not?
  16. ConcealFate Well-Known Member

I think every person into crafting and home show stuff on AB has their own personal guild hall that they use to decorate. If it was possible to see how many guilds had however many separate accounts and not just 1 account with 85 alts, would be a better indicator
  17. Dude Well-Known Member

AB is not dead. In fact, I moved there from Skyfire because the population is more active on AB.
    Meneltel and Breanna like this.
  18. Kittybock Well-Known Member

Valid suggestion! I actually love the ruleset on IoR and would like to see it implemented on AB or game-wide.

Per the comments from others on it being a cash cow for DB, I've paid most of my last year with kronos. I used to spend quite a bit, when playing actively. Sadly, I know there is no way any of our close group of friends will pony up the DBC to move all their toons back to an active server. Many in our guild have simply let their accounts drop--including some that had multiple accts--so does the amount generated from transfers to/ from the server offset the loss in subs?

Just throwing out ideas here.
    Rosyposy likes this.
  19. Raff Well-Known Member

Back to EQ2. Bought the new expac after long hiatus into other games. Jeez...server pop has gotten truly sad. Bit the bullet and moved a couple of alts back to AB. Am enjoying the active chatter.

I still have 8 alts on IoR. But I'm not spending $200 to move them all. Has anything else been said about merging IoR into AB?
  20. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

The key on IoR is joining an active guild. IoR just doesn't do PUGs.