Isle of Refuge (Free Trade) Server Coming June 28

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Dexella, Jun 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hekktor_AB New Member

Does anyone know how many paid subscribers we have these days? I want to dive back in, but I'm worried about the game being around long term. This new server just feels just like a last ditch effort to make profit having the krono buyers just paying real money for gear on the broker without the inconvenience of having to zone in to a raid zone....just not seeing the point. The primo gear will cost insane amounts...anyone need a new 6 sec delay weapon....just 2 million plat or 35 kronos!!! Even all the loyalty plat will dry up after you snag that first krono....redeem it and get a free month of eq2??? What do all these gear sellers think will happen if this thing sunsets....DBG doesn't send you a plat refund....love the game but it just seems like its been cheapened and watered down so much. Not sure I'll make it to my 12 year anniversary....convince me I'm wrong please!
    SierraDawn and Ishuna like this.
  2. Kurei Hitaka Well-Known Member

Isn't he the guy that flew off the handle just because PvP servers got ignored?
  3. Maergoth Well-Known Member

Played until I realized that attuned items could not be traded. Thought it was going to be like EQ1's Firiona Vie server used to be. Guess not.

Seems kind of silly, honestly. If the point is for the freedom of movement of items, shouldn't have to rely on unattuners to do the job. Might actually make this server different enough to play on.

Until then, just going to wait for Race to Trak.
  4. Estal Well-Known Member

That we still have to attune things does seem like a bit of an oversight indeed, but you know, steps in the right direction and all that.

Although still blows having to start over to enjoy the benefits of less trading restrictions.
  5. rutro Well-Known Member

My dreams came true with this new server. The only thing that I would change is to not allow kronos. Otherwise, I feel like a true virgin again. WOOT! Fun times- way more appearance gear for peeps, and like someone said- plenty of work for tradeskillers and spell hunters alike. Thank you DB!!!
    Kittybock and Raff like this.
  6. Raff Well-Known Member

I suggest you just give the new server a shot. Its not nearly as bad as some here would have you think. Yes, there is quite a bit of plat floating about. But guess what? There is darn little to buy. Especially in the upper levels. No ammo, potions, poisons, totems, spells, food, drink etc...All the little things that make up a complete character, lol

People still have to harvest AND level crafters. Guilds will probably be hoarding that output for some time to come also. Since its not easily replaceable. I was on this morning before work and there were 10 people in guild and a lively world chat ongoing. Last night we had 15 people on. Some grouping, some soloing....

As with all servers (and games), there are people racing for max level. But there is also a goodly quantity of players that are leveling, questing, crafting, harvesting and playing old content.
    Belenos, Prissetta, Kittybock and 3 others like this.
  7. Elinea Well-Known Member

(dangit, posted in wrong thread)
  8. Ummmyeh Active Member

Turn the brightness down to 1% and it was an awesome display of creativity. Even the part that wasn't original added to the mystique.
  9. Siren Well-Known Member

I agree with those surprised about having to attune things and then get unattuners after if they want to reuse or sell gear. I'm on IoR, but I don't have any Heroics nor do I do agnostics. I've been leveling through both old lowbie content (Qeynos) and new (Frostfang), and it seems there are still a lot of no-trade and have-to-attune-to-equip drops from both regular mobs and bosses, and quest gear that is like that, too.

I thought IoR was supposed to be free trade? I'd say Daybreak should have reworked the drops before opening this type of server, but I realize that would be too huge a job for the size team they've got. I was there on Deathtoll. Enough said.

However, they at least should have examined the idea in more detail themselves, and communicated the details of what IoR actually is better, before they launched this server. I deleted a couple Skyfire alts and bought a few character slots besides (with my gold SC allotment, so it didn't cost me anything really) for Isle of Refuge. I hate to say this, but I probably wouldn't have bothered if I had known the drops really aren't much different.

What drops on IoR have actually changed? Does anyone know yet? Like I said, my toons are still lowbies on IoR so I can only judge so far. However, I could just get unattuners on Skyfire and play the toons I already have if I wanted to manually unattune things myself. D'oh!

Either way, it's certainly not the end of the world, and I didn't delete anyone on Skyfire that I can't just reroll and get back up to snuff in a few days anyway. I could always just reuse my new character slots on Stormhold, too, if I decide to leave IoR: since my Deathtoll characters merged there, I've been meaning to give it more of a shot. Isle of Refuge's drops are disappointing so far, though. I can't even tell I'm not on Skyfire (which has a bustling population when I'm on, too).
  10. Ziggle New Member

Resubbed and deleted an existing character for IoR, joining chorus of the disappointed. This server doesn't seem very thought out or anything like a "fresh start", and I don't mean TLE ruleset.

What is the point of splitting server pops with a tweak to heirloom item flag? In order to make this server anything it will need to hit a critical mass, which I don't see happening... and that would come at the expense of other populations at this point.

Why not tweak existing servers to make them more fun? You need all access to get on this server, so why not just allow all access members to trade heirloom and potentially other stuff and keep server pops more stable?
  11. Kahleem Active Member

SEVERE issues with this server that ruin it for most people I knew were going to try it are as follows:
    -> Heroic Characters (buying level 90)
    -> Leveling is a JOKE on this server. Can go from 20 to 100 in 6hours with the new agnostic dungeons from ToT (aka: if you don't buy ToT you cannot play on this server, no one exists outside agnostics, and if you're not 100 most guilds want nothing to do with you.)
    -> They removed the /claims for new/returning players so 10+ year old vets have mountains of claimable potions new players do not. (widens XP gap)
    -> Loyalty tokens, which you earn by just being online and playing, allow you to PURCHASE bags full of 500plat. The economy has already ballooned into obscene levels.
    -> <Insert more cash shop nonsense here>

GG, I'll stick to TLE...it's at least "mostly" sane (aside from devs refusing to fix tank gear?)
  12. Siren Well-Known Member

Okay, first of all, lots of players exist outside agnostics. I have been bouncing between the newbie zones of Kelethin, Frostfang and Qeynos and there are many other lowbies running around (and sending team invites) wherever I go. I've even got a couple toons in Queen's colony and there are maybe 17-20 peeps running about in whatever little corner of it I happen to be in, too. And I've been alternating times between mornings, afternoons or evenings because I'm on vacation this week. It's always the same.

As far as guilds go, I have only wee lowbies-- no Heroics, no plat bags, no agnostics-- and I have been invited to guilds on every toon so far. Lots of guilds are advertising in the chat, and although a few say they're raid-centric, most say they do everything and accept everyone. Perhaps the one guild you thought you really wanted to join turned you down, but honestly, if they're that snotty two days into a new server, they likely did you a favor. Join of the many others freely recruiting, and I suspect you'll have a much better time in-game with the nicer people anyway.

If the only reward pots you've got coming to you are the 2 tiny ones from the welcome back package, then big deal, you lost two tiny pots. How far were they really going to get you? If you held off and used them on one crafter once he hit the 90s in crafting or something, you'd be lucky to get a couple levels out of them total. Hooray. Vets who have been in-game for going on 12 years now quite frankly deserve the rewards they get, and those ARE going to include way more pots than what you would have gotten (although whether veteran free players deserve them too or just veteran subbers could be argued, but that was Daybreak's choice to include them).

On IoR, every player is subbed so every player has access to the loyalty token plat bags if that's what you want to do with your tokens. You get 500 plat for 5 tokens for Pete's sake. Even if you start out with no tokens at all, in a few days you'll have 500 plat-- hardly necessary for a new player in Norrath. And if you decide not to spend your tokens that way, then your complaint is moot. Who cares what everyone else does? They're not pushing your toon around and you're not pushing theirs.
    Belenos, Devon02, Kittybock and 3 others like this.
  13. Raff Well-Known Member

There are a lot of players on the server right now. And that alone is probably the root cause of the all the hate being bandied about in these forums. Incoming new players are interested in trying it out and vets are dropping out of live & TLE guilds to give it a whirl.

Its too early to say if the server will maintain this momentum. But there are more people in lower level zones than I've seen in years. Not everyone is running for max level. If you want to run old content at level w/out chronoing (which isn't even a close equivalent to quest or MC geared toons) with other people, then IOR is the place to be.

As far as progression rates? I haven't touched a potion and I run my AA slider at 70% all the time. But a lot of us vets have multiple max level characters on the live servers. That is a 200% XP boost alone for many of us. Heck yeah, we level fast. We did on Live too. So what is the beef with that?
    Belenos, Prissetta and Siren like this.
  14. Finora Well-Known Member

The only thing I remember them saying is most heirloom things will be freely tradeable (except for marketplace bought things). I don't think there is much in the way of heirloom dropped items at lower levels, I think Kunark might be the earliest I've seen it.
    Siren likes this.
  15. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

I'm having a lot of fun! My guild is friendly and kind and thoughtful. No level requirement. No time requirements. Just folks working together to level ourselves up. I'm taking the slow path, exploring the Commonlands and Freeport/Halas/Gorowyn. I haven't been able to find a zone without folks there. Crafting in Freeport and Halas meant 2-3 folks per workstation. Now our guild has a hall and crafting stations but it was still shared workstations (which I love!).

I have a little home in Freeport, a safe nest to feather. That matters to me, don't know why, I know some folks couldn't care less about in game housing but it's important to me. Quite the throwback too, learning and relearning how to deco with beginner stuff. :)

It's a ton of enjoyable energy and enthusiasm from my point of view, ymmv. It's as much of a fresh start and challenge as you let it be. I got one plat bag but found their is very little to actually buy, soooo that plat sits there. My house tax isn't exactly eating into it lol. So far? Very happy to be on IoR with my guild and sister. :)
    Belenos, Raff, Prissetta and 2 others like this.
  16. Siren Well-Known Member

Clearly, Daybreak is putting new content and new servers behind a gold sub requirement. Adding an "heirloom trade" idea to the live servers, which are apparently overrun with free players like bronzes and grandfathered silvers, isn't going to net them much new income in comparison. Free players on these forums can talk all they want about how they spend money in the cash shop, but obviously the silent majority of free players don't-- or don't spend anywhere near $15 a month there. Otherwise, there wouldn't be all these gold sub paywalls going up now.
  17. SwashbucklerWoman Active Member

I went on the new server today
    got a toon to 13
    saw a lot of sleazy boxers and creepy Faes
    what is not no trade ?
  18. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

*Blinks* wow. Mkay. Fae are the same on all servers, sooo..not sure why you deem them creepy on one server. I think they're adorable. To each their own.

And someone who boxes is not inherently bad or ahem, sleazy. Running characters without third party software is allowed. Some folks are dragging a healer, to fill out a group. Some are just leveling. Either way? Failing to see the sleaze.
    Belenos, Siren and Prissetta like this.
  19. Kittybock Well-Known Member

Siren, come join us. :)

I was hesitant about the new server, said I wasn't gonna do it. Yeah, I went. OMG we are having a blast! We had more people on today in voice than I've seen work together in a guild in a while. Refreshing!

Thus far, everyone that has joined us has been awesome! They donate all sorts of things, great attitude!

Only downside for me: Hopping between servers is a bit of a task to visit both guilds and I do miss my 9 Lvl 100 crafters. I need stuff!! :)
    Belenos, Raff, Siren and 3 others like this.
  20. semisus Does not play this game

would be nice with a guide event this weekend , guide forum doesnt list any for isle of refuge yet
    newsies would be awesome.
    Prissetta, Avahlynn and Kittybock like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.