Is Tinkering a worth while trade? I dont think so

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-CresentBlade, Feb 12, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-CresentBlade Guest

[p]It requires ALOT of harvestables to just make one item and its hit or miss if you get a point or not. Most of the items have no value on the market and alot of the items are self only.[/p][p]Tinkerers need a better selection of useful items that can be sold.[/p][p]What are your thoughts?[/p]
  2. ARCHIVED-DwarvesRUs Guest

My jeweler uses those tinkered harvesting tools. Other than that. . . . I don't bother with even looking for tinkered items on the broker. They just aren't a big deal to me.
  3. ARCHIVED-Iseabeil Guest

[p]Is tinkering worth it? Yes and no. It depends on you and what you are looking for from it. Personally, to me as a 350 tinkerer it was worth it, but I never took it up with the intention of makin money from it. I went tinkerer cause it had some fun stuff that I myself was interested in. Would it hurt to relax some on the requirements? Prolly not, but Id expect any item that would be re-classed from tinkerer only would risk a nerf along with it. [/p][p]If ye want a tradeskill you can have fun with its a nice choise, if ye want a tradeskill that makes money its a bad choise.[/p][p] [/p]
  4. ARCHIVED-Lasai Guest

I compare it to Engineering in WOW, a bunch of semi-useful items as an adventurors hobby. Probably of some value on a PvP server, not much at all in PvE. in my opinion
  5. ARCHIVED-rejester45 Guest

[p]If you are going to put the time,effort, and money into a secondary tradeskill I would say no. There are few items that really help you out and even less that can be marketed to other people or non-tinkers. It may be the cheaper of the two secondary tradeskills but I think that transmuting is more worth the effort. [/p][p]Amud 39brig/64alchemist[/p][p]Teace 26assassin/52woodworker[/p]
  6. ARCHIVED-Bakual Guest

[p]It is well worth the effort just for RP reasons. Nothing beats a gnome with some tinkered items, even more if they are worth crap :D[/p][p]But for adventuring reason it is not worth the effort, for sure not. No tradeskill is worth it, because in the time you need to raise it, you could have made more money to just buy the items you need from another crafter ;)[/p][p]If you're bored with adventuring alone and you already got a crafting profession to our level, then tinkering is well worth the time. I think even more than transmuting because you get more variety with items, and the items themself are really funny :D[/p]
  7. ARCHIVED-Deson Guest

If your are looking at it from a pure trade perspective then absolutely not. However, it provides great versatility for adventuring and considering that most of the items are no-trade, there is no balancing it against just buying the item.
  8. ARCHIVED-Gargamel Guest

[p]Tinkering is like a 3rd AA.[/p][p] I never made much money on any of my characters... my sage did ok once transmuting went in (and I had a 4rm apt with ebony scroll stands to leave 180+ spells for sale at a time for months) but I never made jack with my carpenter (though since repair kits came down I can get a few gold per kit... damn people are so cheap. They cost 12g in fuels alone and yet people on AB cry and complain about having to pay 14g for one and try to "make a deal"... meh.[/p][p] Point is, tinkering won't make you any money... it will just give you (and only you for alot of them) new abilities. [/p][p]It might be a FD (that is 50/50 at a low lvl version and 90/10 at the high level version). I'm necro, but I have 2 FD timers just in case... its nice. It might be a rez item It might be a health/power stone that has a 50% chance to give 20% health/power but a 50% chance to take 12% health/power (or the high lvl version which is 90/10 chances)[/p][p]It could just be fun things like the boot item stilts that let you 'float' like a fey, or a charm consumeable parachute that gives you safefall for 30s (yaaaayyy now my necro can jump from kelethin on my nightmare horse and float all the way to the bottom -- yes I've done it ;)[/p][p]I've made 'eye' slot items that grant see invis, or see stealth, or see underwater, etc I've made 'suits' that convert 3-9% of incoming disease or cold/heat dmg into power[/p][p]Nothing huge... just little nice things... some fun... some more useful than others (esp if you don't have FD or a rez), but like you said uses TONS of raws.[/p][p]10 loams per combine at T1, 12 at T2, 15 at T3. So at T3 you are hunting in Nek and TS. Of the rock node 1/2 are the hard metal you need. Of that 1/2, roughly 1/2 will give you metal 1/2 will give you loam.[/p][p]So you've got 1/4 of the metal nodes with 3 taps per node, at most 15, at least 3.[/p][p]It costs 15 (loams plus 6 of soft metal, 1 hard metal, and 10 other soft metal) for one combine. Usually I'll get a skillup every 2-3 combines. I've gone 5, I've gotten them in 2.[/p][p]Anyway it takes thousands and thousands of raws to go through a tier so you'll never be able to 'power level' it... the resource market won't support it. If you expect too much, or too fast, you'll hate tinkering. If you don't mind getting 4-5 skill ups after burning through 3 stacks of 50 loams every once in a while and look at is as an investment, you'll find it rewarding.[/p][p]If all else fails.... take comfort by saying "at least I didn't pick transmuting"[/p][p] [/p][p] [/p]
  9. ARCHIVED-Truls Guest

[p]/agree with most of what's been said above. I took up tinkering just for my own enjoyment (plus being responsible for tradeskills in my guild I figured I should try it out :) ). I use fd devices, workstations, pets (mostly for fun), and a few other things. Here is my 2 cents:[/p][p]1. It takes a lot of raws so expect to harvest a lot (or spend lots of coin). Once you hit T7 items you can power lvl as the supply is much higher making the prices that much lower. Also use zones like CoD (harvestable instance) to get you through some of the levels. It is possible to make 350 fairly fast ... I hit it two weeks ago and I play at most about 12 hrs/week and I harvested about 90% of my loams up to T7.[/p][p]2. You can make coin on tinkering ... I don't, however, like any tradeskill there are a few niche type items which do sell (such as the % success items for crafters and the harvesting tools).[/p][p]3. Basically if you approach it as more of a mindset of having fun I think you will enjoy it a lot more ... I had a good laugh at the mechanized gnome :).[/p][p] Are all the items useful ... no. Do all the items sell ... no. Can you have fun being a tinkerer ... imo yes.[/p]
  10. ARCHIVED-Jai1 Guest

[p]I blame the rest of the Tinkerers that are trying to offload their stuff at below market value as the main cause for the rest not being able to make money. At about 220 tinkering, all the stuff I make is on the market for about a gold. The market value of the loams alone is about 2.5g and then there's the metal that is usually pricey to. It's not like the market is flooded with the stuff. There may be about 5 lines of sellers but all of them are selling, what cost me about 3-4g, for a gold. This is good for the buyers but puts me in a hole. [/p][p]I decided to set the ceiling though. I have those same crafting items for 7g and 10g for temp crafting stations. It still wouldn't be a big money maker but I'm all about recouping cost. I have the store space to spare as well so I'll just keep them at that price. It's just silly to me to see them all selling for a gold when the loams and metal cost a whole lot more. As for the tinkering in general, I see it as useful to the adventurer. So if you have a raiding main, make them the tinkerer.[/p]
  11. ARCHIVED-Ookami-san Guest

[p]Worth it? What do you truly mean?[/p][p]Is it worth it financially? ABSOLUTELY NOT! Most of the stuff is NO TRADE, TINKER ONLY or some other equally annoying restriction (like the 67 artisan on tools). I don't think SoE wanted it to be another money maker.[/p][p]Is it worth it as an artisan? ABSOLTELY NOT! You gain NOTHING from being a tinkering artisan. You can get tinkered tools if you want without investing the time, energy, money and sanity into tinkering.[/p][p]Is it worth it as an adventurer? With all of the abilities you can gain through tinkering, I have to say ABSOLUTELY worth it. My swashy is at 308 tinkering and last night, while in clockwork form, he used his FD to live through a deadly encounter, then... when everyone wanted to Revive because the healer was dead and forgot to hand out rez items... I mentioned I could rez... and I did... rezzed the healer, who rezzed everyone else and off we were again. Not to mention, the Stilts are great... as is the parachute.... if you don't believe so.... grab a parachute go over to KoS... it's fun to jump off the cloud at various spots! I haven't tried the pacemaker item... I tried using it on the healer last night... but found it's self only. I thought I read you could use it on other people. Hopefully... there are other nifty items in this last teir, but that'll have to weight for me to harvest more. =) Just a few things you can do: Charm, Summon Mob Pets, FD, Rez, AutoRez yourself, MemWipe[/p][p] [/p][p]So is it worth it? Considering the cost, it's debatable... but with the versatility it gives to an adventuring character... I'm inclined to say Yes, but only if you are an adventurer.[/p][p] [/p][p] [/p][p] [/p]
  12. ARCHIVED-BruceHH Guest

Gargamel, that's one of the best presentations of why you'd want to tinker I've seen. I've started down tinkering myself, and not because I expect to make money at it (my main is a WS; I know all about not making money at crafting). I'm tinkering because it is something new, different, and can lead to some interesting additional capacities. --Troll