Is this normal

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Eimaj, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Eimaj New Member

Hello all and thank you for any insight you may be able to give me. So I am a new player and loving the game. I just unlocked mercenaries and got blisterzonk. The problem I am having is I am a guardian and am having a real hard time keeping threat on me. One on one I do ok but if there is a group not a chance. I am a lvl 22 and have been leveling very slow because I am enjoying seeing all the areas. So I guess my question is will I be better as I lvl up or will I always struggle with threat?
  2. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

You won't always struggle as the higher you get the more access you get to better equipment, AAs and adornments that can improve hate gain. Mercs can steal aggro, even healers, because they are a bit OP at lower levels. You could try putting it on passive, they will still heal you, just won't attack. That should help you to keep aggro in the beginning levels.
  3. Eimaj New Member

Ok thank you. I didn't know if they would heal me still or not so I didn't even try that. The only reason I wanted one was to heal me when I try to take on some of the bigger guys I probably shouldn't even be fighting. Lol
  4. santargria Well-Known Member

IMO - while you will get better as you level and the mercs may still aggro a bit, you really need to learn to use your Taunts effectively.

I had the same issue as you, and while I seldom play my Guardian anymore I can say that after speaking with really good guardian players, taunting is one of the primary keys to holding aggro

That being said, I understand a max levels holding aggro is a full time job with some classes doing so much burst damage and not managing their un-hate.

Welcome to the game, it's really has a good community and in game there are many willing to help in chat as well
    Prissetta likes this.
  5. Eimaj New Member

Thank you for the advice. I am enjoying the community and the fact that there is so much to do. The only complaint is have had so far was how fast I was leveling so I just put my AA slider at 85 and problem fixed. Although I am now lvl 22 with 83 AA and feel very OP unless fighting mobs higher than me. This is am sure will not be the case as I keep playing and get higher. Now all I need to do is decide what class I want to boost to 100.
    santargria likes this.
  6. Venser Active Member

you can always consider stormhold server if you feel things are too easy. the xp gain is a lot slower, there are no mercs, and there are groups at lower levels thru til max. SH is a time locked server currently at the shadow odyssey xpack. the max level is 80 and max AA is 200. lots to do between low lvls and at end game on TLE.
  7. Meirril Well-Known Member

While a merc is on passive it will still attempt to cure and heal you. Until you reach 90 the merc is significantly more powerful than you. The farther you get above 90 the more useless the mercs become. Still worth having for solo content, but you'll be doing almost all the damage no matter what class you are once you hit 90+.

Also as you gain levels you'll gain a lot of new abilities. Both from AA and from straight levels. Around 90 you'll want to do Epic Repercussions and/or your class's epic quest (1.0, a 2.0 quest was recently introduced and it requires you do the first as a pre-requisite). The buff you get from that series of quests is one of the best you'll get.

And when you start leveling a little slower you might think about upgrading your combat arts. If you are leveling 10 times in a week I don't think its necessary to upgrade spells. But when it slows to a level a week it might be worth looking at upgrading spells. Also try to keep your gear sort of up to date. Anything 10 levels below you really isn't helping you anymore.