Is there any difference in canceling your membership now, vs the day before it renews?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by CoLD MeTaL, Oct 14, 2016.

1. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

Do they stop you from access to anything because you are not on 'auto renew' or something?

Should you just wait until the day before you renew to cancel?
    Soara2 likes this.
  2. Zhaanish Well-Known Member

Not that I'm aware of. I almost always cancel right away so I don't auto-renew accidentally.
    Soara2 likes this.
  3. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

You retain your paid subscription status until the current month expires. For example, I cancelled mine several weeks ago and today it finally expired. If Daybreak delivers on this expansion I'll renew it then.
    Soara2 likes this.
  4. Tekka Well-Known Member

A few things require a 'recurring subscription' not just an active membership - gifting is one of those, I think there is a service as well, character transfer maybe?

If those are not things you'd be using in the remaining time, you should be safe to cancel at whatever point in the cycle.
    Soara2, Zhaanish and Sejreia like this.
  5. handsome pete Member

Not sure what your asking. I have always had a sub to play before it was free to play. I can tell you that if you don't renew you get kicked to the free level, which meant limits to what you can do. I changed CC numbers and forgot, so it didn't renew with my card and it happened. Once I used the new number I was back the way it was.
    Soara2 and Tohopka like this.
  6. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

I do the same. I pay for a month, then immediately turn around and cancel usually.

You still get to play for the full month you paid for :)
    Soara2 and Zhaanish like this.
  7. Chrisworld Active Member

This is true. I tried to do a character transfer once when they were still offering the time cards in stores and I couldn't buy a character xfer. I could have used my credit card but I chose not to because I was spending cashed earned in real life to buy cards and play the game. So I contacted support before I knew this, when I thought it was a bug. Support was nice and allowed me to buy and use a transfer token for 24 hours without being an active subscription member.

I still don't know why you had to be a member, no matter what way you spin it my money is going to them so it made little sense.
    Soara2 and Hartsmith like this.
  8. Freyja Member

Just got out of a yoga class so more than a little slow, but, what is the logic behind subbing for a month and then cancelling immediately? It's not making it past my over relaxed mind. (no, i'm not driving lol)
    Soara2 likes this.
  9. Chrisworld Active Member

I guess for more control over your subscription so that you don't pay for what you don't use. If you sub is close to running out and you're playing other games or busy in real life for a month or two it makes more sense to just not bother re subbing and not have to worry about wasting money by having it auto renew.

I used to do it also.
    Soara2 likes this.
  10. xpsync Active Member

You need it to transfer for sure happened to me when i wanted to move the only character i didn't delete to Isle of Refuge.
    Soara2 likes this.
  11. Cheesenabber Active Member

I think it had to do with credit card fraud and stolen accounts? I'm honestly not entirely sure, I think it was changed before the whole game went ftp
    Soara2 likes this.
  12. Tekka Well-Known Member

Some folks don't like to leave credit card information on file, so they pay, cancel, then remove the information.

I think way back in the day there was an option to pay month to month, non-recurring. Or I could be thinking of another game.
    Soara2 likes this.
  13. Gudum Active Member

Its not necessarily for just a month, some people subbed for a year when it was on sale, and don't want to risk renewing at the regular price the next year, but also don't want to lose the gifting, server transfers, etc, during the year.
    Soara2 likes this.
  14. Freyja Member

Thanks for the answers, folks. I selected recurring on one account but not the other and it never auto renews so was curious.
    Soara2 likes this.
  15. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

I have had to temporarily cancel subscriptions before the end of a paid month and can tell you the only thing that was different, iirc, was that I could no longer Gift anything to anyone from the Marketplace. At the end of the month, it will automatically switch you to FtP restrictions.
    Soara2 likes this.
  16. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

I am a veeeeeeeery forgetful person, if I don't cancel immediately (even if I might plan to play the next month to), something can always come up and I will need the money for something else, and next thing I know I am getting charged. I play more than 1 MMO, so that probably don't help my forgetfulness on what I am subbed to and what I am not :)
    Soara2 likes this.
  17. Adevil Well-Known Member

Spreadsheet for subs!
    Soara2 likes this.