Is the Epic starter quest working as intended now?

Discussion in 'Dirge' started by ARCHIVED-Chantrea, Feb 11, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Chantrea Guest

I have spent many hours in Seb along with the other dirges and have yet to see a starter. I just finished up a conversation with a fellow dirge on my server and he said he has camped the Everlasting Quill for 48 hours now and has been competing with 2-4 groups for the named that drops it at a higher %. These groups he is competing with do not have a dirge and he asked them and they were just camping it to sell the item. I logged in after the server down time this morning and 2 different people offered 100p in the 70 chat for the dirge starter item. Is this working as the developers intended the dirge epic to start? I would just like to know, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. ARCHIVED-Phorcin Guest

Would like an update on this too, if possible. I heard that a couple people in 70-79 chat today were attempting to sell the Everlasting Quill for 100pp or more, and was wondering if they got it via luck or hotfix.
  3. ARCHIVED-Whysprr_Wyrd Guest

There's some sort of hotfix going in today, check the notes when they're posted.
  4. ARCHIVED-Morganna Guest

The starter is not the only problem you will face on this quest. I camped the starter for roughly 24 hours on and off over several days fighting with, at one point TWENTY Dirges in Sebalis. Eventually late Friday night we went deep into Chardok (Library to be exact), Killed a trash mob named Di'Zok Hierophant (or something) and got the starter. In fact we got 2 starters in about an hour. I recommend going there.
    But the madness does NOT stop there. A step towards the end of the quest requires the Dirge to Kill Bottomless Devourers to get a rare/uncommon update, 2 in fact. The problem with this is that these mobs Only spawn in either Maidens or Vaults. The problem is there are limited devourers that spawn (2-4 in Maidens, 2 in vaults maybe) and that the update is by No means guaranteed. I have done each of these zones countless times trying to get the 2 updates needed and have yet to get them. The fact that it requires a group really isn't a problem if the items in question actually drop/update. But asking a group repeatedly to go into these zones to kill 1 mob is absolutely ridiculous. Once or twice...maybe. There needs to be more of these mobs to kill, it needs to update more frequently, or it needs to be placed on a different mob. I dont mind hard epics, hard kills, harvests etc, but relying on stupid random rare updates and doing zones over and over again is crap.
    Here is a post from Flames on the subject as well:

on top of the starter issue, let's talk about the "sing a song of sorrow" step.

-I need to retrieve soul sharpened teeth from bottomless devourers.-
    the "bottomless devourers" can only be found in two charasis instances: maiden's and vault. across these two zones, there are about 5 or 6 devourers. this is an uncommon / rare update, and you need to get TWO of them. also please note that killing trash in vault will initiate the lockout (not sure about maiden's).

what kind of lame crap is this? i didn't mind killing 50 drakes or 15+ octopuses for the chelsith update - there are plenty per zone for one update. but how is this even reasonable? how many lockouts will i need to wait through to get lucky enough to get both of my devourer updates? why is it necessary to put uncommon updates on such an uncommon mob?

why is it so hard to make a reasonable quest? two months past expansion release, and this is the nonsensical garbage that we must endure?

Please SOE can we get a comment on this step as well as the starter issues ASAP. We have waited a long time for epics and want to be able to do these fine quests, but the design of the whole thing is making it very difficult.
  5. ARCHIVED-Gnobrin Guest

Greetings, all!
    The issue here with the Dirge starter is known and shall be corrected soon. I don't have a timeframe as to when that's going to hit the live servers nor anything in regards to what it's going to entail, but I wanted to let you know that it's coming.

~Gnobrin!
  6. ARCHIVED-arntr2 Guest

Ummm pardon me if I don't say thanks but well when it goes live and it is confirmed to work I'll say thanks. Nice to see you maybe trying to fix the starter issue but just thinking ahead... what about the ridiculously rare updates in a instance? Can't believe there are folks spending 4+ days just trying to get 2 updates. Of course I'm not that far yet.... still trying to find the starter but have decided to hold off wasting anymore of my friends time until it goes live. Anyways I will wait with the rest of my fellow dirges who have yet to "get lucky" so I can start my epic.
  7. ARCHIVED-Crimson Dragon Guest

to go with what bell was saying, this is my chronicle of getting devourer teeth

in the [ # devourers in maiden's / # devourers in vault / updates ] format
    day 1: 4 / 2 / 0
    day 2: 2 / 0 / 1
    day 3: _ / 1 / 0
    day 4: 2 / 1 / 0
    day 5: 5 / _ / 1 (2)
    total: 9*/ 4 / 2

*9 actual kills, but a total of 13 spawns in this instance.
    blanks indicate that a zone was not run

day 5 was today. first two devourers gave updates.
    (guildmate dirge was with me, and he didn't have any yet... thus the 2 on day 5.)
  8. ARCHIVED-Crimson Dragon Guest

this was in today's hotfix: Dirges, take note! The everlasting quill has gained popularity.
  9. ARCHIVED-Furi Guest

I don't think that the update did anything. 4 people so far have killed hierophants and not gotten the starter. I really wish they would change it period so I can get started. Nothing worse then an epic quest that you can't even start!
  10. ARCHIVED-Herfmin Guest

Like hell its workin, this update did a whole bunch of nothing.
    Good going.
  11. ARCHIVED-GangleG Guest

after the endless hours of camping the devs just need to tell us where to get the ******* starter and not give us some ******** cryptic message that means nothing at all.
  12. ARCHIVED-Phorcin Guest

Madrat@Mistmoore wrote:
    Was that in the hotfix or was it in the test server patch notes?
  13. ARCHIVED-Herfmin Guest

This was the biggest waste of 4-5 days i could ever possibly imagine in a game.

I mean ffs, this is A STARTER FOR THE QUEST! A STARTER! Need me to say that again? A STARTER! Its not like i can just turn it for the weapon right away, but with this kind of ******** I better be able to.
  14. ARCHIVED-juzamaku2 Guest

It ain't dropping for me in Sebilis.
  15. ARCHIVED-GangleG Guest

anyone have any luck with this yet?
  16. ARCHIVED-Crimson Dragon Guest

Phorcin@Nagafen wrote:
    it was in the hotfix. i copied that directly from the patch note box that you can open on the eq2 updater.
  17. ARCHIVED-Kerazie Guest

I was in Sebilis earlier today, killed Prime a few times, tons of frogs and some of the other named further down West. No drops for me, been in there for two days with other groups finally decided I was sick of camping for my starter I decided to buy it, but Quill is now no- trade. So did SoE up the % rate by 1 and ninja no trade it? I guess sometime I will have to run back in. O well.
  18. ARCHIVED-GangleG Guest

Nekorb@Crushbone wrote:
    they made it no-trade and the drop rate is still non-existent? wow, what the **** is wrong with the "devs"? this is the STARTER for crying out loud...we are the ONLY class that has to put up with this **** to even START the quest
  19. ARCHIVED-Herfmin Guest

Its no-trade now?
    This must be some kind of a joke, really.
    A game ruining, and subscription cancelling at that.
    Is someone getting paid to **** with us?
  20. ARCHIVED-Boise Guest

i'm sure it was no-traded, to curb people selling epic starters for 100p+, quest starters shouldnt be an enterprise...

that said i'm not implying the drop rate was at a stupid level to begin with... if they ever do epic2.0 hope we get the stinking easy go hail a deer type starter