Is the COE Design Template the Future of Everquest 2?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Mathrim, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archaical Active Member

Never said that. Swing and a miss!

Raid Times
    Sunday: 6pm-Midnight PST
    Monday through Thursday: 8pm-Midnight PST
    Call list for Avatars
  2. Mathrim Active Member

Yep. It is really nice even though it has nothing to do with my feelings on the difficulty of the fight. I like how you ignored the part about me point out that even in it's current state 1 soulwell is actually easier than a fight in Sleepers that 55% of the guilds have completed.

It is so nice to actually have the intelligence and cognative thought processing ability to understand that when the ACTUAL DEVELOPER who designed the fight himself says its bugged and requires patching and tweaking to fix, then there are problems with the scripts and it shouldn't be counted.

Must be too complex of an idea for you to grasp.
    Alenna and Neiloch like this.
  3. Archaical Active Member

Now I have seen it all. People that aren't even clearing the content are now complaining its too easy. Gotta love it.
    Salavar likes this.
  4. Mathrim Active Member

What people not clearing content are complaining that it's too easy? Me?

I've cleared all Normal Mode including Drinal. My guild cleared everything but Drinal (bugged) in the first two weeks and we're not even an end game guild. We're middle of the pack tied with guilds 57-122 on CoE kills. We've been doing nothing but farming and taking 1 night a week to work on Hard mode for over a month and a half now.

We clear everything including Drinal 1 soulwell in 2 1/2 nights of 2.5 hours each night. That's all Normal Mode content clear in 6 hours.

I really don't understand what you are trying to base your retorts off of. The only way they make any kind of sense is if you are just trolling and trying to spout out nonsense to try and irritate people. Too bad it isn't working since I actually play the content and have facts along with statistics to prove my points while you are just dropping hate bombs. Keep trying bud.
  5. Archaical Active Member

You have cleared all the normal mode content, that means you are a hard mode raiding guild. Why are you so upset about content made for people that raid half the amount of time you do? Before you try to convince me you don't that much, here is the updated raid schedule for your guild on your recruitment page. If you raid less now that you have cleared all the "easy mode" content and just can't cut it in hard mode, then that is just sad.

Raid Times: 8:30pm - 11:00 pm Central Time Tue, Thur, Fri, Sun
    No reason you raid that much and are not even in the top 5 guilds on your server, unless its because you spend too much time complaining about "easy mode" content on the forums instead of pulling content that is actually made for your excessive playstyle.
  6. Caethre Active Member

((
    Of course we all would prefer 100% bug-free perfect content at release, but when does that ever happen, in any game? We all need to be tolerant of bugs, they will fix them as they get around to them.

I would have much preferred some detailed crafting quest content (/mourn Domino, her content was superb, everything since in crafting has been minimal).

But we can only ever respond from our own perspectives, and mine is that COE is most enjoyable expansion I recall in my twelve years with the EQ/EQII franchise.

So, as another 8 year veteran, I can only say to your question in general, a definite "I hope so!".
    ))
  7. Mathrim Active Member

I really don't need to defend either myself or my guilds practices to you, but since you seem to be in such a viscious attack dog mode against any and all raiders, let me just lay some info out for you. Our guild is made up almost entirely of 25+ adults most of whom have families and real life jobs/concerns. We take the entire MONTH of December off and only raid with skeleton crews if at all so that people can spend time during the holidays with family. We frequently have people going out of town for work/business or people taking extended leaves of break for medical issues with themselves and their family. Our raiding schedule and progression exists and functions entirely around who is able to attend each night and our targets are based off of the functional classes we have in attendance. My guild and their attitude rocks. The fact that my guild is one of the oldest, largest, and most accomodating in Everquest 2 speaks volumes about the quality of Inner Circle.

The only thing sad in your entire post is your desire to attack and lash out at anyone who has a differing opinion from you.

Let me explain some things to you like I would logically to a child using your own comments.

By your own comments, any guild that has cleared Normal mode = Hard Mode guild. That means over 100 guilds in this game are Hard Mode guilds. Hmm. That's funny. I seriously doubt that there are 100 guilds in this game that claim to be Hard Mode and would laugh at your categorization. But even if we did go with your insane logic, lets lay this out in a way you can comprehend.

100 guilds out of 240 that have cleared Drinal 1 = 42%
    Number of Raid Mobs in CoE Hard Mode = 5

That means (don't forget this is your statement and your logic) that 42% of the raiding population of this game is HARD MODE and has only 5 mobs to work on. Everything else in the game is farming normal mode which by your own comments is below our excessive playstyle. There are no separate challenge zones this time around. There is no gear progression path. This is it. 5 measly mobs to work on after the first 2 weeks? And we are supposed to be happy with that?

My guild raids 10 hours a week and oh my god that is so excessive. Big whoop. I spend more time during the week going to the bathroom and picking lint out of my belly button.
  8. Jacck Active Member

I find your condescending attitude and almost religious crusade against an entirely different playstyle personally offensive. You go into threads that might, possibly, in the very loosest way imaginable, might in some convulated parralel universe have something to do with your crusade and literally work as much as possible to derail the entire thread into a discussion about how offensive you find our "excessive playstyle." You're belittling concepts and lack of even the smallest understanding of any facts brought up to your attention have me losing faith in humanity every day.

Go make your own thread about this. Or, are you only about going into other threads to troll with inaccurate replies in an attempt to derail useful topics into your own holy crusade against those who have an "excessive playstyle" and who refuse to play to your standards, which you have deemed as "how normal people play a game." Now, let's get back on topic if we may.
  9. Mathrim Active Member

The fact that you can even say "I Hope So" to this...

Are ZERO tradeskill quests for new expansions going to be normal?
    Are ZERO tradeskill writs for new levels going to be normal?
    Are ZERO heroic quests for new expansions going to be normal?
    Are ZERO epic quests for new expansions going to be normal?

is simply both frightening and sad at the same time.
  10. Malleria Well-Known Member

Really? 10hrs a week is too much? Frankly with a schedule like that you're looking at more like 8hrs a week, since most guilds will waste at least a half hour on any given night waiting on late comers, afks, etc. That's just over an hour a day.

You think an hour a day is playing too much?
  11. Arieste Well-Known Member

First of all. I have to say that i actually agree with the general idea of your post. And I too would love to have the answers. However, just so we are not deemed ignorant, I'll add some things...

- I don't really know or care about crafting quests. However, at the moment, with the addition of Experimentation and Refining, crafting is at the most useful that it has ever been in the history of EQ2. Crafters now make best-in-slot items for several slots. So, in regards to crafting, what I'd like to know is: "Will this continue? Will see see additional rare-dropped materials that make best-in-game items? Will we be able to get refined prime green adorns? "
    - again, not a crafter - don't care. But i suppose some people do.

- New heroic quests have been added (or are in the process of being added) to ST. They're next to useless. The heroic quest with Jenni Everling yields a reward that while FABLED is actually worse than all the legendary gear that drops in solo instances. Seriously, SOE, what the holy heck is wrong with you? WTB heroic quests. WTB quests that lead from solo to heroic to epic.

- Again, there is 1 quest. It yields a nice reward. But it's not even really a quest, more like a bonus reward for killing Melanie Everling. See above.

- To be fair, they changed this, so you no longer need to do the access quest to access any heroic content. You do need to do it to access "faction" rewards - faction rewards have always required some sort of grind, but doing something like 150 quests for it is rather ridiculous. At least the Skyshrine heroic questline was both challenging, reward and took you through heroic content that dropped useful stuff.

- While I fully agree with you that red slot gear shouldn't drop in solo instances, it really isn't "end game" gear any more than the 190 stat yellow slot gear that drops in heroic instance. All this gear is on par or below the level of easy-mode trash drops in raids. That being said, it makes no sense whatsoever that R/Y slot stuff drops from solo, but only Y slot gear drops in heroic or is purchased with faction. I've posted on this extensively, really all the non-raid armor needs to be changed to having 2 yellows (while keeping the stat differential). This would bring it all in line with itself and raid gear.

- Great question. Why the heck should people put together stacked groups to do the (rather challenging) HM Wurmbone's End, when they can get the same quality drops by doing the super easy HM Temple which can be done with a pick-up group of half-drunk morons?

- I disagree with this tbh, I am mostly ok with the gear progression in CoE. Well, i was before they made the changes that allow PoW stuff to take the new adorns, which basically made half the CoE gear completely pointless. Gee, thanks DEVs! I guess we'll just ignore this expansion and go back to farming PoW trash for another year. Yay, more trash, yay... yay...yay... everybody now...
  12. Caethre Active Member

((
    - I made a remark on Tradeskill quests in my post.
    - The devs have stated that tradeskill writs will be added shortly, so I can't find myself getting too worried about it.
    - The other two matter little to me - most questing is best as solo in my opinion.
    The COE signature quest is absolutely fantastic, the best questline I can ever recall.

The fact you find it sad and frightening is not really relevant to me - remember: players do not all have the same opinions. You asked a question, I gave my answer, it doesn't need to agree with yours. :)

I see COE as a huge success. I know other players who feel the same way (but not the types who ever post on or even look at game forums, for the most part).
    ))
  13. Mathrim Active Member

What frightens and saddens me is you are saying that it is perfectly acceptable to you (and probably the other players who feel the same) that there is an absolute neglect of Heroic/Raid/Tradeskill questing as long as you get your SOLO fix.

Sure, you might have "acknowledged" that you would like some tradeskill quests like when Domino was around, but your attitude is basically "meh".

It's EverQUEST. Just as long as you SOLO huh? This is the first time to my knowledge that 3 out of 4 aspects of the game were completely neglected quest wise. It has never been this bad with only a single focus on 1 aspect of gameplay.

If the game becomes SoloQuest, then there really won't be much difference left between playing an MMO or Skyrim with a chat program running to the side.
    Neiloch likes this.
  14. Caethre Active Member

((
    The thing is Jacck, and meaning absolutely no insult at all, putting aside your dislike of his precise choice of words, what Archaical said here is basically true.

COE is great for casual-style players. I love it. Many of those I know in game love it. And the casual playerbase is where the money is as far as SOE is concerned - purely because of their relative numbers.
    ))
  15. Arieste Well-Known Member

I'm curious, what exactly in CoE do you find to be "better for casual players" than for example... DoV.. or before that.. SF?

Both of those aformentioned expacs had as much or more solo quests, significantly better lore and on top of that they also had tons of group quests with meaningful rewards, a multitude of group instances across all skill levels and with worthwhile item drops and gear progression, contested dungeons with quests and meaningful drops, public quests which were a huge hit for the majority of the casual population, etc, etc.

CoE has.. a bunch of solo quests - which ALL expacs have had in abundance. And CoE has more solo instances than ever before. BUt it's got no group quests, terrible lore, annoying gating mechanics and a useless contested dungeon that hardly anyone ever goes to.

IN total.. the only thing CoE has over other expac is that it has more solo instances. Is that really it, you would trade all the social experiences of grouping, doing group quests, doing dungeons... you'd trade all that for solo instances? Surely "casual" does not equal "solo".
    Neiloch likes this.
  16. Jacck Active Member

Basically what Arieste just stated.
    Neiloch likes this.
  17. Neiloch Well-Known Member

Raiding content in this xpac was ridiculously easy. The only fights that tripped us up were the ones that were bugged several different ways.

I have no problem with SOME of it being easy and allowing for raid content that more casual guilds can do, but we more or less steamrolled the entire expansion before 2013, bugs and all. This is no where near the pace of progress in the past. I'm hoping the next GU has an entirely new raid zone with at least the last half being hard enough to slow down high end guilds. The raiding quality in EQ2 is one of the few traits it has better than the countless other MMO's, until this current set of content.
  18. Mohee Active Member

CoE should at least be more like DoV in the sense that... for pretty much every EM raid, there is a version of that zone where every boss is HM. Making it a pretty equal amount of EM, and HM content. Instead of just a few HM encounters which they seem to be doing since SkyShrine. I also hope they plan on making more raid version of the new zones in general. There's 7 new instances, and 3 raids, lets hope that changes in the new future :)
  19. Atan Well-Known Member

I can't agree with this at all.
    1) Coe is great for SOLO style players, nothing more.
    2) There are no facts that the solo style players outnumber the rest.

Making that assumption is as flawed as me saying there are more raiders, cause if I count the active guild memberships of my server and tally all the unique accounts in guilds that raid vs the unique accounts in guilds that don't raid, there is 3:1 players that raid vs don't raid.

All we can say truthfully, is there are dedicated players that do both. And depending on the expansion, some are much happier than others.

To me the real question is delivering what kind of content equates to longer player retention. I for one agree with many of the concerns posted by the OP.
  20. Atan Well-Known Member

I have zero confidence that their team has a solid leader with a real plan to what they are trying to deliver.

Its more like 4 captains all steering in their own direction and an admiral that has a checklist of minimum amount of content to call an expansion.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.