Is siphoning of souls useful?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by ARCHIVED-Payneal The Great, Jan 6, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-Payneal The Great Guest

I recently returned to EQ2, and i am now a 73 necro and i wondering about siphoning souls. When i played before i remember ignoring this ability except for when i need the debuff obviously, but the extra 1 use abilities i completely ignored. Now that i am playing again i planned to try and use the free abilitys, but just to discover there are even more abilitys now. I dont know about you guys, but my hotbar is already over crowded and many abilitys under used, so should i just never use these extra abilitys or try an put forth the effort and hope they are worthwhile?
  2. ARCHIVED-StPatrick Guest

The Siphoning itself I use very often, on every fight at least once - it is part of pet's healing procedure with Tainted Heals. The spells that come from it - sometimes, when I don't forget about them - they are on 6h toolbar (I have 8 toolbars filled in with 6 of them in use).
  3. ARCHIVED-Xil Guest

Deadli@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    I use them constantly. Unstoppable Soul to increase Lifeburn Damage, Flayers to increase Pet DPS as well as Groupmate DPS, Soothing as a heal during Lifeburn or for the tank if the healer is stunned for a moment, the drain life one when I lifeburn whenever it is availible, and I constantly use the AE in TSO content because it's so rediculously packed with linked mobs heh.
    The only one I don't use much is the temp pet. But even that I'll use on raids for an extra body between the healers and whatever fun trama/stun/stiffle ect.. the mob is about to send off.
    Use em all the time. If you get the timing right you can make sure Siphon hits at the end of a mob's health bar and not even hurt your DPS to cast it.
  4. ARCHIVED-Payneal The Great Guest

Xil wrote:
    Not a bad idea.
  5. ARCHIVED-Alienor Guest

Xil wrote:
    since when do we get soothing soul again? I haven't seen it since they "fixed" it shortly after RoK release in 2007.
  6. ARCHIVED-Xil Guest

Alienor wrote:
    Single target heal over time looks like a glowing blue hand...
  7. ARCHIVED-Alienor Guest

I know how it looks :) as the lvl 52 Drawing of Souls generates this spell reliable as Siphoning Soul all others generates. Just checked yesterday again. But Siphoning Soul has not created a HoT spell for me since over a year now.
  8. ARCHIVED-Xil Guest

Alienor wrote:
    You might be missing the slot on your spell bar? I'd check your spell book I bet it's in there. All 6 Souls should be availible.
  9. ARCHIVED-Alienor Guest

No, I have free slots on my hot bars and in the spell books I have exactly and only 5 spells from Siphoning Soul, which is Ad3 if this matters. I'll petition it to find out if CS can see something odd if it is working for all of you.
  10. ARCHIVED-TumpieBrell Guest

Hmm, now that you mention it I haven't seen the heal either. And I use Siphoning Soul quite a bit for the above reasons.
  11. ARCHIVED-Xil Guest

Yeah not sure why you'd be missing it but I have all 6 and use them all regularly. Just used Soothing last night trying to help keep the healer alive on Varsoon in palace.. hehe. Fun fight.
  12. ARCHIVED-RakothX Guest

Amusingly, this isn't the first time I've heard of that problem - Only five 'Souls' spells out of six. It's something I've noticed too, for the longest time I knew /something/ was off in my spellbook... Then I realized I only have Flayers, Unstoppable, Feasting, Pestilent, and Servile Soul.
    I've been wondering if the problem wouldn't solve itself if I got ahold of the M1 version, as I'm running off AIII right now.
  13. ARCHIVED-Xil Guest

RakothX wrote:
    Yeah I have the Master version of the spell if that makes a difference... not sure why it would.
    It could be that you have another version of it in a lower tier as well. I've noticed that while mentoring I can get different versions of the same spell. Like I have 3 different Unstoppable Souls currently.
    But I have all 6 hotbar'd and all six refresh like they are supposed to for me either way...
  14. ARCHIVED-Alienor Guest

Right after release of RoK there has been an issue with this spell, that iirc even Ad1 version generated randomly master spells. This was soon fixed and since then the HoT is gone for me.
  15. ARCHIVED-RandomCarnage Guest

My adept 3 version of SoS was missing the heal, but DoS was fine. I upgraded to Master SoS and it fixed itself.

Incidentally, I run both SoS and DoS on my hotbars one under the other. It's handy having 2 of every spell, especially the 16% hp buffs for tanks, and the rest are useful too. Usually you can refresh at least one of each spell on either line and alternate.