Is it time to merge Maj'Dul... into somewhere else?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Cusashorn, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

The Maj'Dul server has crashed... I wanna to say around a full dozen times in the last couple of months, and I'm never hearing of such issues happening to other servers.

I admit I have zero knowledge of computer networking, but this seriously makes me wonder if the actual physical hardware used to house the server should be looked at.. and if perhaps it's time to merge Maj'Dul's server data into another server and replacing the hardware.
  2. dirgenoobforreal Well-Known Member

Most servers crash at least once or twice a week now and raid lag is not really getting any better either. Its odd because the game has never had this few players either.
  3. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Someone made the observation earlier that maybe it was time to clean up the forums. There's years old postings that are no longer relevant or add anything of value. Maybe if we trimmed the fat off the content in the forums and only kept the most recent and relevant material, that might save some wear and tear. You look at some of the material in there and it's gotta be sucking up a lot of storage space. Not least of which is much of it adds nothing to the what is actually going on in the game today.

For example, General Chat is 780 pages, the earliest dated 2012. Wonder how much of that could be cleaned out and save the hamsters.
    Breanna likes this.
  4. Erudinel Conceptualized a turd in a toilet sometime in 2005

The forums have nothing to do with raid lag, game lag, or the servers crashing...
    Avithax and Mermut like this.
  5. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

need to look at what you wrote earlier in order to find out that your suggestion is purely technical, and not what it's called to want to "cover your tracks" (perhaps many of us might now like to say differently than before, or keep silent without saying anything). no, this is not right solution. because only one who has past has future. on contrary, need to restore the old forum content, which is now closed from viewing. and this remedy will only contribute to popularity of game. as for problem of server hardware wear this depends on amount of data less than on other purely technical aspects, which could perhaps be improved without serious additional costs..
  6. parissa Well-Known Member

They need to replicate whatever they do for AB server... It rarely crashes and lag is not bad... Not sure about raids, since I don't raid... Maybe its just the low population... if its something other than that, would be nice if they could do the same thing to MD
  7. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Have no idea as I don't pretend to be an expert because I'm not. I do know when a HD starts to reach capacity, it slows down considerably. It doesn't make the idea a bad idea. Since you seem to know what it's not, I'd be curious if you had some ideas on what are the reasons. I haven't read much that that suggests there's a clear picture on this subject.
  8. Arclite Well-Known Member

Thurgadin was an abomination last week and still is.
  9. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Maj'Dul is the highest population Live server at the moment, so you'd be more likely to see other servers folded into MD rather than the other way around.

You do not have to merge a server to upgrade hardware. You'd set up the newer server, mirror your Live server to it, test, and then do a final update to get all the original server's data up to the moment, and just switch over. We've had some downtimes in the past during which hardware maintenance happened, they sometimes take a full day with it, but they know how it's done.

My impression is that MD just didn't get all the updates it was supposed to have and possibly a bug or exploit, and they brought it down to fix that stuff? Looking at the Friday Test Update notes, apparently something with overland PQs and the map was also deadly.

Hoping Tuesday gets us into better territory, in terms of stability!
    Cyrrena, Breanna, Hiza and 1 other person like this.
  10. Amalar The combined salt from all of SOE/DBGs fallen MMOs

I think the performance / crashing is more to do with the older game engine.

@Bhayar - The website/forum and the game are run from two totally separate machines/servers.

About file sizes: One page of text is about 4 KB in size in a word doc format, so even one million pages squished full of text would only be about 4 Gigabytes. You are certainly right about wanting some free space on your hard drive though, generally I have found leaving 20 gigs free keeps you running fine.

Also, for forums like this they are not storing posts in a word doc, so it should be even smaller than that.

edit: Just for fun here is part of what your post, including the quote you used, looks like behind the scenes:

[IMG]
  11. Faelfreeblood Active Member

You already only barely have enough servers to count on the fingers of one hand,, Cant afford to merge anymore. Least its one of each type. Looks bad for the game.
  12. Avithax Well-Known Member

Darkpaw makes thousands of dollars on players who "shop" on other servers so in response to the OP's question...I don't see mergers happening prior to sunset.