Is it time for a stat squish?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Camoeb, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Earar Well-Known Member

in some way if there is potency mitigation ... why not just squish potency ? I don't like feeling weaker while being stronger just coz of a hidden stat on the mobs
  2. Mermut Well-Known Member

For strats, figuring it out is fine. For 'you must be this tall to ride' mechanics... mystery is frustrating... at best
    ConcealFate, Mizgamer62 and Earar like this.
  3. Cragfire Well-Known Member

Yup agreed completely.
  4. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

It's been on "the table" since around 2010 when players backfired against the huge stat inflation that started happening around SF when potency was uncapped and then again in DoV when players were getting huge amounts of stats. It wasn't too bad until the game update with the 1000%+ potency gear.
  5. Taurisio New Member

I think this "stat squish" is horrible idea. The whole wording comes from WoW where they already implemented it twice. WoW totally lost the feeling of character progression with constant "squishes", "prunings" and other similar things.

Stat squish will break a lot of things. It will break feeling of progression, 14 years of character progression. It will break ability to solo old content. It will kill motivation to progress - why to progress if in a couple of years you will be at exactly same spot as you are now? Could as well just not bother with progressing altogether.

Horrible idea.
    Dude likes this.
  6. Beyoncia Well-Known Member

I disagree complitly, and I bet you have no idea about WoW and do not play it.

My WoW character grows stronger with every expansion and update; I can see and feel the result of every new item I equip.There is a huge difference between instanced (heroic in eq2 terms) and mythic raid gear (T3-T4 in our terms), at the end of the expansion raid gear is 2-3 times better. And it is the only one and the easiest example of progression.

I believe it's we who are lost the feeling of progression. Every Item is the same, just a bit more wisdom, potency, crit bonus. For most classes 80% of characterists on an item are useless: haste, dps, wdb, block, multiattack, flurry and so on. Crit bonus is only here for reforging or keeping it as means of conversion. Resistance is long forgotten, I'm not sure it even works and reduces damage at all. Combat mitigation is another example-lost and forgotten already, after one expansion. Resolve-the same: every item has so much that noone looks at that characteristics now. And so one and so forth.

No, the "feeling of progression" in EQ2 comes from several things that let you overcome road blocks. Grandmaster Ascensions, TS mount, orange runes, PoP necklace, SoH helm. These are the things that buffs your character significantly, to the degree that people without them perfom significantly worse and feel left out.

So, no WoW is a way better "progression feeling" wise, you are growing all the time, every moment of gameplay. Here you stack at a certain level and only jumping to a new level will make you better. And this very jump requires huge investment of time and/or real money. It's like evolutionary approach (wow) vs revolutionary approach (eq2).
    Toxify, Kuulei, Adoninilol and 2 others like this.
  7. Taurisio New Member

After 2nd squish basically there are no item upgrades from Lv.60 to Lv. 100, so green item from Lv.60 oftentimes is better than epic item from Lv.90. They also added global level scaling, so each time you level up, everything levels up with you, so as if you didn't level up at all. They went further by removing recent artifact system and implementing azerite system, but why bother with azerite system if it is 100% known already that it is going to be removed in 1-2 years too?

And unlike EQ2, WoW has no spell ranks (which has multiple horrible consequences because MP cost of spells increases with leave automatically and MP pool us static - huge degradation of systems in comparison to how it worked before), it has very sterile classes (whose mechanics being changed at least once a month and huge overhaul each expansion from very scratch, so that removes even more from character progress), it has no AAs, its new talent system is pathetic.

I totally don't want Everquest to degenerate like WoW.
  8. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

Kander recently posted somewhere on these forums they have no plans for a stat crunch.

Too late for that I think - too much spagetti in the game design.
    Rhodris, Mizgamer62 and Meneltel like this.
  9. Beyoncia Well-Known Member

As I've stated above you have no clue about WoW, but to each thier own. It's great if you like EQ2 in it's curent broken state, but apparently many people do not.

Yes, stats squish won't happen here. I'm sure of it.
    Adoninilol, Mizgamer62 and Meneltel like this.
  10. Kalika Well-Known Member

What eq2 need is a full stats reset, make item loose 2% per level and add 5 new levels.

Next get ride of the new deity system, make ascension irrelevant, let item ranking rot (this is so much like rune of magic ranking that was 1000% pay to win).

Rok model or if you want more progression (with a bit of item progression with gems) TSO/DOV model was fine.

Note that very possibly we have a weird gini distribution of the expenses, may be 1% off the players (hardcore pay2 win ones) generate 90% of DBG income. I estimate that it is possible from the number of fabled plus famillair looted in my guild, and also from frequent Ethereal famillar transactions on the general chat.

In such a case they don' t really care of getting back play for fun players since 1 pay to win is better than 10 play for fun.
  11. Dude Well-Known Member

TLDR version: They need to make a new game.
  12. rutro Well-Known Member

Why, when they could pretty much make a new game by creating a killer xpac next time. One that is similar to ROK, but is a new concept like ROK was at the time. I think that would totally revive this game...all it would take is something like the old zone- Emerald Halls to get this game back on track. Although, I do think ascensions should go away or get a drastic over hall. There are enough spells LOL!
  13. Dude Well-Known Member

I quoted a post. If you read it, the poster is suggesting so many changes made to the game that it would be, essentially, easier to just make a new game.
  14. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

It likely can't be for the fall release this year. Software has a development cycle: the front office people decide general things, the project manager has to figure out how many dev man-hours that's likely to take, then there's negotiation in various forms about technical feasibility, whether there's enough staff to handle all that and so on. Then coding starts at some point well before release, because some pieces have dependencies on others, internal testing, beta testing. All that takes time and way too many meetings before coding ever starts.

They might be able to accomplish some of this for next year, always assuming that the executive management wants to change direction.
  15. Siren Well-Known Member

This is something even huge dev teams completely mess up whenever they attempt it. Tons of gear and skills get chewed up by the Screwup Lawnmower.

Please refer to World of Warcraft's two stat squishes, the second of which just happened last month, for examples.

There are many thousands of items, skills and powersets in MMORPGs. Nobody's team, no matter how large, has enough manpower to go in by hand and adjust them all correctly. Thusly, giant, overarching "tuning knobs" are ham-fistedly programmed into these games, eternally messing up game balance.

Just say NO!
    Mermut and Dude like this.
  16. Legionair Member

I also agree with this, I mean you can't easily go from doing billions of DPS and adjust it down to where, your doing much less. They would have to change and adjust every single item in the game and when they did something like that before in Reverse where they boosted old items to be better for players to catch up, those stats were better then even the higher tier raid content, they failed and didn't adjust those so you were using mastercrafted gear from 2 expacs prior. This was many years back where they did a small stat inflation many years ago that benefited players that were leveling up and trying to catch up. So if they were going to stat Decrease, I would expect a big screw up of missed items and wrong adjustments on them. I don't see moving back as an option... I'd much rather see OLD class specific abilities that are almost obsolete to be useful again and keep moving forward instead.
  17. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

For those who remember LU13 when Desert of Flames originally came out, there were a bunch of combat and spell changes that had people wailing, gnashing their teeth, and throwing tantrums on the forums. Mobs, torches, pitchforks. But everybody got used to the new changes, eventually.
  18. Cragfire Well-Known Member

MMOs need an emergent artificial intelligence running the backend.. Would be interesting to see what Googles AI could come up with, or how it would manage things... or any number of AIs out there..
  19. Tru of Guk Member

I set up my 7 year old grandson with a free account and he makes lvl 100 free characters. It seems terribly wrong to me that he can solo Toxxulia who is a 98x4 raid mob (blue to him) in less than 10 seconds with the indestructable starter gear. So yes I do believe a stat squish is in order.
  20. Anaogi Well-Known Member

Stat inflation is the least of this game's problems. Things like hidden stats and mechanics that completely negate capabilities we've worked to earn, those are a little more problematic in my mind.
    CoLD MeTaL, Meneltel and Cragfire like this.