Is it possible to switch to a different class?

Discussion in 'Spells, Abilities, and General Class Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Amberli1, Sep 21, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Amberli1 Guest

Is it possible to completely switch classes? Not betraying, but for example switching a Wizard to a Ranger? My wizard is a 92 Sage, so I can't delete her, but I just can't stand playing the wizard...
    Thanks for any feedback!
  2. ARCHIVED-Ulrichvon Guest

3. ARCHIVED-Amberli1 Guest

Well crap. Thanks for responding though!
  4. ARCHIVED-Ulrichvon Guest

No problem, its been requested a bizzilion times for the exact reason you mentioned.
    The answer is, just roll a new toon, buy a cheap character slot if you need one, and keep your 92 sage and start a new ranger.
  5. ARCHIVED-Finora Guest

At one point we were told it was being looked into to allow crafters to change adventure class, but I do not think we received an official response back on it ever (though I may have just missed it).
  6. ARCHIVED-Rainy Guest

I think the offical response was basically they looked into it, and then noticed it was like 400000000000000000000x the amount of work compared to the TS version, and said nope, not gunna do it.
    mostly cause of all the different spells/aa/prestige/stat arrangements/character choices and so on that would all have to be changed/reset/redone if you opted to change classes.
    like for example:
    Wizard uses INT and STA, ranger uses AGI and STA. any character choice you picked based on being wizard they'd have to allow you to reset.
    all the grandmaster choices would have to move from wizard to ranger abilities and be reset.
    same for all your class/subclass/shadows/heroic AA and prestige points.
    class specifc quests (Epic/mythical/the revamp city storylines prolly) would have to be reset to let you do the new classes version.
    compared to the TS one, where:
    6 abilities get switched.
    4 quests need reset. (earring/Mara/SF TS for the clicky evac/prayer shawl)
    and that's it.
    the TS aas are the same for everyone. not class specific so no need to mess with them.
  7. ARCHIVED-Davngr1 Guest

Amberli1 wrote:
    it is very possible since if you ever have done a beta testing, you know that a lvl 1 toon with nothing is two clicks away for cap level, AA, myth conversion and whatever else. problem is that it would incite disapproval of people with rangers who leveled from level one. would not be fair to them and i love my wiz, so it is better to just level another character and keep your wiz on the back burner. you never know.. you might fall back in love with her in the coming expansion :)
  8. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

9. ARCHIVED-Resstful Guest

10. ARCHIVED-zehly Guest

In most cases, earning 92 levels of a class grants you some decent insight as to the nuances and workings of that class. If I could go from a 92 Wizard who has never tanked to a 92 Paladin whilst never having tanked a single zone before, that would be an injustice. Class levels are earned, and while betrayal lets you see "how the other side lives", some things just require the effort to level up. Consider that changing your tradeskill class will reset said artisan level to 9. If, however, you want to have the right to, because you're only max tradeskill, change your class because now you'd like to adventure, and are willing to give up all your experience, AA, status, etc... then that may not be all that bad.
  11. ARCHIVED-Ulrichvon Guest

zehly wrote:
    I hate to beat this dead horse, but soloing 92 levels on a paladin does nothing to teach you how to be a tank and hold agro.
    Just like soloing a wizard doens't teach you the first thing about how to dps the class effectively in group/raid scenarios.
    When you played cooperatively to level up, the above posters notions had merit, the solo to cap then start grouping that we have now does very, very little to teach the player how to play cooperatively. In the above posters case, nothing about agro management or mob positioning is taught via leveling up, and these are the 2 most important aspects of playing the class cooperatively.
  12. ARCHIVED-zehly Guest

Ulrichvon wrote:
    You're right.. I'm supposing a pre-mercenary scenario.. when grouping was generally the best way to level up.. oh the days.
  13. ARCHIVED-ZachSpastic Guest

For the posters who are completely confused, players have not been asking for the ability to change adventure class and keep their levels or AA points. Players have been asking to change their adventure class and start over at level 1 with a wipe of all previous adventure data.
    Anyone who actually believes this would be too much work has zero programming experience and zero database experience. Just delete the frackin data. I find it hard to believe that even an SOE employee could possibly have messed up the DB so badly that they can't make this happen without breaking the game. Another approach would be to copy the tradeskill data to a new record.
    The key step would be to bring back the original Commoner class, which should not have been removed when the archetype system was eliminated.
  14. ARCHIVED-zehly Guest

ZachSpastic wrote:
    It was never removed... just on a hiatus.
  15. ARCHIVED-Lortet Guest

ZachSpastic wrote:
    Actually, after the original players asked for the ability to change back to adventure lvl 1 ie start adventuring again, the waters became muddied as others decided that a class swap retaining level, aa points, quests finished etc was required. Effectively a derail.
    I like the core idea, but only in the form of an adventure reset to lvl 1, aa, quests, discoveries, achievements WIPED. Keep possesions, housing and crafting/tinkering etc.
    I don't agree with the belief that our characters are somehow linked in some obscure moral/ethical way to their adventure class. To those that do, good luck to them but don't preach to me. I have no concerns over how you play and deal with your characters, and would appreciate the same in return - ie if it was implemented and you don't like it, don't do it.
    btw, don't just tell me to buy another slot - I have 23 alts already lol.
  16. ARCHIVED-Leawyn Guest

There was a bug at the time that they changed a bunch of classes to neutral that allowed ANYONE (and I mean ANYONE) to change to an illusionist. I personally knew an inquisitor that did so. So their story that its too hard to make it happen was pretty much proved wrong, as it has happened before. Granted it meant the level didn't change, which for some reason people are against, but it IS possible to change from one archetype to another one without the game collapsing in on itself.
  17. ARCHIVED-Ulrichvon Guest

Maewyn@Unrest_old wrote:
    I think there are a bunch of quest issues that shake out if you go down that path.