Is EQ2... Dead?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Braxxton, May 29, 2015.

1. Ucala Well-Known Member

explain to me how me leveling fast ruined the game for other players.

I haven't logged in in months because I was bored with eq2 long before AoM and finally had enough. but like I said I logged in like 2 weeks ago to give it a go(during what I would think is a prime time I would think, afternoon weekend) and it was even worse than when I left. luckily my EU friend was online so I could atleast amuse him for the while I was on.

I did manage to get a group that day too. told them how bad I would be since I haven't been on since ever, new new gear or anything. Man I beat the bard on the parses sometimes too still.
  2. Kitkillem New Member

I don't think everyone wants or expects the same thing from playing MMOs. I find it odd that people do. Like a hugely overcrowded server like AB, no thanks.
  3. Breta Well-Known Member

cause leveling is such a great fun

/sarcasm
  4. Vainamoinen Well-Known Member

I can find a variety of groups at a variety of different times on Unrest. There are definite lulls & always have been. Population is down, but the game is far from dead on Unrest. Some servers I could see this being the case, but doesn't apply across the board.
  5. Kuulei Well-Known Member

See that is the issue I have...
    Rush to raid and when its done, immediately people log off and run to League of Legends! If they are logged into EQ2 they are also logged into that game. So that's why no was talking in the channels, just like Ucala, they were multi-tasking. Playing league or watching TV or a movie. :p:rolleyes:;)
  6. Vainamoinen Well-Known Member

Ucala's too busy humble bragging to play EQ2 anymore.
    Wirewhisker likes this.
  7. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

Actually leveling IS great fun when you have friends to do it with and group dungeons you can run TO LEVEL instead of only being able to run group dungeons at MAX level.

That imo is what is currently wrong with the game, everything is based on it being a total drag time sink to actually level so you can run dungeons only at max level.

People like Ucala, race to 100 in 3 hours, do all the dungeons in a week and then log off and don't play anymore. Fine, that doesn't affect me at all. BUT WHY does DBG cater to that crowd? When they CAN'T keep them interested. Instead of a HUGE playerbase that wants fantasy RPG and that is why we are here and why we will log in every day forever and PAY money for it.

I don't have the data, they do. So maybe the other side is really the paying people, but that isn't what I hear with my completely anecdotal information.
  8. Garravesh New Member

It does feel dead. I played up until year 9-10 and then became busy with life only to stop playing and started back up 2 weeks ago. While 1 server might be active it does not make the game alive IMO.

My buddies on WoW, which I do not play, say that it is still solid over there but far less then the golden days as well.

I remember the days of Matrix online and this feels remarkably the same towards the end when they cancelled it. vanguard was this way too.....

It is amazing that eq1 still runs with players.....I played until 2011 over there.

I was Lucan Dlere all those years....
  9. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

Matrix Online was my first MMO, and it was brilliant when Warner Bros owned it. When SOE took it over, it went downhill faster than an avalanche on steroids. Sad - I loved running the dungeons there (even with the horrendous rubber-banding lag), and outrunning agents :cool:

People have been saying EQ2 is dead/dying/on the scrapheap/about to be sunsetted for the last 10+ years (I started playing August 2004). I take it with a fairly large grain of salt these days.
  10. Wirewhisker Well-Known Member

Same here. Me and a guildmate, we started over with a couple of compatible classes and began playing based out of Freeport. Then another guildmate joined in. Then another...and we're running around Wailing Caves and Fallen Gate with our sliders at like 98% AA and having a hoot in level-correct gear, getting killed for overpulling and loving it.
  11. Thalador Active Member

That was the only thing that kept me playing was the friends I made. Then the game got too easy, people paid for lvl 85's with gear, power leveling, agnostics. There is no difficulty anymore. There is (usually) 1 good AA spec per class so the other abilities become moot. I loved this game for years, I weep for it now. I can't even bring myself to log in more than once a week and thats just out of a strange habit. I went from 6 accounts and 40 toons to logging into 1 toon.
    Mizgamer62 and Seefar like this.
  12. Tren Member

The game is pretty much dead, and the fact that you and a lot of other players play it because you've dumped so much time, effort, and money into the accounts - or you cannot find anything else that suits your tastes - doesn't really change that. There is nothing wrong with that, it happens in every game and will happen in every game until the servers shut down. I mean, going by your logic you can argue that EverQuest is tearing the charts up, but that's not the case and we all know that it started it's decline in 2004 and is just hanging on right now largely due to the Veteran Games, many of them are to EQ what you are to EQ2. It will be the same here.

When WoW finally dies out, it will be the same there. There were (are) still people playing Dark Age of Camelot, and the servers have been quite light (to the point that almost all of them have been merged) since like 2006 or 7 (maybe a bit, before then).

There are more players leaving than coming, and it's a virtual ghost town below near-maxxed level. I tried to get a friend to play when I was playing and he never logged in after the first day because it was a ghost town, and getting Power-Leveled by someone else is not enjoyable to a lot of people.

Raiding was fun, but after a while the wave of people quitting really started to wear as it became harder and harder for some guilds to even run their raids. Some guilds ceased to exist, because it was too hard to rebuild with the amount of drop off in the player base and the general volatility that brings.

There is nothing wrong with playing the game, and genuinely enjoying it, despite that. But don't delude yourself. The ship has sailed, long ago. The game was on a pretty serious decline all the way back to SF/DoV and maybe even a bit before then. Sad, because there's a lot in it that is first rate (lore, classes, etc.). But it is what it is.

Can't help that the EQ2 is some of the worst video game software I've ever encountered, either...
    Mizgamer62 and Thalador like this.
  13. Seefar Well-Known Member

Huh?*

The saddest part of all is that it can all be turned around by taking what exists already, putting it in the hands of folk who aren't of the mindset that the end game is all there is and making it available to the millions out there who've never even heard of it by a bit of spending on advertising.

If it's possible to get folks flocking to some of the mindless, inane pap on offer, it shouldn't be difficult to find new users for a quality product like EQ2. The biggest problem is that once they get here -- the place is full of** 'end gamers'! /eyeroll

*An expression of total puzzlement, not a request for elucidation.

** ... and developed by...
    Rhodris likes this.
  14. Leloes Well-Known Member

I will reiterate what I have said before no it isn't. Will it still be around a year year and a half from now? I don't know. My gut tells me that's very iffy. I hope it continues on for a long time but I'm not sure it will. I think t hat if they'd box it up as a single player game and to have add ons to it it would have a better chance of surviving . Just my opinion. I'm sure others will disagree with me.
  15. Hogarth Undead New Member

It certainly seems to be, at the very least, mostly dead.

-Trying to do level agnostics, i would que, wait 20 minutes or so, than end up with one other person and their merc, who would than leave.

-Less people logged into my server than currently watching a bunch of MMOs on twitch, many by a factor of 100 or more.(Destiny, Ark, H1z1, ESO, GW2, Terra, Eve, elite Dangerous, Warframe)

-No one streams eq2. I checked dozens of times in the last 48 hours and couldn't find a single stream.

-The numbers are bad enough that they (Daybreak) hide active users on steam and are talking about a type of server they have dismissed for years. They also clearly feel the need for server merges and shared dungeons. and they can see the actual numbers.

- Less subscribers to the subreddit than most other MMOs, less than SWGemu even.

-General chat (including lfg etc) over the course of 4 hours i closely observed for this purpose had plenty of newb bashing, elitism, racism and sexism, but 0 groups or friendly recruiting.

In conclusion i believe the game is mostly dead and in dire need of necromancy, and i have let my subscription lapse accordingly.

Thanks for the good times while they lasted at least, and best of luck with your necromatic rituals, i hope they can bring me back.
    Mizgamer62 and Thalador like this.
  16. Csipi Active Member

That is the main reason I dont sub for this game anymore. I checked out AB this week and yea this is exactly what I saw. The community in general chat is just way too toxic. Especially disgusting is seeing racist comments pop up in chat all the time. You get some stupid kid shooting up a church in the news and last thing I want to see when is a bunch of racist comments flash across my chat box while im trying to game.

It would be nice if daybreak actually had the staff to monitor such talk but reporting does nothing and that is just it for me. The cesspool chat is just a few of the many problems plaguing this game.
  17. Leloes Well-Known Member

What I used to like about this game is the players were mature and helpful. Here lately it seems we are being invaded by kids or very immature adults. Seems EQ2 is quickly going down hill.:(
  18. Thalador Active Member

I am on AB and don't forget all the SLR that goes on. That's all you see. "SLR <whatever generic item> 1k to start" and the bids go through the roof. So much plat and so little to do with it. Wouldn't it be awesome if I could trade in my plat for DB cash or actually use it for something useful.
  19. Leloes Well-Known Member

I need to hire a mercenary for my wizard but I'm finding it hard to make enough money to keep him every day unless I spend days and days harvesting. Sorry back to the subject at hand.
  20. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

I know this will never happen, but I wish they would no longer allow SLR. Doing away with SLR would encourage people to play the game to get their gear. As it is now, why play the game when you can just buy every thing? It would also discourage botters/plat sellers. People rush to end game, buy all their gear and then quit. This game is dying because of mismanagement on a variety of levels and management's reluctance to listen/acknowledge the concerns of the majority of players as opposed to listening to a select few. If this game dies, it won't be the fault of the player base.
    Seefar and Leloes like this.