Is EQ2... Dead?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Braxxton, May 29, 2015.

1. Braxxton Member

Is EQ2 dying?

I ended up not subscribing, despite my love for EQ2, because it just seems to me like the game is like... dead?

Barely any guilds recruiting in general chat, barely anyone around the starting and mid level zones...

It's like a ghost town?
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  2. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

Try Server Antonia Bayle.
  3. Losadunai Active Member

What ^^ he said. Go make a character on Antonia Bayle. Lots of people there.
  4. Braxxton Member

Okay. I will download it again this weekend. I deleted EQ2
  5. Ajjantis Well-Known Member

Antonia Bayle is the way to go.
  6. Kuulei Well-Known Member

Your sub is just not for EQ2 anymore. A membership ($14.99 / month or less depending on billing method) will also give you member access to EverQuest, EverQuest 2, Planetside 2, DC Universe Online and Dragon's Prophet!
  7. barakis New Member

Yup. That is the only reason I am playing is because I am subbing to DCUO. I wanted a break from it so I am trying this out.
  8. Molechaus New Member

If only there was as many newbies like Ragefire and Lockjaw in EQ1.
  9. Klowniish New Member

is splitpaw or valor good too? im currently on nagafen and im gonna switch today to a new server but i wanna make sure the server has people. so is antonia bayle my best option?
  10. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

AB is really the 'only' option.
  11. n0srek New Member

I'm curious how the AB population compares to Freeport? Is there a big difference these days?
    Wirewhisker likes this.
  12. Ynnek Well-Known Member

Yes. Freeport has slid down to being just a hair above the other regular US servers.

AB is indeed the only choice if you're starting out in the US. Even if you believe AB is 'too crowded', and the others are 'just right', after another three months of population slide, you'll still regret starting anywhere else...
    Mizgamer62 and Wirewhisker like this.
  13. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

EQ2 is dead. Hammer another nail into the coffin. Nobody plays it anymore. All those servers are running for imaginary players only.

Right.

As for choosing a server a heck of a lot depends on what time zone you will spend your playtime in. AB is US Pacific coast. GMT - 11 I think that is.

Edit: Yes lots of folks on non server times are there too. You should check out various servers though, not just blindly head for AB.
  14. Wirewhisker Well-Known Member

Totally dead. I looted the corpse and am now dripping with Dev Loot.
  15. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

I will only believe you when you show Kander's scalp!

Edit: Sorry Kander, nothing personal, just thinking hair...easy for scalping and...<cough> sorry.
    Belenos and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  16. Thalador Active Member

EQ2 is dead. RIP to a great game. DBG has blood on their hands!
    honeybush and Mizgamer62 like this.
  17. n0srek New Member

I tried a character on AB last night. There were around 20 low levels in the starting zone I chose which was great to see. I will likely be playing Freeport still as my girlfriend likes her characters there and I don't see using spending the money on the server transfer.

What was funny though is i got a mail message asking if I as a AB player wanted a free transfer to a "less" populated server. That message made me think someone is really out of touch with what the players want.

Though as a developer myself, I get a little bitter when my user base is constantly ******** on my product which may explain this "out of touch" feeling I got. I once had a product in it's second iteration with a major issue in production for almost a year due to bureaucratic bull ****, my hands were tied on delivering the changes the user base wanted and it almost sank the product.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing is happening here, I do hope those who are genuinely hating go sit in the corner for a bit and do something else with there time instead of flaming the forums/subreddit.. Perhaps within a few months issues will be ironed out, if not I hope you found something else you enjoy in your time away.
  18. Seefar Well-Known Member

Once again I feel the need to say:

AB? What is it about AB?

Oh, right, it's a 'roleplaying' server.

For a fantasy roleplaying game.

And it appears to be keeping the game alive.

So, who's keeping it alive?

Go fish.
  19. Darkfoz Active Member

Go Fish, the plat seller?
  20. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

It isn't 'roleplay' 'today', although it may have caused the majority of people to go there 'initially' and those are the kind of people that stay around 'hooked'. Now it's just the highest populated server and everyone new goes there, because population is king in an MMO. means other servers don't get 'new' people but they still have attrition, so the others 'die'. This is my first MMO and if I have understood that on day 1 I would have been on AB instead of where I am. I thought more people = more lag so I went to a lower server, worst decision possible.

See but also Daybreak doesn't understand their players(customers), or the ones that will still be here anyway, in my opinion. They are catering to the Super Mario crowd, when their bread and butter should have been considered the type of people that played old school D&D and read fantasy novels. We want to feel adventurous while not actually being heroic. We need new zones like Nek Castle where there was a feeling of mystery and puzzles and story and a reason to go stomp Everling. NOT just for that one time, but to go back and work on different heritages and help other people and a chance at bright loot, never a token. tokens suck. Nektulos style bores the people who spreadsheet their way to the best loot in 15 runs, but maybe there really are more of those people, anecdotally those aren't the people I run into but only DBG knows the numbers. Maybe the Mario crowd spend more DBC idk. Now the Mario crowd knows they can run the heroic instances x times for y tokens to get z gear to raid. (doing my calf-roping tie down and raising my hands in the air) done! beat you all to level x with y gear and z raid mobs down. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand they're bored. and bored people sit around and ruin it for everyone else while they monopolize assets that other people are just trying to get down the first time. So the game makers keep trying to make 'harder' games to keep those people down and the normal population gets thinner and thinner.

Or maybe Daybreak has it right and I should just read books instead of play games.