Is Armorsmithing and Weaponsmithing worthless?

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-shockofimpact, Jan 3, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-shockofimpact Guest

Can you get better armor and weapons with quests and dungeon crawls than you can with crafted gear?

I know food and drink is good but is weapon and armorsmithing worth it?
  2. ARCHIVED-erin Guest

shockofimpact wrote:
    I'm not sure if I can answer it the way you've phrased it. I make a fair amount of money making MC armor and weapons. Does that answer it? Yes you can get better armor and weapons with quests and dungeon crawls, but there's still tons of folks that want the MC gear until they can earn better.
  3. ARCHIVED-shockofimpact Guest

Thanks, but at what lvl? I am assuming you are lvl 80 and are making lvl 70 and 80 MC stuff for ppl until they get better, right?
  4. ARCHIVED-Calthine Guest

This statement is probably a little broad, but....
    Mastercrafted is not designed to be the end-all-be-all. Legendary will almost always be better - by design.
    Is it worth it? Sure! Can you get better adventuring? Also sure!
  5. ARCHIVED-erin Guest

shockofimpact wrote:
    Yes but I'm lazy. I know other crafters that specialize in level 30, 40, and 50 MC armor and they make decent profit on that.
  6. ARCHIVED-Seidhkona Guest

Currently, most lower level legendary and faled stuff (at least through T6) is not nearly as good as mastercrafted.
    I have a 35 weaponsmith, and I was started to find that I actually sell the plain old handcrafted weapons in carbonite and iron... not tons, but a steady flow. And when I harvest a rare, craft it into a weapon and put it on the broker, it sells.
    My armorsmith has never had any trouble selling mastercrafted plate armor. Chain moves sometimes but it's irregular. But plate always sells. I also sell a decent about of the Di'Zok Emblazoned Plate (level 77). But steel armor sells briskly! So does ebon and cobalt.
  7. ARCHIVED-StaticLex Guest

The tradeskills are really just good for twinking toons IMO. lol I mean most of the reason I made my tradeskill alts is so they have better-than-treasured garbage from whatever zone they happen to be running around. It's true you can occasionally make money when someone advertises for an adornment or suit of gear but in my experience you will always come out ahead adventuring for cash.
    Anyway I do have a 60 armorer and it was a very fine choice for a tank alt. I've been able to make myself decent gear in every tier so far and that has certainly paid for itself IMO. I can almost guarantee I'd never make a weaponsmith. There are so many decent legendary+ weapons on the broker for every single tier of the game that the tradeskill seems virtually worthless. The only time I can imagine someone makes money with that tradeskill is when someone needs a random adornment.
  8. ARCHIVED-Zehl_Ice-Fire Guest

Actually I was a raider untill a few weeks ago (need a break) and I have been using mastercrafted for dps gear on my Inquisitor. No it is not worthless, it just may not make all the fast plate like alchemists do, here's why:
    • some people with a top level and lots of plat will always be leveling babies and want the best gear for them.
    • some people (like me) level lock alts for various reasons and want the best gear for that level, I can't find what I want on the broker a lot of the time and have to look hard for rare WS & Armorers on my server
    • adornments
    • fashion (armorer mostly, though there is a feysteel & cobalt scourge I think look really cool, cat of 9 tails and I carry them because of that when standing around. See eq2traders for the cool looking armor for higher levels)
    • not EVERYONE is 80 in the game, and below top tier those MC weapons are really nice since the revamp, they were better than the Inquis mythical until IT got a revamp :)
    • I know people of both professions who do make decent plat, but it will require you checking the market to see what's missing that you can put up.
    • andd finally, if you enjoy making armor or weaps and still don't find it profitable, you can always use harvesting to make your plat
  9. ARCHIVED-Katsi Guest

Something I noted that is missing from this conversation - Some of that crafted gear also looks pretty nice, and is therefore desired for appearances.

~ Cerilynn