Is AOD an actual expansion?

Discussion in 'Expansions and Adventure Packs' started by ARCHIVED-Quicksilver74, Sep 13, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

DLC? Well technically that will depend on if it comes in a retail box or not, but I like calling this "expansion" DLC.
  2. ARCHIVED-Cratoh Guest

What sort of price tag do people think it will have, will it be able to be bought with SC? Also, the february thing - is THAT considerd an expansion as well, or a feature pack, and is that cash as well?
    I'm pretty confused right now, it seems to me that AoD should really be part of the feb 2012 'expac' not a thing to buy now.
    If I am rught in my thinking though, we pay for october and get february for free? If that is the case does it make people feel any better?
  3. ARCHIVED-Writer Cal Guest

Cratoh wrote:
    Cost?: No word yet, but I would guess the prices will be the usual. $29.95? $19.95 if we're lucky? Outside of special collector's editions.
    Purchased through SC?: I'd think that depends on how locked down the SC store is when this goes live. If it's locked down due to exploits and criminal activity, the chances of it being purchaseable though the store are much smaller.
    Feb Expac?: I haven't heard anything about getting an expansion in Feb. As far as I know, this is it until the next major expansion is announced. It's not a Feb expansion pack. It's a Nov. feature pack. People pay for the features this expansion, which will include a new class, dungeon builder, and some other stuff -- tested within a 16 day period, if my simple cruddy math is correct based on Isulith's Beta post -- and actual zones and quest content will continue to come through GUs as they have lately (where they get pushed to Live half broken despite the numerous bug reports from testers due to what I can only imagine is some forced schedule.)
    People pay for features in Nov, and if a GU comes out in Feb, then they get a GU in Feb.
  4. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

feldon30 wrote:
    I was wrong. It's a 2 1/2 week beta.
    Cratoh wrote:
    No offense but you're trying to invent/imagine/create something that doesn't exist anymore -- February EQ2 expansions.
    Sentinel's Fate slipped to February for several reasons including half the EQ2 team working on other games. Age of Discovery is a return to the November release schedule. People have more money in November than February.
    And since it seems to bear repeating:
    • November 2011 -- Age of Discovery expansion
    • November 2011 -- Game Update 62 : Freeport Revamp
    • February 2012 -- Game Update 63: more Velious zones, dungeons, raids
    • May 2012 -- Game Update 64: more Velious zones, dungeons, raids
    • August 2012 -- Game Update 65: Qeynos Revamp
    • November 2012 -- Game Update 66: more Velious zones, dungeons, raids
    • December 2012 -- end of the world, amirite?
    It's important to note that the new content is Velious zones, dungeons, and raids. There isn't any AoD "content".
  5. ARCHIVED-Shaolin Sam Guest

Crabbok@Unrest_old wrote:
    No. It's a game update patch that SOE wants you to actually pay for instead of getting for free.
    In all seriousness, AoD is probably SOE's first official RMT venture in terms of phasing out "real" expansions. Think about it. You're paying the full price you'd pay for a regular expansion and what are you getting?
    1) Unlock the Bea$tlord character class (put the "$" in there because it sounds Station Cashy to me...)
    2) 50 more AA's (fingertwirl)
    3) Dungeon creator that will be enjoyable to just about 1% of the population that's into playing EQ2 like it's Dress Up Barbie
    4) Mercs NPC's that were only created due to even SOE understands people are quitting this game left and right and it's an easy way to hide the fact that not many are playing. Shore up your group with npcs instead of actual people. To be fair... the npcs may actually play better than people in most pugs I've been in but that's besides the point.
    and......... that's it. Yay!
    Age of Di$covery. Gogo Patchxpan$ion! :)
  6. ARCHIVED-Nolrog Guest

Shaolin Sam wrote:
    I'm not sure how phasing out real expanisons is RMT.
    Have they announced the price yet? I haven't seen anything that said it would be full price.
  7. ARCHIVED-Shaolin Sam Guest

Honestly don't remember where I saw it written but Smokey posted it was going to be $49.95 iirc. I'll try and dig through the internet for the exact place so I can link to it but I really don't remember where I read it. I read a LOT :) Hehe.

I'll find it though! :)
  8. ARCHIVED-Tyrus Dracofire Guest

that didnt sound like new expansion, it feel like getting 3rd "Adventure Pack".
  9. ARCHIVED-Seidhkona Guest

Crabbok@Unrest_old wrote:
    I just signed up for closed Beta, and hope I'll get in. We all know that the actual content of an expansion varies as marketing says one thing while actual development may have other things happening.
    I expect 4 bajillion new Beastlords. I will probably play one in Beta if I get a chance at Beta. Not so much in real game, because I already have too many alts.
    The game is playable without buying the new expansions. If, when it's close to release and the actual contents are fairly firm, decide whether you want it or not, and then spend the money, or not. You don't have to be bleeding edge, Norrath is a huge place.
  10. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

Shaolin Sam wrote:
    This is the first I've heard of a price, and first I've heard that the price will be HIGHER than Velious was ($39.95). I look forward to the results of your research.
    By the way my prediction is $29.95 including a free character slot. Total speculation on my part.
  11. ARCHIVED-TwistedFaith Guest

Pretty sure this is the expansion that will finally make me quit EQ2. I have been playing since release and if there are no new AAs I see no point anymore in playing. I have zero interest in using a extra 50 AAs to increase some skill by 2.5% or some rubbish like that.
    With SWTOR out at Christmas this seems like a pefect opportunity to finally break free of EQ2. I wasn't even looking forward to SWTOR but the more I think on playing something new with all new players running around I have pretty much decided to give it a go. Bottom line is I see this expansion as nothing more than a money grab by SOE.
    Expansions should have content I get excited about.
    Does it have a load of new AAs, no.
    Does it have new lands/worlds to explore, no.

I am sure beastlords will be OP'd as much as possible but after years of playing I have no interest in leveling up yet another character, especially to hit the cap and realise there's nothing new to do at 90.
    I don't even run group instances anymore, there's no point, there's nothing in there I want from them and no way to improve my character now beyond raiding.
  12. ARCHIVED-Cisgo Guest

Last update was the AA revamp and the new tradeskill AA tab. One of the selling points of this "expansion" will probably be an increase in additional AA's to spend in the current trees. It is quite possible that Sony could have increased the AA limit last update to coincide with the new tradeskill tab, yet held it for a selling feature with this expansion. I doubt that any new AA abilities will be added considering the last update, (just a cap increase) however I hope that I am wrong.
    In my opinion there are several companies, not just Sony that are cutting corners on thier production and presentation. It is not just in the MMO industry either, it is spread throughout the gaming industry. There could be several factors and or excusses for this, most likely tied to the economy and cutbacks.
    As for Sony, I myself was a little disappointed in the DoV release. While they had thier customers focus on things like a flying mount, they again released raid mode content which featured an easy/hard mode. Now this may work in other games that have random loot generators to keep things interesting, however the item revamp coupled with the limited zone variations eventually lead to burnout for alot of players in a much shorter time span.
    I am reserved to the fact (and I hope that I am wrong), that this is an aging game, running short of ideas, suffering from economy cutbacks and cutting some corners along the way in productivity in order to sustain. Again, I hope this is not the case, but until I see the game return to it's standard that it has set not only for itself, but the entire MMO world, I can draw no other conclusions at this time.
  13. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

Cisgo wrote:
    One problem. Most classes don't have anything worth spending AA points on after about ~280. The current cap is 300.
    300 + squat = squat.
    Cisgo wrote:
    I don't think they fully realize how the game is being played. And unfortunately, talking to a few devs at Fan Faire, they hardly get any time to *play the game* anymore as they are working long hours and weekends trying to meet the absurd schedule.
    It's obvious there is no time to test content, no time to fix content as they're too busy moving on to the next thing.
    It's time to stop, take a breath, and evaluate where the game stands, how people are playing it (including the fact that the level 1-89 game is totally different from the level 90 game and the former ill prepares players for the latter), and what is needed to keep players interested.
  14. ARCHIVED-Cisgo Guest

I do agree that most classes do not have 300 optimal AA points to spend, however that is a seperate issue. What I meant was that the last update introduced a brand new 25 pt. AA line without increasing the AA limit. So someone with 300 AA prior to the last update would have to remove from thier current lines to add to the new one. (If they had an interest in both tradeskill and adventure).
    My guess is that those 25 AA points were held from last update to help sell this expansion because there isn't many other attractive aspects to fully justify an "expansion" this time around. Like I said I hope I am wrong and get a pleasant suprise in a few weeks.
  15. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

So it's for crafters only.
  16. ARCHIVED-Pewtriid Guest

While I have nothing to back this up, and thus must admit that this is pure opinion, I am VERY pessimistic about this "expansion". In my mind, and from what I've seen, paying for features is nothing more than a step, a very LARGE step, towards the F2P model of gaming. It's one that I am personally against.
    Having said that, I have to ask what is SOOO special about the "features" that are being thrown out concerning this whatever-you-call-it that would entice me to spend more than about 15 bucks on it? All of the things I've heard are going to be in it just make me go "Meh, not worth it." AA points? whatever. Beastlord? I may try one. After all, tried one in EQ1 and didn't really like it. The dungeon thing? Not even gonna mess with it....From what I've read, you don't take your own toon in, so who cares? Mercs? Uh, isn't that why I have guildies, that like to group up? And that are friendly? And that like to help each other? SURE, I may haveto wait 10 - 15 minutes while they finish up what they're doing, but then they come along, we have fun, and the update for the quest is mine. And I do the same for them. To me, Mercs just kinda signify that the game is bleeding subs right and left.
    Now, maybe I'm wrong about this. But WHERE ARE THE PRESS RELEASES ABOUT WHAT IS GOING TO BE IN THIS THING? Where is the promotion? It's about to go to beta, so it stands to reason that the features are locked in. And didn't SJ say not too long ago that EQ2 was gonna get some marketing love? So, where is it?
    All of the above is what has me wondering if it's even worth CONSIDERING getting AoD. I actually think it might be more worth while to just get a pizza and some beer! I've spoken my thoughts, my impressions, my opinion, my view....and again say I have no facts to back me up. Laters!
  17. ARCHIVED-Kenazeer Guest

TwistedFaith wrote:
    I am really not in Lore that much, but it is striking to me that they couldn't even be bothered to create a new storyline for the "expansion."
  18. ARCHIVED-Yimway Guest

feldon30 wrote:
    Glad to see others chiming in on this. Its a huge problem in retaining new players that sample the game, this 1-89 vs 90 thing.
  19. ARCHIVED-Shotneedle Guest

I'll create a new 50 point aa tree for all classes in a week or two for a couple hundred bucks.
  20. ARCHIVED-Gaealiegen Guest

SOE's advertisement model is unique, you have to love that much!
    Ever heard of any other world-renowned company putting out products with absolutely no information about the products? Nor have I.
    All the evidence we've received from the beginning of TSO to current has pointed toward a sinking ship. The leak may be small, but in 2011 we've taken on enough that you can't ignore that your legs are wet.