Is AOD an actual expansion?

Discussion in 'Expansions and Adventure Packs' started by ARCHIVED-Quicksilver74, Sep 13, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-Quicksilver74 Guest

Do you consider Age of Discovery to be an actual expansion?

Personally I don't. It's a feature bundle that you have to pay for, and to me, that is not an expansion. Here's the things I expect from an expansion: (Don't need all of them, but gotta have SOME at least)

New AAs
    New levels
    New Quests (Heritage, Signature, Epic)
    New Races
    New Overland ZONES
    New Raids
    New Dungeons
    New Weapons
    New Spells/CAs
    New Art

Age of Discovery has none of these things. It has some cool stuff, but IMO has nothing you need to continue playing competitevly with the rest of the community. So what do you guys think?
  2. ARCHIVED-kdmorse Guest

I thought it did have new AA's. At least an increase in the AA cap....
    Am I wrong? Please don't tell me I'm wrong. It's the one thing I was looking forward too...
  3. ARCHIVED-Kizee Guest

No, and if there was no AA bump then I wouldn't bother buying it. I don't care about anything else that is in it.
  4. ARCHIVED-Nrgy Guest

Crabbok@Unrest_old wrote:
  5. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

The ONLY reason AoD has an AA cap increase is because most people wouldn't buy it otherwise. It has a lot of features most players don't care about and no content that we do.
    I also agree that it isn't an expansion - old adventure packs were more fully featured than this supposed expansion.
    Also, Plane of War is the only new raid content until March, just saying~
  6. ARCHIVED-Celline-Layonaire Guest

....At least this AoD expansion won't be same old, same old thing, right? I'm already psyched and wondering about what set of features will make it into the next exp.

(but yeah I also don't think AoD is an actual expansion)
  7. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

Is there even a website about what is in it up yet?
  8. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

Zabjade wrote:
    They never produced a website for Destiny of Velious. There were barely any official articles. Just a few webcasts.
    To date, there is no website at http://destinyofvelious.com/
    I expect we'll see a couple articles on EverQuest2.com and a few 20 minute webcasts, a 3 week beta, and then bam it will be out.
  9. ARCHIVED-Dekedar Guest

Gaige wrote:
    It is not an expansion.
  10. ARCHIVED-Lera Guest

Yes, it's an expansion. Expansion means new stuff - doesn't have to be only adventure content. People who raid aren't the only ones who play EQ2.
    Whether you think it's worth buying depends on whether or not you like the new features. But that doesn't make it not an expansion.
  11. ARCHIVED-Kamimura Guest

Lera@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    I don't do any end game raiding. This still doesn't feel like much of an expansion to me. Yes, there are some features that I'm looking forward too, but there just seems to be a lot missing. Expansions in the past came with a lot of neat new features, and they came with new zones (with crafting, solo, group, and raid content) and all that. It just seems a bit half done from the information they've put out so far. If there's a lot more coming, it'd be nice to know that sooner rather than later. I mean, it's not like there's a lot of time left to expansion launch...
  12. ARCHIVED-CorpseGoddess Guest

They're expanding the game. New content = more stuff to do. Just because it's not the same exact flavour of expansions that have come before doesn't mean it isn't an expansion. Just because it doesn't automatically catch everybody's attention right off the bat before it's released doesn't mean it won't be fun or successful. I, for one, am glad for something different coming about.
    So I consider it an expansion, yes.
  13. ARCHIVED-Gladiolus Guest

No new lands, no level cap increase, nothing of any interest. My characters aren't any better for the last 50-point increase in AAs, so that doesn't hold any attraction. No, I don't see it as an expansion and I can't think of any reason to buy it.
  14. ARCHIVED-Kenazeer Guest

Any other game I have ever played, and this one up until now, a new expansion meant a new major storyline to go along with all the other trappings. Let alone are they not giving us all the other trappings, they can't be bothered with a new major storyline either, so no, I do not consider this an actual expansion. They can call a Yugo a Beemer all they want, it still doesnt make it a Beemer.
  15. ARCHIVED-Wurm Guest

DLC? Yes. Expansion? No.
  16. ARCHIVED-Shrell Guest

DLC is the direction that most game providers are going with now.
    I look forward to buying the beastlord class.
  17. ARCHIVED-Yimway Guest

The fact SOE hasn't responded to these types of questions speaks volumes to me on how much they plan for and value the franchise.
  18. ARCHIVED-Undorett Guest

Can someone post a link to a dev saying we get more AA? Last I heard was straight from xelgad's mouth at FF that we MAY get more AA but he wasn't sure, and if we did they would not be new, just increase the cap of current AA. He also said that the heroic trees are balanced to his liking and that if more AA were added we would not be able to add to that tree. This was said between panels to maybe tenish people. It is being talked about as if it is fact that we are getting more, has it been confirmed? Can't wait to spend 10 AA to boost my shield effectiveness by 12%!
  19. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

Atan@Unrest wrote:
    Fixed it for you.
  20. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

Undorett wrote:
    [IMG]
    http://eq2wire.com/2011/07/08/live-...ort-and-beyond/