Is anyone playing from Ecuador?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by raengrey, Oct 29, 2014.

1. raengrey New Member

(Forgive me if this is the wrong forum. Moderator, please move this post if so.)

My gaming buddy may be moving to Ecuador, and I was wondering how possible it is to play EQ2 (or any MMORPG, for that matter) from there. Are there latency issues? Frequent service outages? Can you use Ventrilo or similar apps to communicate? Also, how expensive is a decent connection?

I would love to hear anyone's experiences. Thanks!
  2. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't know anyone from Ecuador or anything but thought I would mention an experience of mine.

I looked up where Ecuador is, and its not all to far from the US. I had a friend from the UK get on the US servers and he was fine, no lag or anything. And I believe the UK is further away. No idea how the internet is in Ecuador though, but if that is fine then he should be fine playing from there as my friend from the UK had no issues. Oh yea he also played on the LOTRO US servers and was fine there as well, even with voice chat. I would think other voice chat programs should be fine as well.

This probably don't help, but thought I would at least let you know that much in case you don't find anyone from there or close to :)
  3. raengrey New Member

Thanks for the reply. I guess it's possible that if there's no latency from U.K. to a U.S. server, then there won't be from Ecuador, I don't know enough about the subject.

I'm more concerned though with what I've heard are the Internet speeds down there. As in 3 Mbps/1 Mbps download and upload. Seems pretty grim compared to what I have here in the U.S. I just wonder if the game's playable at those speeds.

I do appreciate the reply though.
  4. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

Oh EQ2 is more than capable of running off a 1mbps connection. Don't have to worry about that part. Now if it was dialup, then you would wanna worry :p