Is AB a dead server?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Vashaar, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Spat New Member

Better chance of contested mobs being up, smaller community feel, quieter with regards to chatter. My personal preference is small, but not to the point of being the only person on the server. Understandably, most prefer more crowded and I totally get it. I've never played for the community aspect of the game though which most others probably enjoy - I play solely for the game aspect.
  2. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

What is your issue with them being merged onto us? And leaving us as we are? Isn't the result the same in the end?

I already went through all the merges to get from LDL to Maj'Dul. The merge to get from RtT to AB. Now the merge to get from FG to AB. Personally, I have had my share of merges from somewhere to somewhere else and I am sure others have as well. This time, if a merge were to occur, I would prefer to be the server that gets to keep their feet on the ground and let other servers land on us, besides FG.
  3. Lilyann New Member

Cyrrena What guild you in. I am going to take a leap of faith and roll on my favorite server AB. I would like to get into your guild if I can.
  4. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Wait, what? I started on LDL, and I was never given an opportunity to opt for AB, they just merged us willy-nilly into Crushbone in 2011, then into Maj'Dul in 2015. Legends of the Tundra was really into RP, and we lost people to AB who bought transfers, or just made new toons on AB (as well as losing people to time and waning interest).

To this day I still gripe, because they SHOULD have merged LDL into AB.
  5. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I think they should have merged LDL to AB as well. I have 8 on one account 11 on another account on Maj'Dul, I was not going to lose my guild so they went through the merges and landed on Maj'Dul, I did transfer one character from Crushbone to AB, the rest took the merge rides, I did not have the option to transfer to AB either.
  6. Vilento New Member

yes, the result would be the same as far as i'm concerned. but from where i stand, AB is the server in desperate need of help. AB is where people cant play the game to it's full extend anymore, so I'm not gonna stand here suggesting that another server with a healthy number of players should be merged (and forced) onto ours so we can enjoy the game again. I instead would go for the humble approach suggesting we need the help, we need the change, so we should be willing to pack our bags and move on.
    Soara2 likes this.
  7. Bella222 Active Member

I love AB. I have probably 20+ characters there from all of my accounts and just made 2 new accounts for my 2 grandchildren who now love Everquest. However, I am not playing as much at present as I am trying out Kaladim. I think many folks are trying out Kaladim but will come back to AB for special events etc. We just are not a raiding server primarily at the moment. Grandchildren can't raid. And it is nice to not be so crowded. I get tired of Kalidim sometimes because there are so may people looking for the same mobs. AB is nicely populated. Probably not for heroics but for regular players.
    Praaji, Soara2, Cyrrena and 1 other person like this.
  8. semisus Does not play this game

So i looked up eq2 wire with the filter lvl 110/350 no counting anon players
    On AB 4458 players
    Skyfire 7170
    Halls of fate 9723
    Maj Dul 11700

Now on Ab many of those players are not doing heroics ( can tell by being on server ) as we have far more % of decorators/rp/solo people

We could merge with skyfire and that would increase the player base enugh that it would not be a higher populated server than maj dul
    As for the remarks about contested mobs , and im assuming older ones i i would really just prefer if we could ask DBG to make these respawn quicker
    You also have to look at it with the health of your player base , continue and do nothing and more people will just quit since they are unable to find a grp or raid are unable to find new recruits ( which has already happened )
    Soara2 likes this.
  9. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

So i looked up eq2 wire with the filter lvl 55/175
    On AB 90175 Characters
    u.eq2wire.com knows nothing about the number of players, only about amount of noted characters. How many players make so: "Log into the EverQuest II game client with the character you wish to hide and press the C key (or P if you still have the original key binding) to access your Character/Persona screen. Click the "EQ2 Share" tab on the left side and uncheck "Enable EQ2Players Updates". This will opt your character out of all API-driven EQ2 websites"? You can count also me with my characters. So. Anybody except DBG does not know how many to the people on AB. Sometimes because of narrowness mine stumble about others, and others about mine, and sometimes it seems to me that there is nobody except mine. If we don't know how many unique inputs are carried out per day on the server that as we can draw conclusions about the number of players here? Especially at first it's needed to browse attentively data from start of this server till this day. So it's subjective reasonings, about that this server is dead or continues to breathe
    Soara2 and Cyrrena like this.
  10. semisus Does not play this game

You make no sense , by my filter i can see people who are or until recently played the game, even decorators or rp will likely have a 110 char due to free bost with getting latest expansion
    Was really just trying to show how unpopulated this server is compared to the 3above listed.
    Your search can litteraly go 15 years back and id bet 99% of those players your search goes for are no longer playing
    Soara2 likes this.
  11. Kuulei Well-Known Member

Is there anyone left to make general chat "toxic"? I bet if you joined GC again, it would be a pretty quiet channel these days.
    Soara2 likes this.
  12. Kuulei Well-Known Member

What "killed" AB was the server merges of 2015 (consolidation):

The guild I raid with was on Everfrost and we were struggling in recruiting members for months. So we decided to move to AB, the most populated server. It was great! We were filling our raid force and then some.
    Less than 4 months later, DBG decided to merge the servers. Since AB wasn't going to be merged and many posted it wasn't "fair" that other servers were merging and their members were being offered free transfer tokens to move to the server of their choice after the merges, DBG gave in and offered the same tokens to AB players (big mistake imho).
    The "Adventuring" player-base of AB halved in under a week along with casual players, pretty much killing off the viable "current-content" players that were there.
    As the current-content players all but disappeared, even more started leaving and we had to make a painful decision: If we wanted to keep raiding, we HAD to move again.
    So <Advocatus Diaboli> made the jump to Maj`Dul and became <Advocati Diaboli> and I believe that started another exodus off AB as some of our friends decided to move off the "dying" AB server as well.
    Cyrrena, NrthnStar5 and Soara2 like this.
  13. Soara2 Well-Known Member

yes, merge AB with Skyfire. Yall will love the community there!!
    NrthnStar5 likes this.
  14. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I have played with you prior Kuulei on RtT and fully respect your opinion and remember when you had to make the decision you made and how tough it was for you.

To this day, creating a character on AB will get you an in game mail that asks you that if offered, would you like to transfer to a less populated server.

General chat is still toxic. We have players from IoR come and advertise their guilds attempting to get people to transfer to their server. We still have one particular troll that you will remember as everybody does with great disdain, he has not transferred. And whether any servers are merged into AB or AB is merged into another server, everybody will have to put up with him until they all learn of him and put him on ignore and then learn his alts and put them on ignore as well, and then learn his cheerleading team and put them on ignore as well.

I still stand by my position. I personally have gone through my fair share of being merged onto other servers and would prefer to be allowed to keep my feet err server on the ground this time and have others merged onto my server. But I feel that DBG knows the numbers and they will do what is best for whatever servers will be involved should any further merges be required and I will respect and accept those decisions when that time comes. Until then, I will enjoy my server where it is, I will continue to bebop about harvesting, questing, and decorating, doing the holidays and events and whatever else I can and want to do.

Good luck to all wherever you may be and enjoy your journeys in Norrath, the point is to have fun and only you can decide what is fun for you.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Soara2 like this.
  15. Breanna Well-Known Member

I've been through the server merges too of course. Started on Faydark, merged to Befallen, who merged to Oasis, who merged to Maj'Dul SIGH It hasn't really hurt me in any way though, me and my army of alts live on.
  16. Melkior Well-Known Member

Something worth remembering, the last big round of mergers, EVERYONE moved servers. Skyfire, Maj'Dul, and Halls of Fate didn't exist previously. In the end it's really all semantics, but it seems to me people did better with that approach then when one server was rolled over to another.
  17. Clintsat Well-Known Member

Merging AB into Skyfire doesnt really help Skyfire as all the heroic+ folks on AB already left for other servers.

I doubt it is possible, but a raid guild rebalance on the servers would be the most healthy thing to do. Or maybe do a visa/sponsorship system for the raid guilds to get new players from other servers for free.
    Soara2 and Cyrrena like this.
  18. Hartay Keeper of the Server Hamsters

Players often confuse people sitting in a house crafting or decorating as dead. AB isn't known for its thunderous engagements in a raid instance.
  19. semisus Does not play this game

Not all the heroic + folks have left , there just aint that many of us and the ones that are left have cliqued up so people have a really rough time getting grps , forcing people to either stop trying to do heroics or leave
    The issue is also you have people coming back to what used to be the most populated server and then seeing a server thats "low populated" , thinking screw this and quit soon after
    Soara2 likes this.
  20. Berret1 Member

Oh that's good to know! I'm jumping in again and it would be nice to have a friendly chat that I can lurk around while playing! :) .
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Soara2 like this.