Interview with Lead Designer Akil “Lyndro” Hooper on Game Update 63: SKYSHRINE

Discussion in 'Community News' started by ARCHIVED-Piestro, Mar 20, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Geothe Guest

Eschia@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Yep, alternate advancement. As in there are alternate ways you can spend the points you earn.

it isnt called OPTIONAL advancement. Its still required to not suck at the game.
  2. ARCHIVED-Cabral Guest

Geothe wrote:
    Gear is also required to not suck. Why don't we require that everyone have a minimum gear score to level past 90? Let's grade how you spent those AAs too. If you don't have a minimum grade, you can't level past 90.
    You won't stop people from sucking. You will tie two different mechanics together in a needless manner to avoid actually looking what's important to not suck. Want to queue up for ISK? Do you have the mitigation, crit chance, hit points, avoidance, et al to not suck? No? It's not available. Yes? Go for it.
  3. ARCHIVED-Raknid Guest

Cabral wrote:
    Lots of people thought a gear score for the DF was a good idea. It almost seems like the devs did too, and instead of trying to work the code to get one they took a much simpler route. I think it was a stroke of genius, and that is saying something because I haven't been very high on SOE lately.
    The fact is that if you are "casual" you will have access to all the old content that was suited for you, AND all the new content that was designed for you, at level 90. There is no need whatsoever to get to 92.
    The only thing that will be "kept from" you is content that you have no business being in.
    Besides being able to say "Look at me. I'm 92." what exactly is it that you think you stand to gain from being abel to get those levels?
    What do you stand to lose if you don't get them?
    NOT A SINGLE FREAKING PERSON who has whined about this change has answered those questions, or their variants, yet, even though I have asked them multiple times over multiple threads.
    That just leads me to believe there is absolutely no validity at all to their objections since they cannot quantitate what they stand to lose in an meaningful way.
    Want to give it a shot? Who knows, we might change our mind. "Just cause" isn't going to cut it for persuational purposes though.
  4. ARCHIVED-Rathorius Guest

Raknid wrote:
    One possibility, (my main has 320 AA - so I'm not whining about not being able to do it), is that they haven't said whether the at cap xp bonus will apply at 90 (which was the cap for DoV) or at 92. If they shift it to 92, that will anger quite a few people. If they leave it at 90, then I don't see an issue.
    However, it would also work if they instituted some sort of check that you could do to view someone's AA before inviting them to a group. This puts a little bit of a burden upon those that don't want any of what they call "scrubs" in their group to actually check the persons AA, but it is still a valid route. I know that many (or at least many on the forums) peeps want an easy way to tell if someone has a decent amount of AA - the announced method would allow that. They could also retroactively place an AA check on the doors of the dungeons.
    The point is, there are many different options, some easier than others, but all are still valid options.
    Lest you think that I am talking about other options for myself, I'm currently lvl 90 with 320 AA, and I'm a Necro in a guild that currently raids seldom, at best. It isn't like I'm even going to see non-guild groups unless they stop hamstringing my class.
  5. ARCHIVED-Raknid Guest

Rotherian@Unrest_old wrote:
    I think they should leave the bonus at 90 personally, at least this time around.
    I think this was done primarily to help build groups through the DF. That said, it was much easier to simply handle it through the means they have instituted rather than writing the code for people to check AA, since self-formed groups would probably already have some kind of vetting process, or to write the code for the DF AND the dungeon door to check for some kind of AA levels.
    I agree about the many options, it looks like SOE took the simplest route to achieving that end. I would have trouble thinking of an easier solution at least.
  6. ARCHIVED-Cabral Guest

Raknid wrote:
    By not levelling to 92, you lose access to the level 91 and 92 spells/combat arts. You do not have the ability to equip level 91 and 92 gear, regardless of the quality. Get an Heirloom drop that your main can't use but your alt can? Too bad, the alt doesn't have AAs to equip it. What happens when the level difference becomes greater? 91 - 94? 91 - 96? 91 - 100? Are you going to keep everyone's alt's stuck at 90? Are you going to keep them from equiping even handcrafted, treasured, mastercrafted, and legendary equipment? If not immediately with the new with new GU, then eventually, you'll run into new research assistant recipes that your alts can't use because they don't have enough AAs to level high enough to use it. It's not just about the immediate impact. It's about the precidence and the impact as the trend is extended beyond the next GU.
    What do you gain by preventing me from levelling all my alts to 92, assumming the developers find a different way to prevent people with too few AAs from accessing the heroic content? There is no validity to your objection to keeping two different advancement mechanics independent of each other. Whether I am able to access the solo content, the overland zone, the solo versions of the instances, whatever, has no impact on you. The Devs can still design the solo versions of instances to a certain minimum number of AAs, minimum gear quality, etc and if I access it and suck because I don't have the chops, that's on me. My ability to access higher level equipment and abilities does have an affect on me.
    It's also about the potential for SOE to screw it up. I already talked earlier on about by concerns about AA and exp switching between hitting level 90 and 280 AAs. When SOE merged crit chance, they screwed up heal crit on fighters.
    Want to try a persuasive argument instead of dismissing you opponents as whining?
    My main is set to level to 92. My other alts are not. I play for a few hours a week. If this change goes through, I will be able to get some alts up to 280 AAs and level 92. I will not get all of the up by the time the next level increase.
    "Play the way you want to play" as long as it is the same way we want you to play.
  7. ARCHIVED-Raknid Guest

Cabral wrote:
    The content that is aimed for level 90 is tuned to level 90. So, as far as spells/CAs, you are basically losing out on the option of making the content which is designed for you, for casual play, more trivial? The gear for level 91 and 92 are designed to be used in heroic content at those levels. If your alt can't equip them it is because he doesn't need them. Again, you lose out on the option of making the content which is designed for you, for casual play, more trivial?

You are basically just saying that you are missing out on the trappings of being above level 90. That kinda goes without saying.
    I still have not heard what content you will miss out on that is designed for your playstyle? That is what I want to know. What are you actually missing? You are not being barred from it. As a matter of fact there is content designed JUST FOR YOU.
    The only thing you are missing out on is the chance to make it slightly easier. Cry me a river; it is casual content for goodness sakes. The only people WHO need the level 91 and 92 CAs/spells, the prestige talents, and the level 91 and 92 armor, are those people who are tackling content which is designed with those requirements in mind. If you aren't planning on doing it, on your main or on your alts, then you don't NEED it at all. You may want it, you may covet it, but you certainly don't need it.
  8. ARCHIVED-Rijacki Guest

Raknid wrote:
    To re-iterate this, I've been working on Rijacki's AA by working on the quest lines in DoV I hadn't gotten 'round to doing on her (-I- like questing). I have also spent some time on Test in the new zones. The new overland zone is roughly equivalent to Eastern Wastes as far as the level of the mobs and probably even their difficulty. If you can kill stuff in EW, do quests in EW, harvest in EW, etc. you should be able to do so in Withered Lands at the same level you are now. If you struggle in EW, then you'll likely struggle in WL.
  9. ARCHIVED-Dethdlr Guest

ALTERNATE as in you have ALTERNATIVES on how to use them to advance. Not alternate as in they are optional to advance. If you don't get more AAs, you're not advancing.
    Are you able to experience the current "endgame" content today with less than 280 AAs without negatively impacting the people in your group or raid? Are you running the Drunder instances and EoW with less than 280 AAs? Are you raiding DoV content with less than 280 AAs? If so, are you doing so without being a burden on your group/raid?
    You make it sound like this change will lock you out of content that you would have been able to do if only you were level 92. It's not. It's locking you out of the same thing that you're currently locked out of: content above your character's abilities. Increase your character's abilities with additional AAs or don't do the endgame content. You seem content with that now because you can say you have X number of characters at level cap.
    Sorry, but soon after the change goes in, everybody will know that some of those alts at level 90 (mine included) are mere shells with low AAs and not full fledged endgame content ready characters.
  10. ARCHIVED-Tigerr Guest

This is honestly why we cannot have nice things. Something was put in game that wont have any negative impact on the casuals... Considering well, DoV has been out for over a year. I just love it how they see the gear from the new zones, they LOVE it, the casuals feel its a gear reset.... Completely embracing this inflated gear ... When they should have said "hey, this isint progression" But when there is a LEVEL LOCK ( GOD FORBID) Everyone starts posting about how this is a bad idea. Seriously?... Eq2 is easy enough, and to be VERY honest with you... If you play once a week, and have not progressed through the CURRENT content, then you really have no business in the new HARDER stuff that is comming out... Solo zones are done just fine by a lvl 90. If you dont have 280 AA by now, you wont even be able to do EoW + Drunder Heroic , which is endgame HEROICCCCC content in the current expansion. I have learned that a Min/maxer is now someone who actually tries at the game, instead of decorating all day and complaining that they not being included. These sort of posts make casuals/super casuals look horrible, really. Eq2 is easy as it is... and you dont have to be a min/maxer., dedicated raider, have OCD to be able to level/AA. I've just realized , after reading all the posts and all this casual feedback, that apparently all the casuals want an "IWIN" button. There should be no progression, everyone should have the same gear. And in their world, everyone should run raids ( but ONLY ones they can win without wiping because well, thats the hardcores job lawllll) I'm really sick of this attitude, I really am. All you are doing is whining and complaining.. After every...single...update, there is atleast 1 complaint that there is no IWIN button. If you play once a week, thats great... I can accept that, but this content is not going away, its not just here for alittle bit, its going to be here for years. I really doubt you finished all the content in the current DoV1... Yet you want to skip all the way ahead?... Why do you want to be able to do EVERYTHING THE DAY IT COMES OUT OMGGGG... GU63 is supposed to be in a linear progression from the first expac.... So yknow, finish current content before you skip to the new shiny stuff.. Just because someone plays once a week it doesnt entitle them to an "ILEVEL/IWIN" button so that since they cant play so much, they can easily get up to max cause yknow, its only fair. If you play once a week, there are heroic zones in current content that u can run and solo stuff in GU63.. There is no need to hit 92 for your current playstyle... Also, "play it your way" does not mean "get handed everything along the way" . It means if you'd LIKE to progress in current content, you can work for it... you dont have to do it, but its there for you... Stop the complaining please. This forum has recently attracted alot of carebears
  11. ARCHIVED-Dayeyes Guest

I havn't read through the 20 pages before this, so if this was already addressed then disregard this.

I don't support any change that encourages grinding, so I don't like this change. I play a mmo for the people, the rpg part is lacking compared to real rpgs. They should triple the experience in current tier(dov, not sf) group zones to encourage people to do those instead of mentoring down and do boring questing, or grinding.
    My 2 90's are currently 90/320, so this change doesn't affect me. I agree that end game content needs people with at least 280 AA, but forcing people to grind(do generally boring things) seems like a good way to turn people off from the game.
    An easy example is eq1, i heard someone mention that they have over 1000 aa in that game. That sounds horrid, not only must that be a mess, but it makes each point worth less.(if you only had 50 points, each point would be worth more to you, then if you had 1000.) It also creates a huge barrier to entry for that game.
    I heard someone mention that there are daily quests in skyshine, that award a ton of experience. Hopefully, that's a step in the right direction to make getting AA a less of grind.
  12. ARCHIVED-Laoran Guest

I have a valid question... assuming it hasn't been answered yet. (I searched and seen nothing to it's regard.)
    When this level increase occurrs, what happens to Veteran Bonuses? (Adventuring/Tradeskilling)
    Will we still keep the 20%s we've incurred for each 90? Or, will they all be removed since the level cap will have been increased?
  13. ARCHIVED-Raknid Guest

Vailene@Oasis wrote:
    It hasn't been answered as far as I know.
    On test the bonus stayed on 90; who knows waht the intention is once it hits live.
    Would be nice if they said so though.
  14. ARCHIVED-Laoran Guest

For some reason this hasn't been answered yet?...
  15. ARCHIVED-CoLD MeTaL Guest

Vailene@Oasis wrote:
    I suspect $OE is still trying to decide which will way make more money.
    It should go to 92, but with the new 280aa rule I guess they might leave it.
  16. ARCHIVED-SisterTheresa Guest

Huh, never said it stopped me .. might want to fully read something before you put words into my mouth, hm?
    But people have their underwear in a bunch in this topic .. no point even trying to say anything w/o getting piled on like a bunch of rabid people.
  17. ARCHIVED-bks6721 Guest

99.5% of the time I solo or just dou with my wife. I don't even have ToFSx2 access on any characters, yet I have 10 90's @ 320aa. I don't understand why some people think its really that hard to get aa. In addition to those 10, I have 8 more sitting at level 70, all with 180+ aa.
    For instance, this x2 exp weekend I took my 70 Dirge (solo with Pally merc) through CoV, Den, Blackscale, Vaults of El'rad and Halls of Fate. Four zones, only ran one time each, and got 41aa. Two weeks ago she was level 20. Now she's 70 with 195aa.
    Only ONE of my level 90's did the EW questline. The others didn't because they hit 320aa before they got around to doing them.
    Some people say they don't want to grind. Well I don't grind either. I do run characters through zones trying to find an upgrade and I get aa while doing it. One run through Evernight Abbey will give a level 70 about 10aa even after they've killed the named on a double exp weekend. I solo'd over 100aa on my 70 Warden just going through some easy dungeons this weekend. I don't consider that grinding, I consider it playing the game.
    I copied some of my 90's to test_copy to see what its like to level past 90. My templar got her first two prestige points in one run through a TSO dungeon in half an hour. Leveling to 92 will be easy.
  18. ARCHIVED-Dalannae Guest

Pauly@Befallen wrote:
    you hve how many alts at end level now? so what is your veteran bonus?
  19. ARCHIVED-Rijacki Guest

Alenna@Guk wrote:
    So, to have more than one 90 at 280+ AA you can't say anything to counter someone with multiple 90s complaining about how had it is to get AA (one of those who complains the loudest about how hard it is to get AA has more than 10 90s, so what's the vet bonus on that?). Then if someone doesn't have a lot of characters at 90 will you make the comment about how of course they can be at 280+ AA easily, they don't have too many characters to get there?
    I have 3 90s (on 2 accounts) with only one that I play to get maxed shortly after a level/AA increase. I've had Rijacki since launch, did oodles of quests prior to AA being introduced. She's on the account with the character I starting shortly before RoK and, since then, always max first. I haven't used all of the veteran reward XP potions (I forget most of the time), have never raided with her, and don't usually play her on double XP weekends. I didn't grind with Rijacki over the weekend (I was even gone for most of Sunday) but played another character on my other account and got her to 90 (making my third 90) but without grinding, just playing. I didn't ever need to grind with Rijacki, I only needed a few more AA to get her to where she will be other 280 when GU63 goes live.
    It is -not- hard to get AA in this game. You don't have to do nothing but grind. You can actually -just play-. The only way you can not get AA and/or not level is if you intentionally and actively disable your XP and/or AA XP. Sometimes I wonder if certain people have done exactly that.. and then complain because they level or gain AA too slowly.
  20. ARCHIVED-Dalannae Guest

Rijacki wrote:
    No I have not disabled my xp gain for anything but due to the fact that the AA gain gets harder the higher you go if I do't make sure my toons have at least 150 before I start my run to 90 if being PL I do'nt get near 280 unfortunetly thyat is what happened with my warlock she was nto 150+ and got PL ended up at 90 with 180 AAs been a long road to get her were she was at since I have other alts to work with also. my newer alts are gong ot stay locked till I have a decent amount of AA before I even think of PL them if I do.
    and meh actually I'm not to worried now that SoE got smart and realized that the AA gain to Xp was not as good as it should have been and fixed it. spent weekend getting my toon to where she will be at 28 when the update occurrs if not sooner playing her during hte next few weeks but it is not easy for some to get AAs especially those who do not concentrate one at at time on their alts or who just want to play the game and not grind.