Interested in starting up

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Jack Pipsam, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Jack Pipsam New Member

Hey there,
    I have dabbled in EQ2 in the past, but never really managed to make it far (furthest was level 20), but I am certainly interested with giving a month sub to try out the Fallen Gate server as I am under the impression that's where the action currently is.

But I had to admit I am bit intimated by all the different class-types, I was wondering what are the easier ones to play. My MMO background is largely WoW, so I am more used to the more simplistic class mechanics from that and due to some slight (nothing major) memory-retention issues, I can easily get confused if there's too much going on at once. Also playing from Australia my ping isn't exactly perfect, so if it's very time-based it might not be great.

I don't mind personally if it's weapon, ranged, magic or healing based, I am just a bit lost of where to start, even after looking at guides.

Thanks.
  2. Meneltel Well-Known Member

This is something someone posted some time ago, I copied and pasted it for personal use. Doesn't answer all your questions but gives you some idea about the classes. I have played 4 classes to 100 or so and all seem complicated to me, but often most of the spells are not really needed but situationally, so you mainly use just a few spells most often. *shrugs* hope this helps a little. I'm sure someone will come along and give you more detailed information, sir.

Coercer: Proc and spell copying based utility with power gen.
    Illusionist: DD and spell based copying DPS with some power gen.
    Wizard: ST focused DPSers
    Warlock: AoE focused DPSers
    Conjy: Pet elemental focused DPSer with stoneskins
    Necromancer: Pet disease focused DPSer with heals and revives.
    Monk: Avoidance and healing focused autoattack tank
    Bruiser: Avoidance and damage prevention autoattack focused tank
    Guardian: Mit and damage prevention focused tank
    Beserker: Mit and healing focused tank with beserk mechanic
    SK: Mit and lifetapping tank with spell damage
    Paladin: Mit and healing focused tank with spell damage
    Assassin: Positional based melee DPS with a strong ST focus
    Ranger: Ranged based positional DPS with a strong AoE focus
    Dirge: Melee buffing VC generator with some healing
    Troub: Mage buffing VC generator with some power regen
    Brigand: Defensive debuffing DPS with some AoE
    Swashbuckler: Offensive debuffing DPS with AoE
    Beastlord: Pet based DPS who changes what they do based on pet.
    Templar: Defensively focused proc based healer
    Inq: Offensively focused proc based healer
    Warden: HoT focused healer with defensive buffs that doesn't like to move
    Fury: HoT focused healer with offensive buffs that support movement
    Mystic: Damage prevention focused healer with defensive buffs and power regen
    Defiler: Damage prevention focused healer with debuffs
    Channeler: Bow based healer who prevents damage with a pet and manages OP spells with a dissonance mechanic
  3. Jack Pipsam New Member

Wow thanks, that does make things a bit easier at a glance.

Would I be right in assuming ST means Single Target?
  4. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

yes, st would be single target. necromancers, paladins, shadowknights, furies, wardens, mystics, defilers, bruisers and monks are strong choices for survivability, relatively easy to understand, and fairly newbie friendly. they would be my recommendations to anyone new who knows nothing of the game and seeks to start learning the mechanics and terminologies.

If you take the right aa, necros, furies, and wardens can all revive themselves. Monks, bruisers, and shadowknights can feign death themselves in case of trouble. Paladins can revive others. Both sks and pallies can heal themselves. Paladins are conscious healers though, and must be paid more attention to than sks. Shadowknights' heals are largely built into their attacks. Furies and wardens are slightly squishier than defilers and mystics, but do more damage. Defilers and mystics are much harder to kill, but don't do as much damage as the furies and wardens. Necros I recommend starting over a conjurer because they can heal themselves, revive themselves, revive others, regain mana for themselves, and are a little bit more straightforward to understand than a conjurer.
  5. Jack Pipsam New Member

Sure thing, I think I might try a Paladin if I can.

On the live server I am playing a Ranger and enjoying it, but not sure I am playing it 'right'.

PS. With Falling Gate server, is there a chance that characters made on it can be brought across to a live server or will they basically disappear?
  6. Meneltel Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about Falling Gate server vanishing soon.
  7. Jack Pipsam New Member

Oh I have no doubts the server will be up for months to come, maybe till the end of the year.

But I have never really played on a progression server before, so I'm not sure what happens when it does close. I read the FAQ and it didn't say.
  8. Roxxlyy Community Relations

Hi there! Progression servers won't normally close, they'll simply catch-up to live servers in terms of content and then play out like a regular server from there. You won't have to worry about losing your characters - if we were to close a Progression Server for some large reason, we'd likely merge it to another server and offer character transfers before that happened.
    Rosyposy likes this.
  9. Jack Pipsam New Member

Thank you! That clears up all my concerns, I had this vision that i'd make a character, end up attached to him/her only for it to simply vanish.
    I've gone ahead with an All Access now in order to give Fallen Gate a shot ^_^
  10. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Good luck! I hope you have fun! Look for a good guild that fits your playing style and goals as well as one that you will fit in also. This game is so much more fun with friends and guildies!
    Roxxlyy likes this.