Interested in a fresh start

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Rhaegor, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Rhaegor Member

Hail and well met, all,

I'm one of those on again, off again type gamers and after being away for some years, (last time I played was for only a month or two when they first instituted Lv 90 boosts), so however long ago that was.

I have several characters ranging from 56 to 92, but I'm interested in starting something from the start again. I also plan to take advantage of the free Lv 100 boost, but that's a different story, and which class I do that with sort of depends on the outcome of this question...

Which of the following classes would make the best solo'er? How do I define best?

I want to be as self sufficient as possible, (meaning I'd normally not use my mercs... unless I'm jonesing to go into a dungeon or something).

I don't mind taking longer to kill, (ST or AoE), as long as I don't die, (often).

I'm fine taking on the content a solo player is meant to take on, I don't feel any need to take out red con, triple up arrow mobs by myself, LOL.

I want to be able to explore everywhere, (which means I probably want the Mystic or Inq because they can breathe underwater).

Classes under consideration, (that I don't already have):

Monk
    Berserker
    Paladin

Mystic
    Inquisitor

Troubadour
    Dirge

I know there's probably no class, or at least not one among my aforementioned choices, that meets ALL of the above, but maybe the best "blend" of the above?

I want to also do a trade skill that would most benefit whichever class I choose... so if you recommend Monk for instance, do you have a recommendation on which trade skill best complements the Monk? I already have an 80 Armor by the way, but that's the only trade skill I have.

So... if you were starting anew, which of the above classes would you play and why?

Thank you.
  2. elbogg New Member

Personally, I'd probably say Monk since I enjoy playing them and they have good solo survivability (especially with FD). For a TS class maybe Provisioner? I feel like most TS classes will effectively lag behind where you'd want them to be due to access to resources, unless you're planning to grab stuff from the broker and stay ahead of your adventure level. The difference doesn't seem to be as impactful with food/drink.
  3. Tommara Active Member

with respect to underwater exploration - Totem of the Otter, Fishbone Earring, probably others, i.e., I would not let that drive my decision on which class to play.

If your focus is solo content without mercs, then probably a hybrid would be the best. The bards are annoying to solo, at least for me, but maybe that's because I'm used to playing rangers killing things very fast, and both bards have similar skills, but seem gimped for soloing in comparison. Bards shine in a group, especially troubadours. At least dirges buff your own skillset, but neither one was intended for solo play. But I did solo a troub to 90-ish, and a dirge to 70. Neither was fun to solo, but are both great fun in a group.

The same logic applies to the healers you mentioned. I suspect fury is different, but they aren't on your list.

The only hybrid on the list is paladin, which is now my preferred main in EQ2. It really dragged a bit, due to the low dps beginning about Kunark, but it picked up after SF. YMMV, especially since my comments are based on when those expansions were the current, latest content, when reactant gear did not exist (and is the best thing outside of grouping/mercs for leveling fast). And the fact that my main was a ranger, until the pally took over (but makes all other classes seem slow to level).

I haven't played a monk yet though, so don't know what I don't know.

Since you already have an armorer, you can already make pally armor. Monk armor is made by tailors. If you don't have a tailor or alchemist, that's another reason to choose pally. Since you can already make its armor, the obvious tradeskill choice is alchemy for its combat arts/spells. Monk gives you a dilemma between tailoring and alchemy. If you chose a scout, jeweler is the best choice because you already have an armorer to make their armor. Jeweler makes scout combat arts/spells, plus can make stuff for all your toons. If you choose one of the priests you mentioned, then sage is the best choice. Your armorer can make armor for both, but if I had to chose only one tradeskill for priests, it would be their spells.
    Rosyposy likes this.