insane lag since about 3 pm est on AB

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by leafrom, Jan 15, 2018.

1. leafrom New Member

Has no one else noticed this lag cant even change the follow tab on my merc.

Seeing same issue from all over the country.

Any assistance would be helpful.
  2. Ephras Active Member

Yes I noticed lag today on AB from 5pm to 10pm EST. I haven't seen much lag since I got my new computer a few months ago. It felt a bit strange. Maybe it'll be better tomorrow - patch day?
  3. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

If you are on WiFi, try network cable instead.
  4. Tekka Well-Known Member

This sort of post spread across several threads is more harmful than helpful. Every problem isn't wifi. Most problems aren't wifi. Most folks that have wifi are well aware of the issues it can cause, and it's the first thing they check.

Myself and a friend had noticeable chat delay about the same time as listed above, it hadn't cleared up by the time I logged out at 9 PM CST.
    Cheallaigh and Cyrrena like this.
  5. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

Yes, a lot of people are aware about WiFi issues, but some other people aren't.
    There are also people like me who had perfect WiFi in the past, but not so perfect by now.

I don't see any harm in my advice, because if leafrom or Ephras or Tekka confirms that they have no WiFi problems then DBG needs to pay more attention to the lag problem because they know now that multiple people are effected by it and it is not WiFi related.
  6. Ephras Active Member

I'm on cable.
    Cheallaigh likes this.
  7. Kheldorm Active Member

Oh my lord, give up on "WiFi is the root of all evil".
    I'm plugged directly into my router with a bloody cable, and the lag in PoP is stupid bad.
    Cheallaigh likes this.
  8. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

9. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

He was trying to be helpful, nowhere did he say WiFi is the root of all evil. I take it you do not know anybody that has called tech support for their computer or internet only to be asked first if it is plugged in?

I too had the lag spike up during the same time period and at times it was long enough to cause disconnects. I rarely had problems with lag before PoP launched but it has been pretty bad since PoP launched. I will say though, that other than yesterday, it seems to have been better in the past week.

I am old, back in the day, when we were all on dial-up, everybody knew when someone was doing something they were not supposed to do in UO as everybody would get slammed with game killing lag at the same time and in our specific group, we had people from all across the US, Australia, England, Ireland, and the Netherlands.

Cyrrena
  10. Tekka Well-Known Member

It's a culmination.

In a few other threads, that particular poster brought up wifi over and over and over even after the OP + others with similar problems had stated that not only was it not possible for it to be a wifi problem, but that they weren't even on wifi.

Since player support is pretty much all this game has these days, offering a solution is a good thing. But at least take a moment to consider if the 'source' of the problem you're about to offer is probable, or even possible.
    Cheallaigh likes this.
  11. Csipi Active Member

Need a new WIFI router, definitely.
  12. Mugwort Active Member

There has been a problem with
    ASUS, Linksys, Netgear, TP-Link, and Synology routers with Android phones and Chromecast/Google Assistant devise when they "wake up" and flood the routers with a bunch of packets. The routers mentioned, can be slowed, perform poorly or even crash because of this packet flooding.

Not saying this is the OP's problem but could be one of the problems an individual might face.

Router manufacturers may also have fixes to mitigate the problem until the fix for Android devices are rolled out, (around the 18th).

So, if a smart TV, Chromecast device along with android phone is used in the household, check manufacturer of router for updates and keep android devices up to date because they can impact gaming experience on a wired connection if the devices misbehave and prevent the router from functioning properly.
  13. Grouse Active Member

Currently, my packet throughput is zero... This is not a local problem to my systems and I'm getting megabits of up/download test traffic, while my character is sitting above a bunch of dragons, unable to move. Looks like a DDOS to me.
  14. Grouse Active Member

FYI - Yesterday, about 1/2 hour after I posted this, my packet rate went from under three, up to the high teens and twenties. My normal rate is over thirty or forty. I haven't logged in this morning, so I do not know the current state.

I use the network monitor added in GU42.
    It is activated with F11.

All I know can be found at https://gz.equoria.net/EQ2_Ping_Monitor
  15. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

@Grouse, are you also looking at F11 while in-game, have you noticed issues since this thread posting? For anyone who doesn't know, the second small number on the left in the display when you hit F11 is packet loss, and I've been noticing mine shooting up from its default of zero (where it's supposed to be) to the teens, then dozens of lost packets on a well, not exactly regular basis, but way too often lately; if it gets above the 30s or so without coming back down, I know I'm probably going Linkdead and will be forcibly logged out SoooOOOooon(TM)...but it's taking its sweet time about it (leading me to shriek, "Oh, just kill the toon and get it over with, already!"). I know this is an "older" thread, but I've been seeing this issue rear its ugly head fairly frequently in the last few months. :-/

Uwk
    Cyrrena likes this.
  16. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I was supporting both of you Tekka. The person attempting to be helpful and you as well with confirmation that the lag was present at the same time but only EQ2 was affected, for me at least. I know you and I know that you are also attempting to put out there helpful information, I was not having a go at you.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  17. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

That is how it felt to me as well, but I did not want to be paranoid.

@Uwk … That is what it did to me, frozen for over 5 minutes and I could not even close it with the taskbar, I was shouting to just disconnect already so I can get back to what I was doing!!!
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  18. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

Cyrrena and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  19. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Cyrrena likes this.
  20. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Now it's doing it every time I try to zone anywhere, even using things like the Gnome Portal to Tinkerfest (well, okay, they did say it was unstable...). >:-/

Uwk