Inquisitor - Why no one is playing them and what needs changed

Discussion in 'General Feedback' started by Smashey, Mar 12, 2023.

1. Smashey Well-Known Member

In this post ill try to explain why no one plays Inquisitor in the hopes that someone at daybreak will see it and actively work on improving the class. Currently Inquisitor is the least played class in the world when it comes to raiding and there are good reasons as to why. Ill break it down into the good parts, the bad parts, the awful parts and the truly awful parts.

The good part

The good part about Inquisitors in 2023 is that our Combat Arts have finally been fixed. They scale better than our spell versions at Rank 5 vs Ancient ranging everywhere from +785% to +1463% better efficiency. So the old battle cleric is possible, it just needs a bit of tweaking here and there - Because of this its also one of the cheapest classes to get raid ready as only your heals and reactives needs to be upgraded.

The bad parts

Deny, just a completely worthless ability that really does nothing at all.

Fanaticism Weapon Damage Bonus part does not nothing for us personally other than increasing our DPS by 12 because of the focus effect. we cap WDB at 869.8% without Tenacity and with Tenacity its capped at 1212.3% (Grandmaster quality spells).

Act of War, the changes to this ability has made it much less powerful. Now it has a proc rate at around 4% during a 5 minute fight and only does about 1% of peoples parses.

Tormenting Conversion, is a threat dump and increases damage done to target. The thing is, it has a 30% chance to dispel on damage, including the increased damage part.

Incarcerate, same as above, its a root and stiffle, but only does increased Physical and Divine damage, but has a 20% chance to dispel on damage, including the increased damage taken.

Having to reapply Fanaticism and Exorcise randomly gets old fast. They just toggle off randomly for no reason, not related to player power or zoning, just randomly toggle off.

Not being able to track at least group reactives. It has been requested many times that clerics can at least track their their group reactives on themselves. This is a request I would like to mention again, because it is frustrating to play cleric now compared to the old days where you could easily track both single target and group reactives. For group healing this means either creating an ACT trigger that will litteraly trigger you listening to it 500 times a raid night or guessing when its time to refresh your group reactives as its the only reliable group healing tool you have right now outside of Divine Guidance and Alleviation, because of the issues with Combative Healing ill mention in just a while and because that our group buff Divine Provenance shares cooldown with our former best group heal, Inquisition.

Still nerfing our Epic 2.0. Fanatic's Focus have been nerfed for a 3rd time before Renewal of Ro launched making our auto attack even lower. This is while inq is no longer a top 3 parsing healing class. Divine Righteousness is also starting to become useless real fast, its a static Combat Mitigation debuff and for every month that goes it slowly becomes one of the more useless abilities in the game.

The awful parts(including this color on this background)

Verdict, one of the main attractions for a raid force for many years to bring an Inqusitor has been rendered completely useless because of Tainted Mutation, the Ascension ability. Making this ascension ability not work in future expansion would make the class instantly more attractive. Tainted Mutation is essentially a better verdict these days because it both reduces potency and lasts longer. Meanwhile, inquisitors have to put aas in to get a version that is actually only 3% instead of Tainted which is at 4%. Can we please make the inquisitor aas make verdict last longer and change the threshold to 4%. It doesn't even have to be 6 minutes like Tainted Mutation. 30 seconds would be fine (when including all the AA's) Something that makes it more comparable to tainted mutation so that a class defining, flavor ability isn't available to everyone or simple remove the ability to use tainted in future content. Its been a long time coming, but the game is ready for Verdict II!

The ability added in VoV called Sanctifying Flames II is not classified as a Combat Art. This, for battle clerics, is bad. Comparing it to Strike of Flames (Rank 5), which it shares a cooldown with, its -54.70% less efficient to use.

Battle Dressing (Combative Healing AA located in the Inquisitor AA tree), only triggers when people are below 100% health which is almost never. You are either at 100% or dead with current mechanics. So at around 5500 combat attacks it triggers around 16 times in a duo healer raid setup or 0.29% proc rate. This ability could use a change, maybe become a ward, heal over time or become a trigger. Its simply impossible to time this with current healing mechanics.

Inquest, the damage proc is around 2% DPS on a T1 scout parse. Compare that to other healer buffs suchs as Primal Instinct which does 7-8%. The prestige AA Perfected Inquest that includeds a group power element also needs an update.

Devoted Allegiance, the cleric Shadows AA does not increase Stamina or any other stats on Tenacity.

Touch of Resistance, the new ability added in the current expansion. Increases melee multiplier by 3.78, flurry by 7.5, flurry multiplier by 0.4 and fervor by 14.8 for 18 seconds, stacking up to 10 times. It also has a DR of 30.45% and a small heal trigger. While the fervor part is decent, i struggle to figure out how such an ability that only lasts 18.1 seconds is supposed to ever get 10 increments and why we are continuing to add melee stats while at the same time, lowering the melee multiplier on our epic 2.0 for the 3rd time since it launched.

Flurry multiplier is still broken/bugged despite being confirmed in the bug report section since Jun 30, 2021.

The truly awful parts of inquisitor

Auto Attack centric healing class. One of the worst things is that the class is focusing entirely on auto attacking and buffing the group scout auto attack damage. Something the developers over and over again have said they dont want in the game. This is obviously bad for a class that focuses on increasing scouts melee damage. We can currently get 28.05 melee multiplier solo buffed (-6.65 with the changes to Fanatic's Focus during Renewal of Ro beta, which makes it the most nerfed epic 2.0 for some reason as its the 3rd time its been lowered, please give it back??) and honestly, it makes very little difference.

Here are two pictures from two 5 minute parses. One with all our buffs on and one with everything off.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

The result is that all the buffs combined, Tenacity, Fanaticism, Battle Prowess, Fanatics Focus, Persecution and Inquest only increases auto attack output by 16.6%. Overall auto attack damage for inqusitors is around 7-8% with 28.05 melee multipier.

So what needs to be changed?
    Well, either the entire class needs to be retooled to not focus on auto attack damage, but instead bring fervor/potency buffs as other healer classes or melee mitigation needs to be tweaked, something which we have seen no signs off during beta raid tests, in heroic content or after launch. No one is bringing an inquisitor for three reasons. Our buffs are not good enough, our damage output is not good enough and we provide zero utility (verdict and damage increases)

Thank you for taking the time to read through this. I hope this reaches some of the class developers and they change things around for the better for the class.
  2. Smashey Well-Known Member

Only 2 players plus me in the entire game(forum) wants them to look into fixing Inquisitors?

Damn!
  3. VeloEQ2 Member

As a fellow Inquisitor lover (now a templar due to the state of Inquisitors) I hope and pray the devs see this. They're an absolute joke in the current state. I betrayed a class that I said I would NEVER betray because I loved it so much just because of how bad they currently are. They bring nothing to a group aside from verdict. I am doing MORE DPS as a Templar in the same gear than I was as Inquisitor. I BEG of you Daybreak to please look into this class. We are not whining just because it's our class we play. They are truly useless right now. I'd imagine it would be pretty easy to pull up the data on how many Inquisitors their actually are playing now vs those who betrayed.

To fellow Inquisitors, I hope we have our day again. From what I've been told we have gone downhill since I left the game back at the end of DoV and we have been steadily at the bottom since.
  4. Liberal Active Member

Would like reactives to be changed back to the way they were - or at least the ability to track them again.
  5. rakeone New Member

Damn I was about to reinstall the game and try but inquisitor was my favorite class by far in velious.
    now it's been years.
    are you telling me we can't even see who in our party has still the reactive up ?
  6. Kiche New Member

I've played an inquisitor since 2007. It's my main and the only class I've ever played seriously. That said, I wholly agree with this thread. The Inquis class needs some TLC, as pretty much all of our melee buffs/abilities are garbage these days. I fell in love with the inquis because I could stand beside the tank and smash the mobs in the face with a hammer while throwing out heals like a boss... what's not to love about that? Now, its stand 20m back, "cure-cure-cure-f'in cure faster!", and spam cast reactives while rotating through Divine Guidance, Divine Waters, Bulwark of Faith, and Touch of Resistance.... The same exact playstyle as a Templar, without the better heals buffs and utility spells.

Our debuffs are total garbage, little more than HO trigger fodder now. The combat mit debuffs (Divine Righteousness and Condmen) have no noticeable effect on the parses. The reactive damage debuffs are meh for dps and the Punishment AA heals attached to them barely do anything as again, they are direct heals and anyone at 100% gets jack. The Punishment AA should be a reactive or ward based heal to be useful again, the same with Inquisition. Direct heals are virtually useless when everyone in the group is already running Field Medic and being below 100% health is death. Verdict is also in dire need of an upgrade, 1 or 2% higher than the Ascension version would be appropriate imo.

Our buffs as stated before are all but useless. We used to be highly desired in scout groups because of our melee based buffs, now it's not even a consideration. Our buffs only affect autoattack stats, which have mostly been nerfed out of the game. If the devs are so keen on removing autoattack dps, then revamp our buffs to affect melee based combat arts instead.

I'm not a number cruncher, but I can be spamming CAs and wailing on the mob, and a Templar at the exact same resolve and gear level can out parse me with a scepter click from 2 expacs ago. There's something wrong with that, and it's not the scepter. I'm by no means DPS spec'd, but neither is the Templar.

DPS and utility aside, our heals are also subpar to most other classes. We get 2 group cures, woopity do when mobs are spamming group dets that kill the group in less than a second. Cleansing of the Soul needs to be instant cast, as that .5sec cast is no longer fast enough to beat the detriment ticks. Our reactives, as mentioned above, need to show in the maintained window so we can track them, even though I'll still spam cast them through most fights anyway. We also need some form of arcane/elemental/noxious ward/stoneskin like most other healer classes have. I don't expect to out heal a Templar or Defiler. I honestly don't care as long as I can solo heal and keep my group alive in gear appropriate content. I'm not a Templar and I dont WANT to be a Templar. At least fix our usefulness in a group.
    Cerameth likes this.
  7. VeloEQ2 Member

As big as being able to track reactives is.. that is honestly the least of our problems right now. The entire class needs to be refocused if Daybreak isnt willing to make autoattack useful again. Lets hope with the incoming "Class Balance" forum board coming that maybe changes will happen, but im not holding my breath on it.