In the Beginning.....

Discussion in 'History and Lore 2' started by Mary the Prophetess, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Mary the Prophetess Active Member

I am becoming increasingly confused as to the status of the gods of the Norrathian Pantheon, and would like a status check.

I would like to have the story line from *BOTH* EQ1 and EQ2 including banished gods, ascended gods, temporary gods (such as Mayong), ungods (such as Zeb) etc.. I am not interested particularly about the gods of the the NPC races, but if you like, then throw them in.

Also remember as Carl Sagan stated: "Absence of evidence is NOT evidence of absence." I'd like to limit speculation and stick to what is known, even if it is contradictory.

This is my somewhat confused list of the gods. Please feel free to add if I have overlooked anyone.

The Nameless:

The Elemental Gods:

1. WATER:
    The Triumvirate of Water:
    E'ci: [The Wintry Guardian] [Water in frozen form]
    Tarew Marr: [The Fathom Lord, Ruler of the Triumvirate of Water] [Water in liquid form]
    Povar: [The Veiled One] [Water in Vapor form]
    2. EARTH:
    The Rathe: [The Council of Earth]
    3. FIRE:
    Fennin Ro: [The Tyrant of Fire]
    4. AIR:
    Xegony. [The Queen of Air]

The Gods of Influence:

1. The Good Aligned Gods:
    Tunare: [The Mother of All]
    Erollisi Marr: [The Queen of Love]
    Mithaniel Marr: [The Truthbringer]
    Quellious: [The Tranquil]
    Anashti Sul-1: [the Prime Healer-1]
    Rodcet Nife: [The Prime Healer-2]

2. The Neutral Aligned Gods:
    Brell Serilis: [The Duke of Below]
    Bristlebane: [The King of Theives]
    Karana: [The Rain Keeper]
    Solusek Ro: [The Burning Prince]
    The Tribunal: [The Council of Justice]
    Veeshan: [The Mother of Wurms]
    Prexus: [The Ocean Lord]

3. The Evil Aligned Gods:
    Bertoxxulous: [The Plaguebringer]
    Cazic-Thule: [The Faceleess]
    Innoruuk: [The Prince of Hate]
    Anashti Sul-2: [The Banished]
    Rallos Zek: [The Warlord]
    Terris-Thule: [The Dream Scorcher]

Demi-Gods:
    Druzzil Ro: [The Matron of the Art]
    Ayonae Ro: [The Maestra]
    Luclin: [The Maiden of Shadows]
    Morrell Thule: [The Lord of Dreams]
    Saryn: [The Mistress of Torment and Pain]
    Tallon Zek: [The Beholder of Battle]
    Vallon Zek: [The Governor of War]
    Sullon Zek. [Goddess of Rage]
    Rolfron Zek: [God of Despair]
    Vazaelle Kaleine: [The Mad]
    Zebuxoruk: [The Forsaken]
    Mayong Mistmore: [God of Blood]
    Doodlebug and Lovestar like this.
  2. Rainmare Well-Known Member

Bolgin Serillis, Brell's unkempt brother who is responsible for the boarfiends. not sure what his realm of influence is though.
    Lanys T'vyl - demigoddess of Envy.
    Ullorruuk - demigoddess of Betrayal.
    Drinal - God of Ethernere/the Dead
    Tarig Ro - demi-god of blacksmithing (responsible for the creation of the brusier eq2 epic weapon, and the statue of E.marr in new Halas)
    Master Wu -demigod I believe of harmony, under Quellious. (he was the actual one you fight in the avatar of tranquility fight)
    Krytoxxxulous - demigod of plagues I believe. only see him in the Warlock epic.
    Gorynn Zek -demigod of gladiators
  3. Mary the Prophetess Active Member

Thank you, Rainmare, I will change my list.

I feel that Roehn Theer: [The Godslayer] should be included somewhere as well. My choice would be between the Elemental gods, and the gods of Influence.
  4. Anaogi Well-Known Member

Rallos Zek is deceased of course, and the Trinity of War (Tallon, Vallon, and Sullon Zek) have taken his place for War.

Other than that, looks pretty complete.
  5. Rainmare Well-Known Member

yep Sullon/Tallon/Vallon are now the Hounds of War taking Zek's place.
  6. Meirril Well-Known Member

Rohen Theer isn't a god. Technically he is a divine being in charge of an aspect of the universe. He is like a god, but isn't. Much like Drinal was before he absorbed some of the influence from two dead gods.

Drinal probably needs his own unique category as well. I don't think its possible to throw him in with the gods of influence or elemental deities. He has nothing in common with either group and is most closely related to Rohen Theer.

There is also a question of what some of the other beings are. Zebuxoruk is the ungod. Rather he is a mortal that became a god because he understood the nature of how gods work. Technically he should be the God of Knowledge.

Then there is Sylok, the spirit of the Iksar. It isn't a god, but it is a geater spirit which is bordering on being divne.

Caertax is claimed to be a god by the Roekilk. While that is doubtful, it could be the Caertax we defeat in The Hole isn't the "real" Caertax but a Roekilk that uses his name to assume authority over the Roekilk.

Also Veeshan's official title is "Goddess of Sky" which is her realm of influence. She is and she breeds dragons, but her divinity comes from her claim over the Sky. That would be like referring to Tunare as "Elf Mother" when her influence is growth, or calling Mithanial "Frog Father".
  7. Mary the Prophetess Active Member

You raise an interesting question Meirril. Just what is a god anyway. and what is their hierarchy?

The model for most fantasy MMORPGs for their deities comes primarily from the mythologies of Greece and Rome (maybe with some Egyptian, Scandinavian, and Celtic models thrown in for flavor)

Based upon that model, usually at the top is the superior or supreme god, maybe called the king of the gods or father of the gods.. This is the top tier. In the case of Norrath, this would be the Nameless.

Beneath the supreme god would be the senior gods. Maybe called the greater gods or the elder gods. For us they would be the elemental gods. These are tier two gods.

Below them would be your everyday regular gods. In Norrath, the gods of influence. ( tier 3)

However, just like in Animal Farm (where all animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others), There are often gods that have a somewhat higher status in the pantheon than their tier would suggest. They may called special gods or favored gods. (Roehn Theer and Drinal may fall in this category), or other gods created directly by the Nameless. (Call them tier 2.5)

Below the gods is a category often called the lesser gods which would be tier 4. Everquest doesn't really have this category, unless the gods of the NPC races fall here.

Below the lesser gods would be the demi-gods. In EQ we use these as synonymous with the lesser gods, though other games make a distinction between the two

Some games include demons and angels which would fall just under the demi-gods..

Beneath the angels and demons would come humans who have been granted god-like powers, or the human offspring of the gods, often called titans, or simply heroes.

The top two tiers of the gods usually have little or no interaction with mortals or even the other gods, All the "action" is in the tiers below them.

There is on going speculation as to whether or not gods can exist indpendant of worshipers. My opinion is that in Everquest they can, though many others may disagree.

By the way, I would say that Veeshan's proper epithet should include *heavens* since Veeshan is an anagram for heavens. (others would be: Tunare = Nature, Veeshan = Heavens, Fennin Ro = Innferno, Xegony = Oxygen, Povar = Vapor Tarew = Water, Rathe = Earth, E'Ci = Ice)

I also came across three others that should be included in the pantheon, but am uncertain as to which tier they should be placed. Probably as demi-gods

Ehayae: [Matron of the Dawn]
    Sahteb Mahini: [The Feral Spirit]
    Xev Bristlebane: [Prince of Fortune}

There is often another category of divine beings referred to as ancient, or elder gods. These are gods from a previous pantheon overthrown by the current pantheon. There are no gods that fall into this category that I am aware of. Anashti Sul was banished, and then returned, but she was originally a part of Norrath's pantheon, and as such does not fall within that category
  8. Meirril Well-Known Member

Actually Norrath falls outside of the entire Greek/Roman/Norris pathenon style. Its more like a weird combination of Nietzsche's Unmoving Mover (the Nameless) filtered through Aristotle's Forms (the elemental deities) down to a Freudian inspired pathenon (the Gods of Influence).

Greek style gods are basically natural forces given human personality and human foibles. The gods of influence and to a lesser extent the elemental gods fall into this category. Though, the elemental gods do for the most part stand above petty squabbles that the other gods get into.

The Nameless...stands alone. He started the ball and appears to either have lost interest or is just watching. From what has been said he'd probably break Norrath if he tried to change anything.

I remember older info sites that had pictures that looked like SoE produced them. Some of the gods were labeled as Greater, Lesser and Demigod much like the early D&D books. Most of the gods you have listed as demigods were listed as lesser gods. Only mortals that were changed into gods were listed as demigods, and I think a few were listed as lesser gods.

Sahteb Mahini...I think that is the Greater Spirit related to the Unkempt Woods. It isn't a god, but it is nearly as powerful as a god in the Unkept Woods. It is also a being that could become a god, if....something happened. Maybe if it was more widely worshiped? Or if it did something like oppose and win against a god? Maybe if it claimed dominion over the Forests, or the Wild Places. What makes a god a god is a bit confusing in Norrath, and the reason Zeb is a god.

Xev is definitely a lesser god. Ehayae...no idea. I remember the title but honestly not where she comes from.

From Veeshan everything related to her gets the Sky epitaph. Pedestal of Sky. Plane of Sky. Then all the dragon stuff here as dev gets more focused on the whole dragon thing and away from her divine nature.

Maybe if Norrath had an industrial revolution Veeshan would come back to battle smog? Or she'd fight the Spaceballs if they came to plunder Norrath of its precious air supply (I'm all out of love, I'm so lost without you)?
  9. Mary the Prophetess Active Member

Here are a few others and some information on them. Note that some of this comes from archived threads and discussions 8-10 years old:

Talysra: [Goddess of the Kerra]
    [From Vhalen]:
    You know, Talysra was originally named Talsyra in my Planes and Deities document. I ended up changing the name because I kept misspelling it. Funny, considering I created this sub deity. Yes, she is a sub deity in the EQII universe. Here is a bit about her:
    Upon a lush isolated savannah island within the Plane of Tranquility can be found this feline deity. She is said to be involved in the creation of all felines and oversees the valorous prides of her plane. Very few cat races know of her existence outside of the Plane of Tranquility. Her peaceful and humble ways mask the ferocity that she can exact when in defense of harmony.
    Tholuxe Paells: [God of Lust and Vice]
    [From Vhalen]:
    I remember the weekend of Tholuxe Paells creation, what a weekend that was. Here is what I have on him:
    Little is known of this vile god of vices. Within his demi plane of debauchery he rules supreme. Unlike many planars, he prefers frequent interaction with mortal worlds and delights in tempting the weak of virtue with offers of eternal pleasure. This is how he populates his world. Every being that has been tempted by Tholuxe Paells is brought here to his world of eternal pleasure and debauchery. Too many, entry into his world begins as a pleasurable dream, but for all, this dream turns into an inescapable torment. This veiled torture often drives mortals insane or, in the least, loss of all former thought. All of this is done for the pleasure of Tholuxe Paells, demigod of debauchery. He is a tall slight of built man with feminine attributes that suggest androgyny.
    Torvonnilous: [God of Greed]

Both Tholuxe and Torvonnilous had servers in EQ at one time, which also is circumstantial evidence of their place in the pantheon
    Drinal. Ehayae, and Sahteb Mahini were all credited in EQOA as "Spirit Deities" responsible for the creation of the first Lycanthropes They are also present in the EverQuest Table Top RPG
    In the current era, Druids and Mystics share a connection with these spirit deities
    Wardens (Drinal), Furies (Sahteb), Mystics (Ehayae)

Drinal: [The Silver Reaper]
    Spirit Deity of Night, Destruction, and Death
    Responsible for the birth of lupine lycanthropy
    Worshipped by the wolfmen (lujien) and tribesmen of the Unkempt Forest
    Ehayae: [Matron of Dawn]
    Spirit Deity of Birth, Rebirth, and Creation
    (Just as Drinal is the bringer of death, Ehayae is the bringer of life, A fertility goddess who helps to usher in life anew)
    Responsible for the birth of ursine lycanthropy
    Worshipped by the bearmen (Ghijna), druids and shamans of the Unkempt Forest
    Sahteb Mahini: [The Feral Spirit]
    (Savagery)
    Responsible for the birth of feline lycanthropy
    Worshipped by the lionmen of the Karanas (kejrahn) before being driven to extinction

Some additional information on Caertex: Spirit Deity worshipped by the Ratonga
    Responsible for the birth of rodent lycanthropy.
  10. Mary the Prophetess Active Member

I believe we now have a complete list of all of the greater gods, gods, lesser gods, demi gods, spirit gods, and avatars which exist in the Ever Quest milieu. All that is left to do is organize them into a hierarchy, and get a developer to affirm or correct the list and hierarchy.
  11. Finora Well-Known Member

There was also Xul-Varien, but I don't know what became of him (either I missed that bit of lore in game, which is quite possible, or we just haven't heard). He was the former god of pestilence before Bertoxxulous took over the job.

As for the hierarchy, here is SOE's creation story.

That gives the impression that The Nameless is the first & originator of everything. The elemental gods were created by it and they in turn created the other gods.
  12. Mary the Prophetess Active Member

Man, they just keep coming out of the wood work. I'll add him to the list.
    Finora likes this.
  13. Kelvmor Active Member

It hasn't been said. Literally all we know of Xul'Varien is that he was the former God of Disease, and at some point he was replaced by Bertoxxulous, through what means I do not know. It can be assumed he's a dead god, akin to Rallos Zek; I actually RP a dwarf warlock cultist of dead Xul'Varien who seeks to resurrect him somehow <_<
    Finora likes this.
  14. Mary the Prophetess Active Member

Call me cynical, but I don't think gods stay dead in this fantasy realm forever. I bet we see Rallos again sometime.
  15. Rainmare Well-Known Member

I think death's like Rallos' will be 'permenant, as the Hounds of War have literally taken on his mantle. and there are even several npcs that used to refer to Rallos that now mention the Hounds.
  16. Meirril Well-Known Member

Rallos has more of a chance to come back than Xul'Varien. Xul'Varien was created so Anashti'sul could say there use to be another God of Disease that she opposed back before she was banished. Rallos is a character the devs are use to playing with. If the devs feel like playing with either they could return. I find Rallos to be much more likely. I even made a thread on how it could be done. It actually seems fairly easy to explain him getting back to Norrath.

Though not so easy to explain him becoming a god again. Maybe if he went around and beat the Hounds one at a time he would regain his power. The problem being he should be too weak to do so if he got back to Norrath. It would be funny to see Rallos in disguise giving out quests for several expansions to help him gain enough power to get his old job back.

Xul'Varien...if dev really felt like giving him a nod I think we might see an item named after him. Possibly dropped by the Avatar of Disease.
  17. Kelvmor Active Member

I didn't say Xul'Varien ever *will* be revived or anything, it's mostly just a story thing for my warlock. Still, some further fleshing out would be appreciated, I think
  18. Rainmare Well-Known Member

Not to mention I can't see Rallos beating Sullon. Sullon but him on 100% defense and falling back when she was a mortal and him a God. which is probably a big part of how she was the primary force in kicking his tail as a demi-god. I can't imagine a depowered/mortal Rallos being able to take Sullon as a Hound of War.
  19. Meirril Well-Known Member

Maybe Rallos could actually demonstrate that he deserves the title "God of War" and actually uses strategy against her. Like getting her to fight something else and then going in to battle her himself after she's all out of rage. Or snipers to weaken and distract her. Or he brings an army to the battle. Or all of the above. Rage makes you fight on and even makes you fight sloppy. Rallos isn't Master Wu but he should be able to take advantage of her fighting style and use dirty tricks to keep her off balance and sap her strength until he can fight her.

Or he could fail. That would be a good story too.
  20. Lodrelhai Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why Morrel Thule is listed as a demigod, but Terris Thule is listed as a god. Aren't they equal in power?