Improving a Coercer

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Lea Plath, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Lea Plath Active Member

So I'm having a bit of trouble with my coercer.

http://u.eq2wire.com/soe/character_detail/450973764449

I've brought her out of retirement from ToV and I'm struggling to get a decent parse out of her. Like 6 million single target, 10 or so AoE. I've been experimenting with builds and I'm looking to come away from the auto attack melee based build if possible but I'm open.

I know I need Lacerator etc so I've got a 1 handed symbol in the bank with Molten Det and I'm saving up for a lacerator. I also know I need War Runes and I'm collecting those now.

I'm also looking at stuff that is and isn't useful, and worth having in the rotation. Is Puppetmaster still useless for example or does anyone have an example rotation?
  2. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Couple things ...
    I'd still get sacrificial staff (ghetto version of lacerator), Meta collection from Stigian will give you lacerator clone (nor terribly expensive even buy everything - hint: sell dirt encrusted keys for cash flow). Get ToT quest neck (for completion 27 quests in TOT). Also get SDA at least 75 - while reactive do not benefit from SDA - Unda does (and that is one of bigger sources of your DPS after mimic). Get AMOD via reforge at least 80k or better 100k - also I'd get casting speed to 200.
    In PUGs you probably missing good target for minic - which would be nowdays BL/RNG/SIN or ask you group notify you - when warlock about to fire FC chain or bard about to hit VC or wizard about to fire FB
    Most of your DPS nowadays will comes from mimic anyway ... following by Unda
  3. Kraeref Well-Known Member

Play ranged auto attack and cast Unda as soon as it's up. Highest damage of unda is at 19-20 meters. Thus you can increase your dps. If you can get either early advantage ranged or noxious rending ranged. They both exist. Get the autoattack chance at 100%.
    Here is my coercer. Look at specs and gear and adornments. See what you can adopt. Get the signature quest line done to get a ring.
    http://u.eq2wire.com/soe/character_detail/442383966745

It's a raid main but you still can get an idea.
  4. Lea Plath Active Member

So why take the 10 points on the auto attack increaser when it doesn't apply to spell weapons?
  5. Mermut Well-Known Member

Because he wanted to get to counter blade and needed 22 pts in the line to get there?
  6. Kraeref Well-Known Member

Because when you want to cast blinding shock you have to be with in melee range where you can use CAs. Ae chance is good for both auto attacks.

You don't need to take everything. Spec what you need and test it.
  7. Lea Plath Active Member

No I mean the the one that effects auto attack modified for melee? Quickening
  8. Kraeref Well-Known Member

Ah quickening. Yep. It increases DPS, attack speed and multi attack. Everything in it increases damage of your weapon either melee or ranged. higher your attack speed then higher the flurry chance. Good for a wand too.
    All other points in this tree I got in order to get wild swings which affects a range weapon too.
    In ToT expansion it is very easy to get every blue stat up.
  9. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Its not that easy respond ...
    With SDA not affecting your reactive you are have to relay on various sources of supplemental DPS but this is questionable only in the light that regardless of what ever spec your pick there 3 major sources of your DPS - in order of importance
    Mimic - that your main weapon - learn it, love it, use it
    Unda - very unique ability the ONLY ability that benefit from SDA goes over 100% - hit as hard as fully loaded truck - use it from 19m range for maximum yield - use it every time its up
    Peace of the Mind - ran as much as you can, increase amount of triggers with anything your can, change your wand delay to 4s (so actually weapon delay will be 1.8s) .. and that is a piece where flurry, MA, AoE all comes very handy because they all increase procs
    Outside of those 3 - everything else is fillers ...
  10. MrWashek Member

Improve dps? Get rid of Vigor and Killing Chamber charms and take Kerafyrms Rage/Furor, reforge out of haste (200 ish) and reuse (100% with temp adorns) into ability mod (80k self buffed). Get rid of wrong war runes, get missing white adorns and drop flurry belt and cloak for doublecast.
    DoomDrake likes this.
  11. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Quick question why get rid of vigor? in group/raid environment some other class for sure will be better target for EV rather the coercer self..
  12. MrWashek Member

Because giving yourself 110-150 potency from charm or generating total of 468 crit bonus for 20 seconds every minute and 91 crit bonus for yourself the other 40 seconds is not a big difference and Vigor looks like logical choice. Yeah, why doesnt everyone use Vigor charm, math behind it is awesome, isnt it? :D
  13. Kraeref Well-Known Member

Double cast does nothing to coecers. Flurry is still good especially if they are melee
  14. MrWashek Member

Auto attack is max 5% (2-5 mil) of your dps and unless you are just a buffbot you will boost stats that improve your abilities.
  15. Kraeref Well-Known Member

It's apparent that you have no idea how to play a coercer.
  16. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

I'd go with SDA too personally.

Looking at a couple of parses from our coercers auto attack seems to be maximum 10%, and averages around 6%.

40% Flurry chance equated to about 1% of auto dps, where as 60% SDA equates to roughly 10% of total DPS. (Before Unda's taken into account too).
  17. Illflow New Member

SDA > Flurry all day even on a coercer. If auto attacks account for more than 6% of your parse... you're doing it wrong.
    DoomDrake likes this.
  18. Lea Plath Active Member

I'm getting a lot of conflicting messages.

As I understand it, ranged is now only good for triggering reactives and procs etc? And I still want the base stats (200 haste, 200 multi) for ranged, with DPS mod, flurry, etc being bonuses but not needed.

Instead of getting spell weapon bonus damage as well, I should be more focused on mixing it up with casting skills in order to get more double cast for Unda.

Get the quest neck for the useful flurry on wand and the even better double cast?

What purples should I wear on my armour? Cause I can see an arguement for DPS mod (spell weapon damage increased, and then I also get some incidental flurry and double cast and doublecast shoulders) but also for power.

For War Runes. Attributes, Winds, True Spirit as the core. With the rest I can see an argument for Wild Swings, Relentless Conviction, Magnitude and Screams of Battle.

Swap the 2 hander for a pair of 1 handers with decent procs. Lacerator best, but Molten Det isn't bad. Is the wand worth upgrading to a fabled Molten Det one or Blackanvil Strike, with a lacerator and another det proc as melee/symbol slots.

Drop Killing and Vigor for the collection Crit bonus and potency ones? Added bonus they can help the group.

Stand at 19m where possible and spam abilities. This kind of makes shockwave/blinding a bit useless though.

Is it worth changing the damage type on the wand to arcane for the debuffs?

Get myself to 80k ability mod, which means swapping greens to the 4k ability mod ones.

Is that about right?
  19. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

With the amount of stats, it'd be silly not to have the following on chanter for auto attack;

600 dps mod
    200 haste
    150 MA
    100 AE Auto
    60k+ Abil mod Minimum.

After that, you switch on ranged auto and ignore it.

Cloak/Belt - SDA, or if really fussy, the Flurry & SDA ones from last expac.

War Runes - Truespirits, Winds, Attributes, Screams and Magnitude imo,
    Armor Runes - SDA Shoulders, AE Auto legs/forearms, CB or Power other 4 slots.

Weapons - 1hander (Lacerator) + Secondary (Damage increasers best, failing that a large proc. Wand - Something Fabled with decent proc. Change wand to Arcane/Magic Damage.

Charms - Ditch Killing/Vigor for sure. Group CB one + either Group Pot, or Salvo.

Cast Order - To fully maximise move in/out to be in range for Shockwave/Blinding, but out for Unda. Couple of spells can be cast on move so good time to use those. Make sure you use Mimicry on the T1 dps in group, and try to get him to let you know when he's using his DPS 'chain'.
    DoomDrake and Azian like this.
  20. MrWashek Member

Based on your comment I bet I would play coercer 5 times better than you, even tho I have never played it. You are just so off. :)