Important -- Ongoing Zoning / Login issues

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Jamiss, Feb 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamiss Developer

Very important! If you are experiencing zoning or login issues, please double check your hosts file (C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) and verify that there are no hosts defined in there for any of our services. There could be web addresses for soe.com, everquest2.com, and more in there. If they are in there, please remove them or comment them out.

Our launchpad and game would not have modified these files and we cannot modify them to what they should be. Changing it had to be done by someone at the PC. This was very likely done in response to DNS issues that occurred in July referenced here: http://eq2wire.com/2014/07/15/manually-map-dns-so-you-can-access-soe-games-websites-forums/

I will reiterate. Changing this file is not something that our LaunchPad or game can or should do. The hosts file requires user input to be modified.
    Kittybock and Berte like this.
  2. Feldon Well-Known Member

I am posting a new article to explain the issue to EQ2Wire readers, AND adding a huge warning to that article saying that is old information and needs to be REVERTED.
    FriggaWitch likes this.
  3. Feldon Well-Known Member

I revised the old article to now tell people how to REMOVE the changes, and then posted a new article on how to remove the changes.
  4. Gulaep Well-Known Member

Please delete my "hosts" fix posts then if you would, I cannot edit them any more.

My original fix it post was to revert those July 2014 changes as you stated, my recent "hey, try these numbers" was due to people who supposedly had blank hosts file but still had black launcher, even after today's updates.

With your newest post saying "don't do that" I may come across as someone spreading bad news when that was not my intention.

I refer to the posts I made in this thread telling people to add ip addresses.

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq2...dos-fails-to-update-ever.558148/#post-6175373

I made several posts there.
  5. Feldon Well-Known Member

Thanks Gulaep. Frankly if people are still having DNS trouble with Daybreak servers, maybe hey should try Google DNS. It's free, easy to do, and reliable as heck. More reliable than people's ISP.
    Moonpanther and Gulaep like this.
  6. Gulaep Well-Known Member

Perhaps the new "fix it" post should be how to change your computer's DNS reference to use Google's instead so that it's updated quicker.

I don't feel like writing that up :D as I said I am not a techy techy person. I could do it for myself if need be after looking up the proper steps on how, but with many different versions of Windows out there used by Everquest II et al gamers, I do not know how the steps would vary for each version of Windows.

Since Feldon was Admin for a day, I think he should do it! haha :p
    FriggaWitch, Feldon and Moonpanther like this.
  7. Gulaep Well-Known Member

wow, you beat me only because my post took longer to write!
    Kittybock likes this.
  8. Gulaep Well-Known Member

My posts on this page need to be deleted too please:

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/index.php?threads/login-issue.558151/page-2

Thanks

EDIT: And also the reply by someone that quoted me as well.
    EDIT AGAIN: My post in this thread where I tell them ip address to try still hasn't been deleted, my other post in that thread where I mention the firewall stuff is a good post but the one before it with the ip addresses needs to be removed.

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq2...entines-day-ddos-fails-to-update-ever.558148/
  9. flameweaver Well-Known Member

As a suggestion, seeing as these appear to be DNS related problems :

You might want to try this, but be aware your mileage may vary, and if you're unsure of what to do I'd leave well alone.

I changed my primary DNS settings in my router to use Google's, public Name Server (ip address 8.8.4.4), leaving my secondary DNS set to the ip address defined by my ISP.

I made this change last year, after SOE, forget to renew their domain registration, and as Google's public name server is one of the top level name servers, it's amongst the first to get any updates, and I was back in the game 2 days earlier than most.

Now whilst the issues with logins may be unrelated to name server issues, I can say that since I made this change I have never had any "trying login" issues other than when the servers have been down, the recent DDOS attack or on the odd occasion that my connection has dropped.

As said at the outset though, YMMV.
  10. Kalycesowa New Member

What about this latest issue with logins, I didn't have a problem when you posted this but I have the last few days. I get an error where the few times before that it just said it could not connect. I have been unable to log in to Dragon"s Prophet and Everquest II for the last few days.
  11. Moaswashi New Member

Currently on Login to Unrest server I am getting a Msg stating Cannot find World Unrest. Server shows as up? Is this an Issue that others are getting. Been trying for the past 45min with no luck!

Thanks for the work you guys put in and I know if this is an ongoing issue it will be addressed or Solved Shortly.

Moaswashi
  12. Shawn v01 Member

Apparently, after following the guide, Login issues are still present.
    I can't even log in to any other server...and hey...I'll patiently wait for the fix to creep outta the woodworks :)
  13. austimus New Member

ok everytime I try to login I launch the game and it goes to a screen that says trying login server #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 then says I cant login what do I do?
  14. Xirena Member

I am having the same issue right now. It tries all the login servers and then says something to the effect that they all must be busy.
  15. Merriel Well-Known Member

Hmm I seem to be having an issue getting the launchpad to launch the game window. I have gone through the entire login process, validated files, and it says all files are up to date. When I log in, instead of the button saying 'Play' as it normally does, it says 'Playing' and when I mouse over it, it says 'The game is currently running'. This is BEFORE I hit 'Play', but since I know I haven't hit 'Play' yet, I click the 'Playing' button, and absolutely nothing happens. Up until today, I have not had these issues, so not sure what's up with that. Am going to try loading the game from the .exe file and see if I can get it to launch from there, because I've already tried a number of times from the launchpad and it just isn't working.

I am able to get the game to launch from the .exe file, so at least I can play. Still don't know why it's not working from the launchpad though.
  16. Maelevodin New Member

Merriel,

I've run into this same issue several times myself. In every case I've seen it's been that an Everquest2.exe process is still running even though it doesn't show up on the task-bar, and can't be accessed by usual means to shut down.
    Either reboot your system;
    Or
    Exit the launcher and any other game instance you have running.
    Then, launch TaskManager by either: Right Click on the task bar and then select Task Manager, or Start/Run and type in Taskmgr.exe and press enter.
    In the Task Manager window, select the Processes Tab.
    Left click on the "Image Name" or "Process Name" depending on OS version.
    Find a process/image named Everquest2.exe (May show as "Everquest2.exe *32").
    Right mouse button click on that process/image and select "End Process".
    If there are more than one wait a few seconds and then repeat the previous two steps until there are no more on the list.

Restart the Launch-Pad and you should see a "PLAY" button rather than the "PLAYING" button.
    Merriel likes this.
  17. WiseOne27 New Member

I also get to a screen that says trying login server #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 then says I cant login... what is the problem?
  18. Merriel Well-Known Member

Whatever the issue was, it was fixed in today's patch notes, as I didn't do anything, but it's running fine today again, lol.
  19. Scorpiocruz New Member

ugh login issues , continually looking for servers..............................frustrated
    Moonfyre likes this.
  20. Peace Member

I had that problem earlier, fixed it by just logging out and exiting the comp. Will try the taskmaster again the next time doing what Merriel said.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.