I'm having a REALLY hard time leveling on FG

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by cynosis, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Atan Well-Known Member

Your pet shares stats with you. So yes, your gear matters,
  2. dirgenoobforreal Well-Known Member

Because the vendor rewards are poop and I want the XP?
  3. Venser Active Member

lmao, what. vendor rewards are poop? whatever the hell that means
  4. dirgenoobforreal Well-Known Member

Every single item you buy from the merchant has reduced stats compared to the original reward for completing the quest. (And procc effects) except Manastone or are completely different, like the mask and the bag..

So LMAO away.
  5. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

Ah yes, my .2 casting speed was really worth doing the entire HQ again~
  6. Venser Active Member

literally zero gains for doing them again, lmao more.
  7. Semperfifofum Well-Known Member

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the most obvious hampers to leveling on FG:

1. The xp is EVEN slower than it was before. It wasn't until I was nearly done with both Frostfang and Qeynos that I realized I was getting about 1/2 the xp I was getting back then. Leveling was slow, but not this slow.

2. There are no BLUE areas anymore. But there were and now they're gone.

3. I don't remember, was 29% run speed on mounts the way it was? Maybe before my time. I don't remember that.

4. This is not about speed, but the suburbs of Qeynos aren't present still, so that's just to point out that nostalgia isn't really happening.

5. People can only go by the progress bar, because no xp numbers are visible in chat (and I haven't seen an option to make it visible), so it takes a while to notice you're not advancing steadily unless you're killing heroics.

I really enjoy the TLE server, but I have to admit even I find it eyeroll-causing to have so many fake obstacles that aren't nostalgic, just slowing. Sometimes I'm not in the mood for it. I'd be much more in the mood more often if at least the blue areas weren't gone, I mean since I have to go to multiple areas for questing.It's not very fun to open the map and search for each quest objective separately.

It's also false that grouping was how you leveled "back then" at least not in my memory. In my memory, your xp either bugged or was bogged down when you grouped. I remember getting 1 xp per kill in Crushbone Keep on-level (nobody was mentored, we were all within a level of each other). Grouping was for loot, not leveling. Now that's backwards. Actually I remember an announcement years ago about "xp distribution is now more fair in groups" or some such, which addressed the problem of divided xp while grouping.

6. Special quests are also nerfed. I finished a lore and legend (which used to give me about 30-50% of a lower level and was very motivating to finish them), and I got 1/10 of a level. I logged off annoyed that day.

The hint seems to be that everything lately has been referring to or rewarding hack and slash playing. It doesn't seem to be a viable option anymore to quest (in order to level) unless you don't mind constant artificial slowdowns. I was really into it at first, but now I realize it's about grouping and looting level 100 versions of HQ stuff. So it's not really about reliving it. It lost a lot of its glamour for me when I realized that.

So I hope these complaints are taken to heart and some changes are made. Because yeah I got the hint, and I'll group more, but it's not very nostalgic if all I'm going to see is the dungeons. I've seen them repeatedly before. It's the quests I skipped that are more interesting.

I think the OP has a point.
  8. jessejames Active Member

Personally I've done all these heritage quests before, I've done all the zone quest lines before. If I ever feel the need to do them I can always do them on a live server. What I couldn't do on live in over a decade is go to a non instanced RoV with multiple groups in the zone racing to get a named before the other group did. You brought up a good point about the suburbs but what I like most about this server is I don't have to solo and grouping is encouraged.

The reason why I quit eq2 last time was because all the current content (not speaking for the current expansion) seemed like you started out doing a super long SOLO boring questline to get some starter items for the expansion then grind out instanced dungeons with lock out timers to slowly get your gear until the next expansion dropped.

Maybe they can improve quest XP but not to the point where it better than grouping.
    Semperfifofum likes this.
  9. Kindread Active Member

I know this does not solve the problem, and many will scoff at my suggestion, but it worked for me.

I am one of those that usually try to be one of the first max levels on the server. I put in the extra time, take time off from work, spend real $ on EXP potions, etc. This time, however, was different.

I decided to take my time. I did nearly all of the minor group instances that most people skip. I did all the dungeon quests I could find, and decided early that I was only going to use EXP potions that I could afford with the free Daybreak Cash that I had accumulated.

The result was that I only did each contested dungeon 2-3 times. I had almost constant legendary+ loot from running all those small group instances. And actually got to enjoy the game again, something that had not really happened since the game released!

Now, I am not trying to diminish your claims that the XP is too slow. It really, REALLY is, however if you expand on what you normally do, there really is more than enough content to level up, and not get burned out on running the same dungeon 10 times in a row.
  10. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

Collect all shinies that you can, sell it on broker. Buy missing shinies to complete incomplete collection.
  11. Greene Active Member

This right here. I have no idea how they put all these obstacles to slow down leveling, then you see someone level 3-5 times in chat from handing in bought shinies. /boggle (HINT: It's been this way for every TLE server)
  12. Atan Well-Known Member

Heh, only 3-5 levels, what about 27 levels from turning in...

But yes, drive the shiny prices up, it puts more demand for people to sell me krono so they can spend my plat on shinies...
  13. Zenji Well-Known Member

Crushbone Keep? So you are referring to your experience during EOF. Yes questing was closer to dungeon leveling in EOF. We are in Vanilla, you did not quest to level in Vanilla, or DoF for that matter. You grinded dungeons in groups. For hours and hours.
  14. Kindread Active Member

Yep, you sure can grind dungeons, or you can collect shinys, pickup all the dungeon quests, do your HQ's, form groups for the small non-contested instances ... and grind dungeons.

If you ONLY grind dungeons ... I feel sorry for you, that's got to be a painful experience with this XP cap.
  15. Zenji Well-Known Member

"non-contested instances (like condemned catacombs and gobble rock hideout). I was lumping together in with grinding dungeons.

I did not go into detail about everything you do in dungeons, if people need to be told to pick up quests for a dungeon you will be in, or to pick up shinies, They have bigger problems than the XP curve. Leveling was not "painful", I had my Bruiser to 50, a week into the server. I do think the XP is a bit slower than it should be, but it is the way it is, for DBG to make money on xp/vit pots.

I actually posted a thorough list of the "non contested" instances a month ago, for people to have a change of scenery from contested dungeons.
  16. Mermut Well-Known Member

Leveling without grinding is painfully slow on Fallen Gate. Part of the reason I started playing on Fallen Gate was to take a break from the grind that live has become.. only to find that Fallen Gate is even MORE of a grind :(
    Semperfifofum and Mizgamer62 like this.
  17. Dude Well-Known Member

It's really only a grind if you want it to be. My main is at level 32 and I haven't done any grinding. I've been only questing and turning in collections that I find in the zones where I'm questing. It does require some bouncing around, but that's not really hard. After completing the island, I started in the Hate's Envy section of Darklight Woods. I finished the first and second hubs, did the quests in Neriak, and then moved to the third hub. I was able to do a few quests, but needed to move over to Freeport and the Commonlands. In Freeport I picked up some quests in the city and also the quests for the Commonlands that give faction for the different groups in Freeport. I progressed through the Commonlands timeline until it was time for the Wailing Caves. I progressed through the Wailing Caves until I felt like I could go back and finish DLW. I did that then moved back to Freeport to pick up more city, faction, and race quests. Those took me to a point where I felt like it was time for the Fallen Gate. That's where I am now. I mainly soloed, except in the Wailing Caves and Fallen Gate. In those dungeons, groups are essential.

I'm not saying this is for everyone, but there is no reason to grind. Will you be able to rush to 50 using my method? Nope, but that's not what I want from the game. I want to enjoy questing, exploring dungeons, and grouping.
    Semperfifofum and Chocoholic like this.
  18. Raff Well-Known Member

If you want to solo, go to the Live servers. FG needs a group to get a decent leveling speed....unless you are a masochist.
    Dude, Kittybock and Mermut like this.
  19. Chocoholic Active Member

Unless you are not hurrying to level cap and are enjoying it. It's all a matter of personal preference and perspective - doesn't mean someone is a masochist.
  20. Mermut Well-Known Member

The problem with that is that it takes forever to get where you're going.... and most of the quests have you running all over the zones for minimal returns.
    Most of the time is spent going between places (quest hubs, NPCs, location for updates, etc) then actually DOING things. If I was ONLY playing Fallen Gate, perhaps it wouldn't be so bad... but if it is not your primary or only server.... I just feel like most of my time is spent getting to places to do things rather then doing things.